1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harbor Freight drops a new genny

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Jul 19, 2023.

1. jasonhise

jasonhise Well-Known Member

Been looking for a larger one and just pulled the trigger on the @Hyperdyne posted link... $22 additional to ship to my house.

Hyperdyne likes this.
  2. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I want the 9500 for a house genny. My heat is gas so that should be more than plenty

3. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Can someone school me on deer camp setup

We have the large propane tanks there for heat, the ones that are the size of a shop Acetylene bottle.

Currently run an old school predator generator that I think is coming up on 4500hrs, but it wont run the AC in the summer

Would I just run a Y fitting to the generator and a shutoff valve ? We get propane cheap up there and not worrying about running outta gas would be nice

This is a 90s camper, not a house

4. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Kinda crazy how the new HF 5000 is only $100 more than their 3500 gennie.

$899 for the 3500 predator is dumb. Much bigger/better inverter generators out there for much less.

I've been using WEN's for about 8 yrs....2000, 3500 and about to get the new 4800 for $760.

5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

And propane doesn't go bad like gas will

6. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

IMG_1991.jpeg

Sabre699 likes this.
  7. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

8. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

t11ravis likes this.
  9. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Agreed, it's a monster. Fortunately we also use ours for the house during hurricane season and it has been a lifesaver in that regard.

R/T Performance and DucatiBomber like this.
  10. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I have an old diesel generator that looks just like that. It has a compression release, and a slow trip breaker. It was loud as hell, but made all the power you ever needed. We used it to run the house during a storm once. I haven't messed with it in years. I would let you have it cheap, but I'm not travelling to your side of the country this season. I also have a Yamaha 6300 I need to sell

11. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

We don't have storms and electric outage that much around here. Usually it is hour or two. Last winter we had one that lasted 2 days I had to borrow generator, nobody had one in stock. Reason I bought this one month later. Diesel would be preferred for me because house heater is diesel and I always have diesel in house. Looked at some but they were to expensive.

stickboy274 likes this.
  12. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

My house here in Florida is also gas: heat, stove, dryer
    but natural gas not propane.
    I know with grills you need conversion Kits from one to the other … does this apply to generators also?
    I know nothing about this so assume I know nothing lol .

13. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Yes.

The manufacturer should have a kit to “rejet” for CNG if you buy a unit config’d for propane.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Guy that pitted next to us this weekend had a WEN. I'd never heard of them but it seemed like a nice genny for the money.

gapman789 likes this.
  15. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I research the hell out of everything before I buy, and i couldn't find anything negative about the WEN generators when I first started buying them...WEN has been been around for over 70 yrs....Their stuff is made all over the world...Germany, Italy, Taiwan, and of course China.

My 3500 powers the RV A/C, fridge, water pump...but if i use the convection oven, coffee pot, or microwave, i do turn the A/C off for a minute just to be on the safe side.

I have an onboard onan 4000 in the RV but it's so damn loud i never use it. I put the WEN in front of the front bumper, and can't hear it.

rd400racer likes this.
  16. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Just so y'all know, one of the very MOST IMPORTANT bits of info when searching for a generator, is the amount of THD that it produces. In short, THD stands for Total Harmonic Distortion, and the lower the number, the better. Harmonic distortion is what is produced when the generator AC sine wave is distorted and is not a perfect sine wave. Anything that is <5 THD will be fine to use for home or RV, as it pertains to the effect it has on electronics that might be a part of your appliances, computers, control boards in a fridge, etc.

An inverter type generator produces very, very low amounts of THD, but a traditional generator can be in the teens, even low to mid 20s. That amount of THD will eventually destroy the electronics in everything that is powered by it. As an example, your local power companies will almost always provide you power that is under the amount of 5 THD. Some of the traditional generators out there (not the inverter type) will be WAY high on the THD, some better, and few, like the one I bought is at the <5 range. It all has to do with how they are manufactured and what circuitry they use to regulate the voltage output, whether or not they will or will not be low THD. The 12,000 Watt running/15,000 W Peak Westinghouse pictured above, that I just recently bought is rated to be <5 THD and that was the deciding factor for me, vs. the Generac of similar size but a much higher THD

And in my case, our house is pretty much all Electric, with the exception of a propane gas fireplace with a small blower motor on it to distribute the heat into the room. So for me, I needed something that would has enough "Ass" to start and run my 2 1/2T heat pump, AND to be able to supply enough power to it to be able to use the Emergency heat if it was cold enough that the heat pump could not keep up with the thermostat. That electric heating element is 10Kw by itself, so if that scenario happens, I would obviously have to shut down some of the lesser needed/wanted electrical devices in order to stay within capacity rating of the genny.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
    Boman Forklift and nlzmo400r like this.
  17. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Agreed, I spent almost $50 just putting decent wheels on my 3500. If you pay retail for one, you're much better off getting a 5000 predator.

18. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

If you pay list price for anything at HF you are one impatient SOB

Boman Forklift likes this.
  19. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Be aware, not all inverters are made the same, some put out a stepped square wave, not a sine wave. You thought THD could be bad with an out of tune traditional generator...

20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

aka "modified sine wave"