1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 90s Best decade of motorcycle racing

Discussion in 'General' started by John Branch, Nov 9, 2023.

1. 27

27 Well-Known Member

that’s cool! My kids started digging into old backpacks and pulled out and love old race clothes and styles… they even wear berets and bucket hats I wore in the 90s all the time :D they’re only 11 and 13 now… funny unexpected heartwarming feeling :)

2. John Branch

John Branch 90125

I would have started racing in the eighties, but my parents were not signing forms for me. I totaled my 86 gsxr 750 in my highschool parking lot so there’s that . I got my shit together and started racing as soon as I could.
    I could have started racing late seventies or the 80s , still doesn’t change the quality and entries numbers threw the 90s in supercross, worldsuper bike , 500gp , ama super bike , flat track and wera !

27 likes this.
  3. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

[​IMG]
    My daughter with a photo of my friend Warren Reid, taken perhaps in 1975? I bought this jersey in 1976. Photo taken last weekend at a friend of Warren's, at a fundraising charity ride.

malamute, SpeedyE, motodog650 and 7 others like this.
  4. 27

27 Well-Known Member

About everyone I knew started racing because of crashes or cops… or both… in the 90s… the grids were epic for sure, 3 wave Wera grids in every race… my first 200 over 120 racers from all over the world were trying for those 80 spots… I crashed early in Q but still barely made it 78th spot iirc… finished 38th I think…

5. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

Yep , south Florida races during the 90s, also had two wave starts with 80 riders in 600 supersport class . Quite a few racers on the grid in south Florida were racing on stolen bikes . Crazy times

6. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I’ve seen pics from before I was racing, of the V7 class 3 waves deep at the GNF. I ended up swapping bikes just to have more consistent grid size.

ToofPic likes this.
  7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Actually that comment was so funny, not the picture, but sure have fun. IMG_5122.jpeg IMG_5121.jpeg IMG_5120.jpeg IMG_5119.jpeg IMG_5118.jpeg

John Branch, ToofPic and 27 like this.
  8. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

When I started, C Novice grids were all the way back into T10 at Putnam. Many times we couldn't even make 3 laps. Someone bit in T4 or the bus stop.

27 likes this.
  9. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Was it Oak Hill in TX that got raided by the cops and they were confiscating bikes? Like 02 maybe?

10. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
    John Branch and Boman Forklift like this.
  11. 27

27 Well-Known Member

one of the funniest riders meetings I was ever in was called because the 600 exp money race couldn’t do a lap without a red flag at Grattan… Ray Yoder, who is a great guy, had just came back to racing but I didn’t know him at all… he’s a short body builder guy who seemed to have some roid rage that day and spouted off to everyone that he “was nice about it the first three starts but he’s out of patience” to which I decided to mouth off “wth are you talking about I went around the outside of you every time?!?” :D

He glared at me so I did it again on the last start and made him feel welcome with some clean but hard racing… we became friends after that… fun times!

12. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Don't even get started on the canal at the end of the straight at Moroso that was full of gators. Or the time they dropped a chain in there to pull someone's bike out and another one came out from years prior.

One thing the airline business has taught me (after 20+ years of flying with people older than me):

No matter where you are, or what you're doing now, you just missed out on the good old days by 10 years.

HPPT, Boman Forklift and YamahaRick like this.
  13. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Best decade for racing?

The 1970's
    Lydden 78.jpg

or should that be the 1980's? Brands 89b.jpg

maybe the 1990's
    Mallory 93b.jpg

it could be the 2000's
    Mid-Ohio 05b.jpg

or the 20teens
    Mid Ohio 15b.jpg

even the 2020's
    Gingerman 21.jpg

As far as I'm concerned they're all good for different reasons.

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

15. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Once a Wanker.. and 27 like this.
  16. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  17. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Yes, AHRMA at Gingerman. The first three were from Lydden Hill, Brands Hatch and Mallory Park, the other two from Mid Ohio.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  18. 27

27 Well-Known Member

it’s amazing how even the grass paddock pic will resonate with us racers…. One of my odd skills I guess :)… I was there with a great, now late friend Johnny Szoldrak… he was riding a hopped up CB400 and one of my 1199S Panigales :D at the ripe age of 72… he loved riding that Duc but admitted 200hp may be a bit much for him :D really cool history you have in our sport! Thanks for sharing!

John Branch and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  19. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

1-How to save motorcycle road racing.
    2-Why the 90's were the best for racing.
    Back in 1990? I bought a new GSXR, the sales manager said, " Hey this comes with a free Team Suzuki Advanced Riding School at the track"
    I was like, "Sign me the fuk up bro"
    First one was at Pocono w/Wes Cooley. When I went back in the dealership he asked "How'd it go?" I said " I can't believe it's free or even legal,
    he said "Dude, you are the 'only one' who's said yes" I was like "So what happens to all the free trackday schools?" He pointed to a pile of papers on his desk.
    Needless to say, every couple weeks I went back to the dealer, assumed some dudes identity and did every Team Hammer School I could make those years. The first one had me like heroine...
    We need something like this today, get more people engaged maybe JU/Suzuki again maybe YCRS/Yamaha, somebody please unplug these kids.....

20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That's funny!!

When I decided I wanted my own business, I originally wanted a motorcycle shop. I actually even entered into escrow on a Yamaha/Kawasaki/Polaris shop. My plan was to offer entry level California Superbike School sessions for any new sport bike sales. That was in 99-00 and that deal never happened. Who knows if that would have been successful or not?

I haven't come up with an equally cool idea for forklifts. :D