1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5.0 coyote vs 3.5 eco-boost turbo

Discussion in 'General' started by Rico888, Aug 30, 2023.

1. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

Looking at the 13-16 ford f150 market to replace my 06 that I have owned since new...
    Looking for feedback from anyone that has had any experience with either of the motors listed...
    I know the Coyote has been around for some time, used in both Mustang & F150 vehicles....
    3.5 Eco - Boost sounds good on paper, but there are more moving parts/heat generated that could possibly cost $$$ for repairs
    Any feedback would be appreciated...

Would be used for towing 10' dump trailer on occasion to haul Construction debris

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I had a 2.7 Ecoboost in my '18 and loved it, but I'd go for a 5.0 next time. Just don't want to worry about turbo problems.

3. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

The 3.5 actually has more towing ability than the 5.0 FYI.

The thing to look at is the transmissions....10spd are not great.

Also, on the 3.5, cam phasers can go bad. If engine is cold and you start and hear a slight tick, much like valve ticking, the cam phasers are bad.

Currently driving a 20 King Ranch with the 3.5.

4. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

My Son’s 17 Mustang had the 2.3 Eco twin turbo. I replaced the water pump, EVAP purge valve, and low pressure fuel sensor…all before 60k miles. Been told they are ticking bombs of problems just waiting to happen. Buy the big motor. That fuel sensor was caught early…possible engine boom with that one.

cav115 likes this.
  5. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

Been very happy with my 3.5 so far. I would take it for towing any day over my old v8 Tundra

6. 418

418 Expert #59

Google 5.0 timing chain issues. Ford is 20 years deep into not being able to design cam timing assembly that doesn't turn into a complete shit show.

3.5 is gonna destroy the 5.0 as far as towing because boost is life.

If you got to go with a V8 I would lean towards GM.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  7. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

ALL turbos will go bad if ran long enough.

My wifes egoboost hasn't given us any issues but also only 40k on it
    Transmission acts weird on wet days for some reason, no codes

Sidenote: never let your wife go car shopping on her own

StaccatoFan and rd400racer like this.
  8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

had a 2012 F150 platinum 3.5L turbo that i bought at 42,000 miles. Sold with 140,000 miles. ONLY problem i had, was one of the turbos was going out literally 50 miles before warranty was to expire (100,000 miles extended war). got it fixed, had no trouble. towed a 7,000 lb toyhauler in FL on occasion, just locked out 6th gear (was still six spd) so wouldn't even try to go into overdrive. loved the truck.

Was always concerned that these direct injection engines would have intake valves gunked up (no fuel sprays on top to clean them off) but never saw a decrease in MPG while i owned it. A friend on FB that does some offroad enduro racing has same truck and periodically posts about his, he's over 300,000 miles with no troubles (he says).

418 likes this.
  9. 418

418 Expert #59

I think towing (high engine load) helps with the gunk build up.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  10. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

I'm 40,000 miles into a 2022 with 5.0

No problems, 17.5 mpg and tows 13,000#

11. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Yep. Except the GM has the valve pause system that is a shit as well. Really a shame, as the LS is a great motor besides that.

Most trouble free is a Cummins, and then Asian trucks.

The 3.5 has multiple issues as well....

12. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

2012 3.5 here with 172,000 miles, I change the oil every 3500 miles with full synthetic. Only time the truck has let me down was not engine related but with the trans cooler line breaking at the fitting due to dissimilar metals. It sprayed the road down pretty good and I shut the engine off before doing any damage to the trans.
    I rented a 2021 5.0 for a work trip and was pretty impressed with it
    Edit: I did add a catch can to my truck

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Powerstroke. :D

14. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

If anything, the opposite would be the case. The 'gunk' build up comes from positive crankcase ventilation that deposits back into the intake (so oily fumes don't go into the air). When a turbo engine is towing or under heavy load, it's almost certainly creating boost and therefore additional crankcase pressure. Unfortunately a purely direct injection engine has no way of keeping intake valves clean unless you were to remove crankcase ventilation return to the intake and remove exhaust gas recirculation circuit from the intake.

15. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I had a '17 F150 with the 5.0. Great engine, but the RPM's have to come up more than you would think for a V8. I wouldn't call it "high strung" , just didn't have the low end torque I was expecting.

418 likes this.
  16. aardvark9

aardvark9 Member

Driving my 2nd 3.5l EcoBoost, previously had the 5.4l with the 4 speed transmission. The EcoBoost pulls my 6k lb trailer with one or two motorcycles in the bed very nicely, even over the mountains. I had originally hoped for better fuel mileage but it's marginally better than the 5.4. No engine problems on the 3.5l engines, did have a broken exhaust manifold on the 5.4. I've been the original owner and did the maintenance by the book. My favorite so far is the current one--2019 with the 10 speed transmission. No problems and it's always in the right gear.

17. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Lot's of info out on the Ecoboost. Change oil every 3000 or they will oil starve the turbos and self destruct

18. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Why is this even a question. 5.0 all day every day. No replacement for displacement and normal aspiration.

Ecocrap will blow the turbo eventually.

TurboBlew likes this.
  19. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I have a '17 F150 5.0 w/6 speed auto. 62,000, no issues.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  20. Phl218

Phl218 .

:whoosh: