1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey DaveK the 90s called and want to hang

Discussion in 'General' started by 27, Jul 20, 2023.

1. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Hey @Dave K, in DC tomorrow, I may try to catch this when they’re out west a ways. I’ve never seen Dino Jr, but dozens of Clutch shows. IMG_2184.jpeg

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dinosaur is LOUD.

3. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Theyre coming to visit me!

4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Redfang is pretty damn good. I'd love to see them live !

MachineR1 likes this.
  5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Tickets for DC are not that crazy expensive. General admission is like $45 and “front row” seats are $75.

Haven’t been to the Anthem and from I’ve been told, it’s pretty kick ass.

6. repoe3

repoe3 Member

Saw The War on Drugs at the Anthem last year and was a bit disappointed in the acoustics, might have been the sound engineering. Saw TWOD again at Ting Pavilion in Charlottesville later that year and the sound was incredible. Size-wise the Anthem is pretty good for a crowd. The DC music venues get some decent acts, many of which bypass DC altogether, and routinely in the middle of the week, which blow for a middle-aged rat race contestant.

Remember shows at the original 9:30 Club from way back. That was more the environment that anything.

7. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Clutch surprisingly came here a year or two ago but I was out of town. Still regret it.

8. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Iggy Pop may have been the only show I’ve ever seen that pushed more volume than Dinosaur.

9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Looks like a good concert to skip...in favor of a Yoko Ono concert.

10. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I remembered you have a Jay Mascus thing… Clutch used to play this dive bar in Grand Rapids often on Grattan weekends. They’ve been doing 300 shows a year for 30 years it seems. Those arenas are way bigger than their usual solo shows. They’re always kick ass live and big energy, I’ve yet to be unimpressed.

Last show was outside in Chicago during the day. It’s like they decided to stop for lunch and decided to do a gig. It was open to the street so no way 1% of the people there bought tickets, you couldn’t have if you tried at that point. Another great show.

cpettit likes this.
  11. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I've seen Clutch so many times since their first album came out its not even funny. Always a good show though. Saw them open for Megadeth at riverbend in Cincy around 2000 or so. That was quite the crowd!

@Dave K k is right Dinosaur JR is loud as f@ck, but a great show nonetheless.

27 likes this.
  12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Saw Dino Jr at Lollapalloza back in '93 I think. They sucked. came out. Looked like they were high on heroin. Played a few songs badly. Guitar player kept breaking strings.

This was the lineup...
    Compared ot those guys Dino Jr shouldnt even be in the same state, much less the same stage. Id rather sit thru a Zamfir, Yanni, Chuck Mangioni music festival than any of those clowns again.

27 and cha0s#242 like this.
  13. MachineR1

MachineR1 Well-Known Member

and they have the best music videos ever.

exracer941 and cha0s#242 like this.
  14. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Dinosaur still rips.

I’d go to see them and skip Clutch.

Last year when they played in Detroit, Negative Approach came out and for the encore they played all N/A shit together.

Lou went behind the bass cab and put shoes on as N/A came out…lol. Smart move, you don’t want to be caught playing barefoot on John Brannon’s stage.

15. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

That was one of the best lineups ever !

27 likes this.
  16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hate to admit it but I’m not up on Clutch. :oops:

17. 27

27 Well-Known Member

check out Pure Rock Fury for a good sample, they’re 4 high school buddies from Germantown MD that have kept it together and grown exponentially musically.

I don’t like the earliest stuff(you probably will as it’s more punkish) and saw them open for Marylyn Manson at the Metro in Chicago and they both sucked… then the dive bar shows and they grew on me. I pulled out some Dino discs and although I liked it decades ago it didn’t hold up for me at a similar level.

Clutch keeps on keeping on and really rocks. One of my favorite bands that are still playing for sure.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I’ll give them a listen later today.

J Mascis or Barlow on heroin? J has one speed in interviews, slooooowwww. Him on heroin would make time go backwards. :D
    He’s also straight edge as f.

27 likes this.
  19. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Clutch even played a small gig in DC last night too… I’m envious of anyone who can do anything nearly every damn day and still love it especially for 40 years!

20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Bass player looked out of it. Not sure if it was Barlow or if we on outs that tour.

All in all it was the worst show on the main stage the day I was there. Also their stuff never really clicked for me.