1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Endurance 2024. Open discussion..

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by regularguy, Oct 26, 2023.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm just not seeing an upside to a three hour, I get everyone always wants more but it wouldn't attract more teams or make the race end any differently or really even increase the bottom line paying for the day. The 2 hour is great but it is not and never will be the main focus, it's a great starting point and a way for the kids to get good track time on the 400's but it's always going to be a short term stepping stone.

CleverRiver6 likes this.
  2. Lance Molnar

Lance Molnar Aoxomoxoa

Big bikes open practice 8-10 AM then 6 hour race 11-5 on Friday, the ULW 2 hour to start the racing on Saturday 11-1 followed by sprints for the rest of the day. Then full day of sprints Sunday. That's about the only thing that sux about the endurance weekends - sprint only guys don't want to travel too far for a single day weekend and thus the sunday sprints tend to be a bit thin.

And if I'm truly being honest as to why I propose this, as someone who runs both the 2 and 4 hour races with no pit crew, it's a pretty hectic freaking day...I don't even feel like doing sprints the following day and I'm already at the track.

A dedicated day for the big bikes w/ a longer race....kids in ULW don't have to skip school friday for the 2 hour race...double sprints weekend (for most of the sprint classes)...too bad tracks weren't rent two days get one free....

Side notes:
    1. see no value in limiting tank size imo
    2. don't see a need for any major rule changes
    3. having the generators/tire warmers was nice...but it was confusing on timing this year...i think it will get better as time goes on
    4. if relay is causing a problem for some because of how shows up in positioning or something or whatever...just start 'em from pitlane a half hour after the race start, hten they'll be at the bottom of the time sheets except for the crashers and mechanicals
    5. still no more fun form of racing out there...I'll take whatever you'll give me...

prudolf, BOMDIVR and CleverRiver6 like this.
  3. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Kawasaki just revealed the 2024 Ninja 500 (it's actually 451cc) which replaces the 2023 Ninja 400.

4. CleverRiver6

CleverRiver6 Well-Known Member

2023 I think the N400 will still be on top. Simply bc the bikes aren't scheduled to hit dealers in the States till March/April 2024, and that assumes zero delays + you need time for people to figure them out, parts availability etc.
    Now 2025, I absolutely think they will slay

5. The B Team

The B Team Member

'26 to see them on the WERA grid if Sean's earlier answers to my questions are any indication. I wonder at what point does a bike stop becoming an ULW though. Small bikes were supposed to be all the rage (and have been,) but now they just keep getting bigger and bigger, and expensive again, and the 500 would theoretically be pushing up against SV power levels, at least on paper.

6. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

all the 400/450/500 twins are designed for the European graduated license system where an A2 license can operate a motor cycle up to 48hp. They're hp/tq levels will not come close a LW endurance spec bike. When we get our RS457, it will be on the race track immediately. We may have to stick a belly pan on the stock bodywork but it will be out there.

t11ravis, CleverRiver6 and The B Team like this.
  7. The B Team

The B Team Member

I was on my phone earlier and missed the part where it's only 451cc and understand about the limits. My comment about grids was uniquely aimed at being in a competitive class on the endurance grid. I guess if they see a 457 perform and decide to bump the displacement up, then it would work out for '25. Apologies that I thought it was yet another step up from the 450's.

8. Russell Masecar

Russell Masecar Well-Known Member

I know it's the bbs, and this may sound stupid (and I shouldn't be posting on the bbs in the first place), but it would be nice to know the names (like sign your name at the bottom of your post...perhaps) of those posting their good suggestions (or not so good suggestions...) so ancient idiots, like myself, can try to understand theoretical validity of said improving-the-endurance-series ideas.

(I know I'm an idiot for typing that...but that's what idiots do)

Russell Masecar
    RBoM Racing

9. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Stay off the wera bbs!

10. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

How big of a headache did you get after typing that?

Monsterdood and t11ravis like this.
  11. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

That's Russell's PC way of pulling the "Do you know who the F I am?!" card.

No Brakes likes this.
  12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I'd love to be able to run the 2 hour and the 4 hour with 2-3 riders (I'd need 3 to make it financially realistic) in one day. As it is, our usual 2 rider team does the 4 hour and goes home. We'd likely pay for more Endurance time, but not for sprints.

13. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Our team would run the 2 hour and 4 hour also.... We just want more track time.
    We do not stick around for sprints.

14. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Something else to think about. If you limit the fuel capacity on heavyweight bikes then you have to limit the capacity on the mediumweight bikes. If not, then a mediumweight team that can go 1:15 (or more) on their big tank would have a huge advantage over the heavyweight bikes that can't make it to an hour. Another issue, who's going to enforce all of this?

15. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

From my experience, rules that can't be easily enforced, are not good rules. They will be broken. People will ignore it until they get mad. They will protest, and the person that has been breaking the rule will be mad at everyone for busting them (even thought it's their own fault). Bad feelings for everyone involved, protestor cheater rules enforcer, will come from it.

Shenanigans, t11ravis and regularguy like this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And then of course with fuel stuff you'll have the teams not believing that a legal tank is legal because they're running a different map and the other team must be cheating since they got more laps in before needing fuel... So even if measured and found legal it won't matter to the protesting team, it'll be either cheating or WERA being incompetent.

17. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

I know this is a tough one but try to keep teams honest with their transponders during practice/qualifying. There were a couple teams out there putting their transponders on 'back-up' bikes. Not a huge deal, as you have 4 hours to get position but still...

18. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Is there a rule where you must do qualifying on the same bike you start the race with? I would think if bike is class legal then you can qualify on it. What if you crash the “A” bike in qualifying.

Both WCR bikes are identical but would like to know the official rule on this subject.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

There is no requirement it be the same bike. We're not giving out awards or points or the like, just trying to get a decent safe start. If we required the same bike then we'd also need to double check and require the same rider since as most of you know that can be a much larger issue in laptimes than the bikes are.

Also before people start complaining too much it has been proven over and over and over again that in a 4 hour long race you don't need to be on the front row to be competitive.

DmanSlam and regularguy like this.
  20. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Hey Russell!
    Not necessarily a big poster, but I've always signed them with my name.

No more big tanks: Why? Takes away from the investment most teams have made over the years. You don't have to buy a World Endurance tank for three grand to go big, just get a welder you trust and go to town. Looks don't count either. Limitations on tank size brings enforcement into play, and are the organizers prepared to go there?

Limit it to stock tanks? No, I had a 675 with a dry break, and just cutting out the filler neck added half a gallon. No change to the tank itself though.

There is a two hour limit for the rider, and I doubt anyone is trying to carry enough gas to go that far, particularly on a big bike. But if they do, more power to them!

What I would like to see is a listing of the riders for each race, and all the riders the teams have used for the season. The rulebook says 5 and it seems like I have seen at least one large successful team list six over their season. Might as well call that a relay team of riders... :Poke:

It would be nice to see the riders tied to their Wera rider listing as well. I would like to see my endurance starts listed along with my sprint racing over the years.

Still tons of fun, even if you're not gunning for the overall win...

E Reed, Waterboy and Kyle Brosius like this.