1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harbor Freight toolbox who has one?

Discussion in 'General' started by sonicnofadz, Aug 7, 2013.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

http://www.harborfreight.com/five-drawer-service-cart-95272.html

I have two of these in the shop that I use daily.

One travels with me to 100+ track days and races a year. After three years and 1000s of miles in the trailer, and being rolled up and down the gate literally 100s of times, the steel where the one caster mounts gave out and the bottom shelf kinked. I took the wheels off and put it in the shop and bought another one. Gladly. For $150, I didn't think it would last forever but I'm impressed with how nice they are and how long it did last.

For what they cost, if I have to replace them every 3 years, I'm completely fine with that. I'd have to go through a lot of these before I'd be at the $3500 Snap On equivalent, which is nicer, but not $3350 nicer.

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

cool.

3. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

Exact issue with mine. If they just sold that bottom shelf it would be great. Or doubled the thickness of the steel for that shelf I would have zero complaints.

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

any word on these tool boxes? i like the idea of the wood work bench on top, and it's not too big.. $300 is a decent price, IF it's not a total POS.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/46-in...023&campaignid=23857408212620618&adset=Incl.+[Gender:+Men+-+Flexible+Incl+{Interests:+Sema;+Motor+Trend;+Lifted+Trucks;+Pep+Boys;+Advance+Auto+Parts;+National+Hot+Rod+Assoc;+O'Reilly+Auto+Parts;+Autozone;+Hot+Rod+(Magazine);+Car+And+Driver;+Discount+Tire;+Road+&+Track}]+Excl.+[Custom+Audience+{All+Active+&+Lapsed+Customers+June+2023}]&adsetid=23857408212440618&utm_content=(Couponed)+-+Campaign:+Super+Savings+Weekend+-+Creative:+Carousel+-+Size:+1080+-+Created:+2023.10.26+-+Copy&adid=23862174025060618&fbclid=IwAR09h3YwMFOGzwjPY86l3bs0rAgDrr__JreHgepK2q0fuhaMRTcPX8PEdz0

[​IMG]

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Two year ago I looked at that one and the Husky version at HD and the Husky seemed better built. Around Christmas HD had them for sale at the same price as HF. They'll probably have them again in about a month.

[​IMG]

MELK-MAN likes this.
  6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

HD actually has a nice selection.. checkin em out on their website. not looking for pro mechanic level snap on stuff, just something decent to store tools in that i'll use on occasional weekends.

This one is standing out for me. $1200, 62" wood work bench top, power strip, nice drawers, and it's the heavy duty one vs their standard duty so more weight capacity, longer warranty, etc.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-6...d-Top-in-Matte-Black-HOLC6214BB1MYS/302158736

Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
  7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I got rid of all the old workbench/storage crap I had and bought all Husky items because the sale was so good. On the other side I've got a couple huge Gladiator storage shelves and another cabinet like the red one and if I recall it was under $1500 for it all. Downside is it's like building an Erector kit.

[​IMG]

AC1108 and MELK-MAN like this.
  8. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i just got the 72" Series 3 in black over the summer. it's pretty damn nice. just a pain to get it home from the store

MELK-MAN likes this.
  9. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Greg, you can buy the butchblock tops local, and choose the box you want. then you are not roped into one box choice. I have snap on stuff at home, and I have the 26" Tool box from HF, for the toyhauler. they are decent units. I put a block top on the big snap on at home. Ski

MELK-MAN and Rico888 like this.
  10. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

I got gen2s, and they are good, though I'm not hard on them. Would like a few more deep drawers, and gen3s have them.

11. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Craftsmans and Husky in the garage, US General (Harbor Frieght) in the race trailer. All do the job. The 1st Craftsman tool cabinet/mid and chest combo I have is fromthe 90's back when they were built heavy duty. Got a 41" cabinet last month and its not as robust, but works. he US General one is pretty stout. Husky are a tick flimsier, but do work.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

I was going to get one of those for my business, use it like a mobile supply cabinet. If you compare it to a US General box it's pretty flimsy. May still get one for my purpose, but wouldn't with the intention of loading it with tools.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I have buddy who got one like that from HF last year on sale. It seems like a decent box. Even better deal when you consider the price.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I wonder how they will hold up in the long run?

15. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

MELK-MAN likes this.
  16. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I have 5 of those double door, tall storage cabinets that I picked up 10 yrs ago at a school sale, that was closing down....Maybe $50 for all 5. They're not as wide from side to side as that Husky though....Can't go wrong with those type of cabinets for storage.

rd400racer likes this.
  17. gapman789

Review after review, always seems to favor the HF tool boxes/cabinets/chests over the overpriced other Chinese built stuff like Snap-on, Jegs, etc.

No doubt that name brand is the last thing to look at when buying tool boxes and the like.

18. prm

prm Well-Known Member

19. gapman789

"Made with Global Materials"....so the casters, drawer handles, nuts and bolts, etc are imported from overseas and then it's put together in a factory in the USA. Not exactly 'Made in USA'. It's the norm for everything nowadays.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  20. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

I have a few of these 26” cabinets in my garage and they are great, especially when the price is below ~$250 with coupons.
    They are phasing out the series2 which this one is, so they are discounted until gone. The price for the yellow and green is crazy good for what you get.

Michael Hausknecht likes this.