1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GYTR/YEC ecu vs FTECU flash? 17+ r6

Discussion in 'Tech' started by rpm894, Oct 31, 2023.

1. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

Someone told me he switched to the “race” ecu and wiring harness for his 2017+ R6 and it made a huge difference. I’m assuming he meant the GYTR/YEC ecu and harness. Not sure if that’s true or if maybe his previous flash was just not as good.

I’m considering getting a second r6, and I see some for sale with the YEC setup and some with the FTECU license. But I don’t know if there are meaningful differences to care about.

Can someone please explain the difference between the kit harness / ecu and something like the FTECU race license software? Does one allow adjusting more things than the other?

2. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Following. Ive had the Race ECU and harness on my R1, but not on my R6 yet. I just have a flashed ECU on my 17 R6. Looking to go with the race harness and ECU early next year.

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

If you don't get the license along with the bike, you can't access the FT ECU and change anything without buying another license. However, with the kit box, anyone with a YEC cable and the YEC software can access it.

Kit box doesn't include blip capabilities, but that can be addressed with a Translogic box. Flashed ECU can be made to blip. There are some other minor differences, but both setups can be made to work well. With some time and diligence, OEM harness can be de-pinned to the same clean install as the kit harness.

4. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

That would explain why I always see the Translogic with the kit ecu.

I think I read on FTECU’s site that even with their pro license, you can’t adjust AB downshifts, only the QS timing. If the Translogic can adjust AB, that would be one benefit. I get some rough downshifts / bike lurching forward once in a while on my current r6 with the FTECU flash and AB sensor.

5. backho

backho Well-Known Member

My auto blip function is very smooth with the FT on a 2017 R6 as long as the throttle is completely closed.

6. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, what does a race harness and ecu do differently than a stock harness with flashed ecu? Does the harness make a difference other than cleaning up all the unused connectors?

7. OutOfSpec

OutOfSpec eccentric thousandaire

I do know the translogic box can adjust parameters for AB downshift, I can't speak to its usefulness though - I haven't needed to tweak the settings on mine yet. iirc, there are 6 adjustments you can make: 1 for pressure sensitivity for the AB sensor, and then blip duration, which you can adjust in 5 different segments of rev range. The Translogic box is not 'smart' enough to know what gear you're in, so you don't get full control over blip timing on a per-gear basis, but I haven't ridden a bike that fancy to know if it really makes a difference...

Dumb follow on question: does the kit ECU need the race wiring harness as well, or could you use a kit ECU with stock harness? If the kit ECU needs the race wiring harness purchased separately, then the FTEcu option sounds like a much better 'value prop' to me if the major practical benefit to the race harness is just ditching unused parts from stock...

8. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

The kit harness relocates stuff to better crash friendly places (like the ecu from the side of the bike to under the seat), gets rid of some unused street connections and technically lighter.

9. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

That is true for the R1 Kit ECU (Side of bike), but the R6 is already under the seat. I havent used a Kit wire harness for the R6 yet. I have on the R1. For the R1, the kit harness must be used in conjunction with the ECU. I am not sure about the pinouts forthe R6 ECU to stock harness.

Those questions I usually call Attack Racing and they are very helpful.

10. grapejuiceboys

grapejuiceboys Well-Known Member

MDM pointed out the main differences well.

The FTecu uses the stock harness but there's a plug that needs repinned. There's instructions from them on how to do it.

I'm not sure this has changed but in order to change any of the settings with FTecu an internet connection is required. I guess this gives them the ability to monitor what changes are being made.

If there's any mismatch with the license or you lose the internet connection you can be locked out of your ECU. This will then require you to get ahold of FTecu and deal with their "customer service" which can be a real pain in the ass. If this happens during the weekend, too bad, you'll be waiting until Monday. Usually when you're locked out it reverts all settings back to stock and disables quickshift and autoblip.

This usually isn't the place for this but I have a 2017 R6 ECU with FTecu and harness with shift sensor sitting. I'd be willing to sell for a reasonable price.

11. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

The FTECU license check can be a real pain if your track is in the middle of nowhere, there are too many people on a cell tower or the track wifi, and/or you dont know how to hotspot with your phone. I'm a little sad to hear they still have that functionality. License checks are common, but there has to be a better way.

12. Dillonjohnson

Dillonjohnson Well-Known Member

I know they can only crash proof these things so much, but I really hate the kit ecu being on the side of the new r1. Coming from riding r6’s for years, I miss it being under the seat. The last low side took a toll on a shit load of wiring and connectors on my R1.

13. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

My ECU has a FTecu sticker on it with the license number and says unlimited. Can any engine guy re flash it with that license number or would I need to track down the guy that did the current tune? It sounds like licenses are associated with a particular FTecu account and a transfer has to happen, but not sure. I’d like to add the launch control if possible.

14. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

If I remember correctly for my last 17 R6 I bought it had a FTECU and the guy had to give me his account info as its tied to an email address. I logged in and changed the PW but it is forever tied to the email address. So my tuner who is licensed FT used my log in info to change tuning flash. Otherwise I would have had to buy another license.

15. OutOfSpec

OutOfSpec eccentric thousandaire

also, iirc, for the 2017+ R6, launch control isn't an 'a la carte' option for FTecu - you either get it as a part of the whole race tools license, or you don't get it at all. Bummer, because both the auto-blip and active-tune features can be added separately, I'd love to know if there is a software reason why launch control effectively needs to be part of the full race license, or if it's just a business strategy to limit it...

16. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

They put up so many hurdles to make sure they get every dollar owed to them that they aren’t ever getting any of my dollars.

17. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

I used the original FT, before they nuked it, declared bankruptcy to shutoff lawsuits, and then re-emerged as a new company with a new business model based on the data the original users supported. I get it, capitalism is king and someone wanted more money. I wouldn't touch it now. Actually waiting for the EPA smack them like what is going on in the diesel tuning industry. That will give me a giggle.

For a racer the price of their software suite is pretty good. But buyer be warned, once they have to prove that it is only being used on off road vehicles expect even more hassles.