1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for a Bike Hauler

Discussion in 'General' started by suzuki_steve, Oct 18, 2023.

?

You already own the Civic, what would you choose?

1. Civic with trailer

15 vote(s)
    78.9%
  2. Tacoma

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. suzuki_steve

suzuki_steve Member

I'll start off by saying that I am new and if this thread belongs in a different section, moderators do your thing.

A friend took me to the track a couple weeks ago and I am hooked, the only problem I have is getting there. I live in an apartment in Southern California, so space is at a premium and gas is unbelievably expensive. I currently drive a 2017 Civic Si. It has 88k miles on it, which should easily last me years to come. Here are the two options I am considering:

1. Install a trailer hitch and rent a uhaul trailer every time I go to the track.
    Pros:
    Cheapest options, as far as initial cost and daily use when commuting to work.
    Cons:
    Added wear and tear on my car.
    Will devalue my car.
    Will generally suck driving to the track. In California we have a 55 MPH speed limit while towing (not that you would want to go much faster in a Civic towing).​
    2. Trade in my Civic for a Tacoma.
    Pros:
    Will haul better and will not require a trailer.
    Can drive to the track above 55.
    Cons:
    High up front cost with added daily operating cost.​

I am leaning towards hitching the Civic. I have never been crazy about Toyota's current Tacoma and I do not want to wait for 2024 to come out. I also do not want buy a trailer. The added cost in storage does not seem worth it to me. Uhaul rents motorcycle trailers for $15 a day, which is a steal IMO. The only downside with those rentals, is that they weight roughly 800 lbs, which with a sport bike is a lot for a Civic to tow.

Let me know what you guys think I should do.

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

If your Civic can safely pull a 1500 lb trailer, that's what I would do. Lots of variables though...how many trackways will you do, you have a bike, leathers, all the gear? How does your buddy get his stuff to the track? Budget?
    Welcome to the sickness!

3. suzuki_steve

suzuki_steve Member

Thanks! The safety in pulling a 1500lb trailer is my biggest concern. Growing up I used to tow two dirtbikes with a ~500 lb trailer, so roughly the same weight. The CRV made less power than my civic, but was more set up for towing. It would strain under load at highway speeds, but it was doable. I have read that Honda only recommends 1000lbs for towing, but the trailer hitches I have seen have a 200lb tongue weight and 2000lb tow weight. Again it is one of those things of just because you can, does not mean you should.

As far as track days, I have a goal to do one every two months. I have two potential days picked out next month, understanding also that this sport is seasonal. I already have all of the gear. My buddy towed my bike and his with his truck.

I do not have a set budget for it. I have the money for a Tacoma in savings, but I really do not want to spend it until the new one comes out or really at all. I am not in love with my Civic, but it is a good cheap car. This potential truck might be an unnecessary
    cost that would not get used enough to justify. I would rather spend my money on upgrading my bike, but that is a whole 'nother thread.

4. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

I'm wrapping up my second year of this sickness and live in an apartment a block from the DC metro, so I've been dealing with the space problem too. But I'm wondering why you only want to do one day every two months. How much you ride is an important factor in making decisions about logistics. How sure are you that you are going to be riding so infrequently?

5. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Put hitch on the civvie and buy a Black Widow carrier

6. suzuki_steve

suzuki_steve Member

So I guess that is a good point. I would ideally like to go at least once a month, but I don’t see that happening year round. I am in the military so sometime I am gone for long periods of time or busy with work ups when I am home. I am just trying to be realistic instead of buying something based on a dream.

7. suzuki_steve

suzuki_steve Member

That looks like it would destroy my car. The bumper would be dragging.

SpeedyTide and Boman Forklift like this.
  8. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

Pulling the trailer is one thing. How well will it stop the trailer? Thats a pretty light car for a 1500lb load. I think your best bet would be to invest in a lightweight trailer that stores easily. Something like a Kendon trailer.

flewid and Sabre699 like this.
  9. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Rent a pick up truck for each track day.

My only issue with that is the loading/unloading. I'm a vertically challenged individual, so anything bigger than a Zuma (scooter) would be a difficult task for me.

rd400racer likes this.
  10. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Your Civic will pull a trailer with one sport bike on it just fine. A hitch setup is likely $200ish. If you can rent trailers at Uhaul for $15/day, that's the easiest most cost effective route to get started. In time you can determine if you want to stay that route or pursue other methods. I tow a Harbor Freight trailer with two bikes on it with a BMW 3 series and you barely know it's back there. I've seen guys tow with Mini Coopers and VW Jettas, your Civic will do well.

11. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Hitch on the Civic and buy a harbor freight trailer.
    Uhaul ones are super heavy.

Ive been going to the track for about 11 years.
    Always towed with either a Acura TL, VW Golf, or Audi S3.
    Never had a problem.

12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

16’ box truck with a Tommy Lift.

Preferably with a chipped pre-emission diesel. :D

tl1098 and Sabre699 like this.
  13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Not sure what your storage situation is, but one idea is keep your eye out for a used one bike Kendon (or similar). They fold up to nothing and are excellent bike transporters. If you eventually find that you're not into the scene it can be sold for close to what you paid. The Civic won't even know it's towing. Also not quite understanding why you think a hitch will devalue your car? I would imagine half the people looking for used Civics have bike racks that need a hitch.

Sabre699 likes this.
  14. Irate

Irate Member

I tow a uhaul trailer with a Hyundai Kona which I doubt is all that much heavier than a civic in the end. It doesn't feel sketchy stopping or going and I still get above 20MPG towing, which is better than my tacoma got without a trailer.

I'd love to get a Kendon but I don't want to tie up my garage space which is already limited and it's hard to justify the cost when a uhaul is only 15 dollars a day

Boman Forklift likes this.
  15. mb17

mb17 Broughton859

Pros and cons both ways. I used to use an e36 BMW that I drilled through the spare tire floor to install a hitch and it worked great for years. Of course, you can't bring that much stuff with you like what I use now which is a Sprinter but you can't beat the simplicity of it and owning a small car in the city plus what you save on gas. Mine was a straight 6 cylinder though so it didn't struggle at all in a trailer and bike. My buddy's civic that we used also worked but it definitely struggled more to pull our bikes up hills.

16. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

A Taco is a lot cooler than a Civic... Cool points always count. :Poke:

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

If that is a bumper carrier that is a bad idea on a civic. It will bottom out and you will be on the bump stops. I did this once on a Dodge grand caravan and took two RS125’s from s cal to Phoenix for a USGPRU race. Trailer that I usually used was much better.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
    Shenanigans likes this.
  18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

This and a few others on here are correct. I’ve towed 1-2 bikes with a VW diesel rabbit, a Suzuki samurai, a diesel Isuzu, and those had under 70 hp.

I’m in S Cal too, I have a harbor freight trailer you can come borrow to see what you think about towing with the civic. You would have to buy and install a hitch either yourself or at U-Haul.

The harbor freight, or an even better solution the kendon, is much better IMO versus the much heavier u-haul.

Or, I have an old 95 Toyota Tacoma you could borrow and just leave your civic at my shop. Then you could try both options. You can get away with towing at 65, but in California you can’t tow in the fast lanes, the cops will ticket you.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
  19. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

20. bncadvr

bncadvr Well-Known Member

I've towed my Kendon with a sportbike with a Prius, which did fine and still got 38mpg, and I have seen a guy at the track with a Prius and the Uhaul 5x9 bike trailer. $15 per day sounds really low to me, but that does vary by location. Either way, maybe do a few days with the uhaul, then get a harbor freight folding trailer or kendon. I wouldn't buy a new car for this if you really don't want to. Also saw a guy towing a uhaul trailer with his Miata, and he recently got a Kendon.

Sabre699 and suzuki_steve like this.