1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pitt Race endurance round 2023

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by 50Joe, Jul 27, 2023.

1. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

Were the official ULW results different than what is on race monitor? It is according to the N2 press release.

2. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

Most fun I’ve ever had on a bike. Dropped like 5 seconds off my lap if the new chicane is about 5 seconds. Fingers still sore from ripping all those tiny pieces of duct tape for numbers.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No idea, Race Monitor is a nice thing for live timing but it is NOT remotely official or always accurate since it's merely a feed from the timing program while the race is running. Mylaps has our upload and is accurate. Our website once we have the results in is official and accurate. The ones printed and posted at the track are official and accurate.

Of course accurate is relative barring any issues. But the point is still race-monitor is not the final say on anything ever.

4. voss555

Yup understood, usually they match race monitor but not always.

5. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

@Mongo so how exactly does this "Timed Practice Day" aka Fridays work? At the Pitt round, it seemed as though it was only gridded by the Saturday practice times only

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  6. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

That's exactly how it worked for us...lol. Luckily still got on the 1st wave, but kinda shitty having to start in..whatever position it was, where the time from Friday would have had me on Row 3.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

One of the issues at Pitt was people not running the right transponder on Friday - not saying that is what happened to you but it did happen. Others were on our end getting the multiple runs merged properly since the program did it on bike numbers not TX numbers or ID numbers - didn't realize that until it was too late to fix things. Pure mistake on our end. Then there was the normal unrelated transponders and removing sprint riders and other busy work pain in the ass stuff that led to things not being correct (one of the reason I personally don't like the mixed sessions for qualifying).

For those who didn't get affected by those issues- with the groups being all screwed up time wise on Friday we did try go with the best time we could across all the runs you did so it wasn't just the marked q sessions and Saturday. We'll have our end of it better at Summit but the reality is while this is fun and all having "qualifying" what we really want is the grid in a generally safe order for the first lap or so, after that you all have a looooonnnggggg time to sort out your positions for the final result.

8. Wheel Bearing

I think the fail safe solution (though I am definitely NOT advocating for it for obvious cost reasons) is the endurance teams have their own specific endurance team transponder...and that would eliminate any 'cross contamination' so to speak. It was frustrating as a customer when I know Thomas has had the same transponder for years. So yes, most of us use our personal transponder for endurance weekends. But to me it seems if I'm looking at timing and scoring, and see a transponder that's not tied to a specific team during Friday qualifying, I'd look at whose name is tied to that transponder. And from there, see which endurance team they're registered under...and that's that.

9. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

In the past, that's how I ran the team. We only ever used one transponder that was tied to our results vs using other personal members from their sprint bikes.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We do try to get the teams to pick a transponder and stick with using the one but then every single weekend you have the left it at home, it isn't charged, that rider isn't here, and so on issues.

We're not going to go through and sort out times for every rider on their own bikes on a Friday and then assign the fastest one to their team - but as I said that is why I also am not a fan of mixed qualifying, it just confuses everyone - we just need the teams to pay attention and get the right transponder on their paperwork. Granted I know it'll never happen but it's a fun dream for now :D

11. Wheel Bearing

Not tracking on the last part. Qualifying on Friday was for endurances only. So anytime you see TX #123ABC pop up, that lap time goes towards the team it's registered for. There shouldn't be a TX on a bike on practice day that isn't already tied to an endurance entry?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The practice day - including the Q sessions since they were a practice group - was open to endurance and sprint racers. Not to mention the entire relay thing where they all have their own transponders on their bikes for practice. I don't have the option in any of our systems to tie 4 or 5 transponders to a single team.

So when we do the merge to get the grid we have to manually delete anyone that isn't an endurance team. If the wrong TX is tied to the team then the wrong laptimes wind up getting used for the team time. It's doable but it really is a pain in the ass and leaves us open to making mistakes.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh yeah, then for historical and uploading to mylaps purposes we have to manually put back in everyone we deleted.

14. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

yuck. That sounds like a PIA.

15. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

Would it be better to have "only the endurance teams" run a transponder in Friday Q. The sprint guys could leave them off for that session ?

16. Wheel Bearing

That's what I was eluding to, I'm not sure why sprint racers would have their transponders on period...

17. voss555

They don't have a lap timer would likely be the reason.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Then we have to stop everyone and police it - not to mention the whole promoting the day as being timed.

Basically it is a paint in the ass. However it's part of the job and we have worked out some ways to cut down on the mistakes on our end so I expect that it won't be noticeable on your end at Summit. On that note it's really kind of funny the stuff that you guys never see or know happens :D

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Eh, they pay their money they want their laptimes.