1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haulmark Low Hauler - is the height (or lack thereof) worth it?

Discussion in 'General' started by nlzmo400r, Nov 6, 2023.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

These trailers look nice, but instead of the typical 6'3" interior, they're 5'6". Is this really that much better on fuel? Is it worth having to be bent over loading and unloading? Seems like it might be great for people who ONLY load a bike or two in and hit the road, but maybe not for dudes loading 2-3 bikes, pit scooter, generator, fuel jugs, stands, tools etc etc for a race weekend. Anyone have any personal experience with these they can share?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

Not enough difference in fuel savings to have to hunch over loading/unloading. If there's any.....it'll be very little.

Get the stand up height. If you ever need to hunker down inside during rain, etc., you'll be thankful for the head room.

mpusch, TurboBlew, nlzmo400r and 2 others like this.
  3. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

If you’re 5 foot 5, then go for it.

4. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Nothing like standing upright when you're hunkering down. Good pernt.

BrentA likes this.
  5. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

You'll hate yourself after you hit your head entering it, because of the baseball cap you were wearing.

6. The B Team

The B Team Member

From someone that has a low-height trailer, don't do it. It took me a good solid 4 or 5 hits to finally remember to duck. I'd be upset about it had I not gotten such a solid deal on it. Can't comment on fuel economy...my van is over 9' tall.

BrentA likes this.
  7. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Easiest trailer I ever pulled. Hardly knew it was back there. I didn’t work out of it, so the height didn’t bother me.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Only way Id own a low roof height trailer was if it could be tilted up like a tonneau cover. If you want to see how inconenient they are... rent a uhaul

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  9. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Friend has one. I’m 5’7 and i feel like a god towering above it all.

I learned quickly how tall folks feel needing to duck down

10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

No, I ordered mine with 6" of extra height.

11. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

Don't do it, especially if you'll be doing any work in it, or using it as accommodations at any point.

My last race trailer was a +6" and we really appreciated the extra height. Especially when loading or avoiding rain.

12. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Truth.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Only reason to get one of those is if you must put it in a garage and that garage is super short.

nlzmo400r and Razr like this.
  14. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

The bigger fuel saver is to get one with a sharper front V and drop. We have both a 6x12 V nose and a 7x21 V nose. The 12ft on has a 14in or so V, whereas the 21ft has about a 4ft V, as well a a bit of a taper down at the front. The bigger trailer pulls 10x nicer, and easier. Both are 6ft 2in interiors (or.close to that)

nlzmo400r likes this.
  15. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Main reason for getting that trailer is to fit it in a garage. If you have an HOA its perfect.

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

... you need to move.

G2G, mastermind and brex like this.
  17. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I hauled one from FL to Laguna a couple of times. Texas also along with some long east coast trips. As a transport trailer it's amazing, was glad to pull it instead of the big trailer. Transport is all it was used for though. Certainly wouldn't want to work out of it so it's pretty limited use but they certainly fill a niche.

IMG_20231107_132054~2.jpg

IMG_20231107_131937~2.jpg

TurboBlew, Once a Wanker.. and BrentA like this.
  18. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Many lower height trailers are for access to entering a residential garage door, say 16 wide x 7 high. We have had ours since 2008 (Legend low rider) 16x7 tandem axle. I have hit myself a time or two but, the wife is always doing it. LOL! I dont mind the lower height. works for us. Ski

19. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

20. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

you will crack your head hard!