1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolly vs Paddock Stand for garage cleanup

Discussion in 'General' started by nlzmo400r, Jul 24, 2023.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I've got 3 bikes in a 2 car garage + all my kids' and wife's crap. I'm always having to move at least one bike around to gain access to things near the walls. Having the bike on casters of some kind would be hugely helpful. Currently the bikes are on pitbull stands, or wheel chocks or on my lift. So in order to create some mobility and make the space easier to use, I'd like to make at least one of the bikes easy to move around. Anyone have experience with these items in practical use?

Options 1: Harbor freight style dolly + bolt a $50 wheel chock to it and basically have an easy solution, but doesn't really allow for any servicing (removing of wheels etc) while it's on the dolly. [​IMG]

Option 2: A paddock/bursig type stand. It seems theres been lots of copies over the years, but the only ones actually available right now are out of the UK, and they're about $300 plus $75 shipping and obviously bike specific. So if I wanted it to work on different bikes, it's either pay $100 for another 'adapter plate' or get creative and make my own.
    [​IMG]
    Option 3: Put Rotacaster omni wheels on my existing pitbull stands for $65/wheel. I'm not sure how well this would work on a fork front stand regarding tipping and such. I see dynamoto uses a very low style front stand that just holds the tire off the pavement.
    [​IMG]

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

The obvious answer is you need a new house with more garage space. :D

rd400racer, evakat, MachineR1 and 4 others like this.
  3. nlzmo400r

That's about as likely as having fewer kids

4. adio1dog

adio1dog Well-Known Member

My neighbor has the last option, the “roto stands.”
    I believe he ordered them from Australia, not an add on to pit bull products. If pit bull makes them I’m sure they are great. My neighbor loves his roll stands and they are really handy and easy for one person to move the bike around tight spaces. Hope that helps.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That would be the Broome solution.

6. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Dolly for garage cleanup fd12c563ba3f4ea25b17d0f74fbe26e7.jpg

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the bursig type is very handy for suspension work & portability. Yah the need for specific plates/pins sucks & if the floor surface isnt smooth... it can be a pain.

The floor dolly seems to be very large... not sure on the caster quality.

8. aardvark9

aardvark9 Member

+1 on the Bursig style (I haven't tried the ABBA lift). They're expensive but make it so easy to move the bike around. I use them at the track now too assuming I've got a fairly smooth pit area. Also great for suspension work.

9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I love my Bursig stand.

10. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

None of these "solutions" will stop the wife and kids from stuffing more crap in there. Is there not 100 sf of yard that you could put a she-shed on?

tony 340 and lopitt85 like this.
  11. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Yep, even something small like this will work to get all the bikes, toys, coolers, etc out of the garage.

I used one to clear out the wife/kids stuff from my garage when I was in Texas. I put 3 layer shelving around 3 sides and built a floor from plywood covered pallets.

Attached Files:

lrrs195 likes this.
  12. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I don’t know the stands but if their marketing people haven’t leveraged “dancing queen” to at least their middle aged track day guys they’re really missing out… put s skirt and Tierra on the bike and dance it around the garage with ease… “The Dancing Queen stand from Abba” it’s Gold Jerry Gold… :D

13. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

My Bursig stand is awesome. Love it for moving the bike around in the garage. I thought it would be a pain in the ass to work on the left side of the bike, but surprisingly, for most projects, it's not an issue at all. I view it as having a tool in the garage - it serves a very useful purpose, but it has it's job, and it's not a replacement for another tool (standard rear stand). Different needs require different tools.

14. nlzmo400r

I'm going to build a little lean-to in the small space I have behind the garage, but it's gonna be tiny and pivoting bikes around to get them on the lift and all that would be so much easier with a dolly anyway. Or obviously if I had bursig style stands, I wouldn't have to always move the bike I'm working on to the lift in most cases.

15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Of the listed options the Bursig looks the best, but really any of them seem to add more stuff to an already stuffed space...if it's that tight I can't imagine having room to put bikes on and off these contraptions and store them when not in use. What kind of bikes are we talking about? If Japanese you shouldn't have to do much work on them...

16. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

The Bursig looks like it takes up a lot of floor space. I have 4 bikes and 4 cars in a 20' wide x 26' deep garage during the season (two small cars and a 4 post lift). Happy with the HF dolly to easily get one close to a wall next to one of the cars w/o endless back-n-forth. I considered adding a wheel chock but leaning the bike over allows me to get closer to the wall vs. standing it up and moves bars a little out of the way. My only complaint is that the sidestand plate is 6" longer than it needs to be for my bikes. It's also useless for maintenance as noted.

The only things in the garage that are my wife's are her cars. 14yo daughter who is not interested in bikes (pedal or motor) has zero things.

17. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

If you're tripping over and bumping into 3 bikes in your garage, I'm not sure why cost is even in your brain.

Stay focused

18. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Out of curiosity, what would your budget be for something that combined option 1 with option 3. Essentially, a 1 piece dolly on casters that had a front and rear stand, instead of how the HF makes you roll the bike up on it and keep it on the kickstand.

19. nlzmo400r

lol, two old ducatis and a triumph. And yes one benefit of the dolly is it takes up no space the bike doesn't already take up.

Being cheap has allowed me to have 3 bikes. But yes, I see your point.
    You know, that's interesting. I dont know that I've ever seen something like that. It really wouldn't be the end of the world to move a bike off of a dolly to say, mount new tires before a race weekend. But if I'm doing a couple of bikes at a time, it'd be nice to have the option of them being mobile while still being worked on.

20. nlzmo400r

upload_2023-7-25_19-29-2.jpeg

upload_2023-7-25_19-29-17.jpeg

These were taken with a fisheye phone lens, so it makes the space look bigger than it actually is. My real problem is the bike parked in spot 2 (the one that's covered in the pic) is almost impossible to gain real access to without moving a million things. The bike parked in spot 3 (the red one) also has to move back and forth a bunch to get bicycles, scooters, strollers etc out from the back.

It'd be nice to have at least that one on a dolly so I can park it parallel to the lift (spot 1) and just roll it out of the way when I need to work on sometihng on the lift.