1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kawasaki ZX4RR Did you or will you buy one?

Discussion in 'General' started by SpeedWerks Racing, May 9, 2023.

Tags:
?

Kawasaki ZX4RR Did you or would you buy one?

1. Hell Yes! It's gotta flippin Auto-Blipper.

2. No way, No interest, 600 money, too heavy, my wife's...

3. I'm looking and getting the next one I can.

4. I'm a "Feeler, Dibs kinda Guy" just show me the results, so I can live vicariously.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Meaning it is still legal for DSS. Correct?

2. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

I thought singles had to follow SB rules for SS?

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If the MODEL isn’t homologated for SS, it isn’t eligible for any SS classes no matter the rules permitting SB mods.

Mongo will correct me if I’m wrong, I’m sure.

4. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Yeah, been a while I've read the rulebook. I thought rules for singles were different.

Ive been married long enough to know I'm probably wrong.

Either way the Kramer wouldn't be legal.

5. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

What I believe Sean was saying is that since the Kramer is not a production based bike then it must follow formula rules for all classes which is displacement and configuration. The Kramer is a 690cc single which is DSS legal.
    If this isn’t correct, someone please explain what I am misunderstanding.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It definitely looks like a fun setup to toss around....and if what Graves said is correct and it's pushing out 80+ hp in that trim, that's getting dangerously close to a clapped out 600's HP levels. Impressive.

7. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

I have and race 690 Kramer. It is D Super legal (complies with Formula rules), but not D Supersport legal because it cannot satisfy Superbike rules; it has never been street legal, which is a superbike requirement. " SUPERBIKE: Machines intended for use on public roads in their origins with more than 1000 units available......"

JBall likes this.
  8. WERA#190

WERA#190 Well-Known Member

9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

10. WERA#190

WERA#190 Well-Known Member

Even faster ! Go buy one unless your getting married or are married and you need permission!!!

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No, the Kramer is NOT legal for DSS. Superbike rules require you to start with a street legal machine, it is not.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

A formula based 690cc single is not legal in DSS.

D SUPERSTOCK EXPERT & NOVICE and D SUPERBIKE EXPERT & NOVICE
    Up to 490cc water-cooled multis
    Up to 700cc 4-stroke water-cooled twins with 3 valves or less per cylinder
    Up to 600cc air-cooled multis & water cooled twins with more than 3 valves
    Up to 883cc 4-stroke air-cooled twins
    Up to 775cc singles based on Formula Rules in DSB, SB rules in DSS
    Up to 450cc 2-stroke water-cooled twins
    Up to 500cc 2-stroke air-cooled twins
    *The TZR250 is allowed in D Superbike only and must conform to Superstock rules with no limits on bodywork. The VF500 is allowed in D Superbike only with stock displacement.
    *There will be no bodywork or tire limitations in D Superstock. D Superstock bikes do not need to have DOT approval. FZR400’s may run 17” wheels.

As you can see the limit for singles is 775cc and they are allowed Formula rules in DSB and limited to Superbike rules - which require the bike to start as a street legal machine - in Superstock. So the Kramer is legal in DSB and not in DSS.

yokohama1 and Michael Hausknecht like this.
  13. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

So BSB and now Italian CIV have announced a Zx4R cup class. Come on Kawasaki USA, make it happen...

Senna, Monsterdood and 03RumbleBee like this.
  14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

A piece of black electrical tape will cure that!

Banditracer and brex like this.
  15. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I said it before, but I think even spec ZX4RRs will be too close to current twins cup in terms of power and lap times. There would be no reason for kids to go from ZX4 Cup to twins. They would go straight to SSNG.

16. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

What would YOU do, if this was going to be your bike??

Due to a variety of health and other issues, I was finally ready to pick up my ZX4RR a couple of weeks ago. Planning to ride my Tracer 9 GT to the shop for a recall service required, and ride the 400 home. My friend and salesman called and told me not to come, as there was an issue with the bike. The stator bolt recall had already been performed when the bike was finally built.

It's a large dealership, with several product lines. The tech who built the bike, (older than me,) rode it to their outside fuel storage tank after assembly, filled the tank, and was riding it back inside of the shop, when the rear wheel locked up. In the middle of the shop, on a painted floor.
    It was torn down to discover that both a bearing retaining clip and shaft-retaining dowel pin were missing, allowing the output transmission shaft (if I remember correctly,) to move and cause gears to lock up.

I paid a deposit in early February when they were first announced. I very much appreciated the dealership holding the bike for me and feel they have done nothing wrong in any of this. This would have been my fourth bike purchased from them in the past 2 1/2 years, and I am discussing the purchase of a different small bike from them.

I've called Kawasaki Customer No-Service this morning. They gave me a spiel about how this bike 'might now be even better than new, after receiving such close attention by a trained technician.' I asked if the dealer had another one on the way anytime soon, and when the answer was she didn't see one ordered, she referred me to a dealership 3 hours away that has one in their inventory.

I really not keen about buying a new bike, freshly rebuilt by the dealer, that has now received a shock-load to the engine and drive-train, despite it occuring at a slow speed. I keep thinking of all of the black engine bolts that now will have socket wear-marks to possibly corrode one day, not to mention all of the other fasteners that on close inspection will no longer have the 'new bike look' to them, especially when paying full-pop retail MSRP, plus full dealer fees and taxes. My only options currently are to pass on this bike, and wait for another to arrive, or drive the 3 hours to pick a different one from another dealership.

What would you do?
    It being nearly November has me thinking of waiting for their next one, whenever that might be. Anyone have any connections to someone at Kawasaki who might be able to offer me an alternate options, perhaps?

17. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

18. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Meh. Stuff happens. I wouldn't overthink it.

418 and cbush like this.
  19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

3 hours isn't too far to go to pick up a new bike. If you needed any factory service, you could take it to your original shop.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.