1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation of Cat 6 Ethernet cable next to BX cable

Discussion in 'General' started by pefrey, Sep 4, 2023.

1. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Does the BX (the metal sheath) provide shielding to protect the unshielded Cat 6 cable from experiencing electrical interference?

I am running Cat 6 in my crawl space and locating the terminal next to the duplex 120V electrical outlet. From the crawl space to the outlet, about 3 or 4 feet max, along which the Cat 6 and BX will run alongside each other.

Understood that it is probably moot due to the distance they will run alongside and voltage / current of the electric involved but can't seem to find a definitive answer unless I read volumes of electric code, which may as well be written in Gaelic.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Metal cladding and conduit, if grounded, will prevent any inductive voltage from bleeding into adjoining cabling.

If not grounded, it will still likely prevent any inductive voltage because 120v doesn’t stray far.

3. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Thanks, that makes sense to me. I had a small concern since I have no means of testing the results of my installation.

4. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Also, Cat 5e and Cat 6 / 6A are designed to reject hum and other common mode interference. It has to be pretty strong to mess with the data unless you are using lengths near the limit of 100 meters.
    If you are seriously concerned, you can use Cat 7 cable which is shielded as well. Make sure one end of the shield is actually grounded (usually at the switch/router end).

BigBird, Steeltoe and G Dawg like this.
  5. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

You will be fine.
    If it was a 480 volt 3 phase VFD cable, not so much.

6. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

LOL that's what most of my searches turned up, stuff like that where it was across huge distances and bundled electrical sources like in a factory or office building. Nothing seemed to address my simple homeowner question. I did not know that Cat 7 was shielded by defualt, good to know.