1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name that bike...

Discussion in 'General' started by Used2befast, Nov 19, 2023.

1. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

So as a teenager obviously I was lusting over many a motorcycle and this was my dream bike. The art is mine. It's a lithograph I created in art class circa 1980's.

If you can name the magazine, month and year you are as old as dirt like me:crackup:
    Takeaguess.jpg

cha0s#242 likes this.
  2. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

FJ1100.... probably 1984. Cycle?

3. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

The wheels suggest Seca 650 Turbo. My flyer of a guess would Cycle, October '82.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  4. boxcrash

boxcrash Loading.....Please Wait

I agree that is the FJ1100, I recognize the front scopes and louvers right behind it, so probably 84' August, if Cycle World.......

I had an 87' 1200 at one point because I remember reading a review in Cycle World about the 1100 or maybe 1200, do not recall for sure and the line that stuck with me was describing the roll on acceleration, the one that wrote it said "As if the hand of God slung you forward....."
    After I read that I knew I had to have one, owned one in the mid-90's and man did it pull hard............throw a supercharger/turbo on one of those bad boys and show up all these TicTac roll racers with an 80's bike, lol :D

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I clipped this picture out of a mid summer 1980 issue of Cycle World. Joined the CG in August 80 and bought this bike January of 81 in Key West. It was my dream bike and I lived the dream. Met my wife 6 months later thanks to this machine. I still have it...in 100 pieces :D

[​IMG]

SpeedyE, cha0s#242, ToofPic and 4 others like this.
  6. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

Something for you, brought it back to life last winter IMG_2023-11-19-103444.jpeg

Pride & Joy, SpeedyE, JBall and 7 others like this.
  7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Get off the beep and get out to the garage and get to work on that bike dammit!

rd400racer likes this.
  8. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

My daily is a 91 FJ12 with modern upgrades.

9. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Yamaha FJ600

10. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Not that familiar with diesel bikes, just wanted to say nice art work! I have zero creative skills.

Oh, and ...

[​IMG]

Used2befast, rd400racer and borislav like this.
  11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

A couple years later than that I went to get a new Honda 750. The salesman said "we have a new V4 Honda 750 that just came out."
    I rode off in a new red V45 Sabre....I've had about 15 Honda V4s since then, there's a gen 6 VFR in the garage right now.

rd400racer likes this.
  12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Fixed.

Boman Forklift and rd400racer like this.
  13. Used2befast

Yep, this is the bike...even got mag and year right. I think it was Aug issue. Impressive indeed.

14. Used2befast

It's funny you get real creative when your art teacher is telling you fail the class unless you do something interesting :confused:

Boman Forklift likes this.
  15. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I'm old like you. Maybe older. Plus I had a hankering for this bike as well, but was too busy spending money racing. I forget who was endurance racing one of them...Northridge?

16. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

I also passed this test. My third bike was an 83 CB1100F after a VT500 ascot, and at yam 175. I'd give my middle nut for a CB now, but boy howdy was that thing a bitch to live with back then. The FJ too I'd love to have.

The Yamaha shop in my town was in decline in 1985. I went there on my 1981 DT175 many days per week for years to look at all the cool stuff I couldn't afford.

When the owner no longer cared, he started just tossing me keys to stuff, first a 550 Vision and a 650 Maxim. Then decided since I brought them back intact, here's the V-Max and next the FJ1100. Both of those I had over 140 within probably 3 minutes of leaving his shop... haha. God bless Kenny Berndt for getting me into this screwed up motorcycle fascination.

YamahaRick likes this.
  17. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

18. Used2befast

So, funny you mention spending money. There was a kid in 10th grade and his parents must have wanted a big life insurance payout. First, they buy him this F250 that had been modified and was just fast as snot. After jumping it over the railroad tracks numerous times and cracking the frame he was grounded.

1 month later...he called us over and my jaw hit the ground as i stared at a yamaha Seca turbo (82 or 83 model) in his garage. :eek:

He said he rode it once (no license) and it scared the crap out of him. I wasn't scared but I wasn't allowed to take it for a spin:mad:

19. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I don't know that you would have been impressed. Of the turbos that were made, I'd rate it a distant 2nd behind the GPz750. Maybe even behind the Suzuki. It was a heavy pig, with quite a bit of lag.

A. Barrister likes this.
  20. Used2befast

Probably so but I'm sure it was way faster than my 72 Suzuki TS 350 I rode