1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fresh and lean attack using illegal fuel?

Discussion in 'General' started by grapemustard, Oct 4, 2023.

1. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

That the fuel they made them run the last couple years has sucked. I don't agree with his point but that seems to be what he's said the most.
    All the highest speed tracks the last couple years they have blown up engines and he always blames the fuel, that didn't happen at cota this year.

2. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

He’s at a horsepower disadvantage and he’s been open about that. He has blamed some on power, some on aero of the Ducati and BMW (including the BMW Moto2 style front fender), so he is leaning on them hard to stay with them. That’s a choice.

You can still blow an engine on better fuel. Add more oxygen and knock resistance, and you add more compression and timing to it to take advantage of said fuel. You’re on the same edge, just making more power.

I think MotoAmerica and VP could do better but I also think Richard is playing some of you like a fiddle as well, especially knowing he can portray it as “me vs the man”.

backbone and 03RumbleBee like this.
  3. 27

27 Well-Known Member

All that has to be done is use a different porting for the long straight tracks… they’ll make more top speed that they do now and not detonate and blow up. It’ll lose a little mid range but it’s the best solution.

4. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Honda documented shaving 14hp off peak for more mid range was faster around Monza in their F1 cars, which spend more time at WOT than a motorcycle does at COTA or RAm.

Compression and timing will add power on every point on the power curve.

03RumbleBee and 27 like this.
  5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Knarf Legna likes this.
  6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You have drums of fuel left over from Indy laying around your house? Are freakin’ insane? Your house is an EPA superfund site! Even the unleaded fuel from that era is death in a can.

the Agip fuel was freakin’ awesome.

27 and 5axis like this.
  7. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

@Dave K what was the oxygenated fuel that all the drag racer used back in the 90s?

It smelled like bubble gum to me but you could dump a little in tje tank amd make crazy hp on the dyno. Heard rumor back then of a well known engine builder that would just tune your supposedly freshly built engine with this fuel and show you big numbers on dyno and charge you for a build thay never happened

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Anybody know if Richard ran the same fuel in both races at COTA ? Seems to me that they would have. If so why did MA only dock them for race 2 ? Seems like alot of politics involved to me.

9. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

If they only tested the one race they can only dock him the one race is my guess.

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Would have been much more interesting for us fans, if they tested after the first race, and then see how much the lap times changed when Richard went back to “2023 spec” fuel without MTBE.

11. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Would also be interesting to know whether Attack was indeed using 2024 spec fuel or really a can of 2022 stuff that Richard home brewed with MTBE. It clearly wasn't a "leftover" can of the 22 fuel, if the test report is accurate.

12. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Since the offseason is right around the corner, I dub this "Fuelgate" and we can debate this to death along with speculation on Marc's success, or lack thereof, for months to come. Our new resident chem nerd can lay down the facts and we can spin them every which direction. It's the beeb way.

Rugbydad, MrGooch, stk0308 and 2 others like this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Fucker is gonna get his name changed to Heisenberg.

14. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Hell yeah! I can’t make end tables and trash cans out of the cool cans until I use it all up ;) I forgot any were full for years… had a stack in the corner for gifts to race buddies when the visit… I started making things out of them back in my first pro year when someone left Elf cans at Daytona :D

The Agip six legged creature is one of my favorites. The Elf ones are cool with a bunch of blue prints/tech drawings… Shell sucks just solid yellow/red…

It’s not the toxic good stuff, it’s just clean good stuff… get that superfund funding and I’ll split it with you! ;) we use it in the little dirtbikes and shit…

15. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Nitro Methane is what Top Fuel dragsters run on and back in the day it was cheap power to add it to pump gas and go up two jet sizes… it was cheaper than buying race fuel… I used it in some open rules racing back in the day…

16. Critter

Critter Registered

I have a question for the Beeb.....Stanboli has been around a really long time, has he even been caught cheating before?

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  17. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Ok this is the only way this makes sense to me:

1. Stamboli catches wind that some other team is cheating with their gas
    2. That pisses him off especially with the yamahas being a little down on power compared to the some of the other bikes
    3. He doesnt want to be the snitch protesting others fuel
    4. He comes up with a genius plan when theres nothing left to lose in the season so he tells the other teams to make sure they run the right fuel or he'll protest them.
    5. He sets up HIS OWN team to fail the fuel test
    6. Now MA us forced to regularly test fuel going forward.

Now '24 is on an even playing field.

mpusch, sdg, sill'r B sill'd and 3 others like this.
  18. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I can’t remember any instances…

Hypercycle/head work
    4&6/bodywork turn signal knubs
    Erion/crank
    Yosh/crank
    Honda/ crankcase vacuum pump

that’s all I remember, since I began in the 90s, off the top of my head until this year with the Indian team and this one

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The Agip “unleaded” was pretty foot in tuned Ducati twins back in the day.

I think FBF sold it back in the day? I remember having to drive down to the Philly or Delaware area to get it. Elf was easier but a longer distance. Power mist I could launch a potato from a potato gun and almost hit. :D

27 likes this.
  20. OutOfSpec

OutOfSpec eccentric thousandaire

Ah ha. Did I miss the MTBE thing earlier in the thread, or is this newer information that’s trickled out about why Attack failed the fuel test?

All my high level nerd ramblings kinda go out the window if that’s true: MTBE is not listed as a component of MGP (per the SDS on VP’s website). I don’t see an SDS for MGP-R to see if it’s in there.

there are ways that fuel could go off over time, but MTBE spontaneously forming in that mixture isn’t one of them.

if MTBE is the reason that they failed, it’s wild for Stanboli/Yamaha to be sticking to their guns when it would be VERY easy to show “your fuel has a non-negligible amount of MTBE in it. MGP has no MTBE. So, regardless of intent, the fuel is absolutely not legal.”

Once a Wanker.. and 27 like this.