1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jesse Janish Go Fund Me

Discussion in 'General' started by G Dawg, Jul 18, 2023.

1. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I’m curious does the rest of the country have Cobra or is that a California only thing? It lets you keep paying for your previous employer’s insurance, while waiting until you become eligible for the insurance at your new job.

I can’t imagine going to the track without insurance

G Dawg likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cobra is everywhere - but you still have to pay for it - your portion you paid prior as well as the employers portion. Some people make a really bad choice in not taking it.

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I think you'd be shocked by the amount of people that are at the track without insurance.

969, tony 340 and MELK-MAN like this.
  5. The Beer Hunter

The Beer Hunter Well-Known Member

+1000

6. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

No kidding. I stopped racing when I didnt have any. No way in hell I'm getting on a track without it.

Seiko, Boman Forklift and HPPT like this.
  7. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Mine payed out a lot!
    Im more curious how the foreign nationals handle it when coming here for a race or two.

8. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

People are often not aware of how much their employer is paying for health insurance. When they see a bill for the full boat, they decide against COBRA.

418, tony 340, stk0308 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They can buy it. Sometimes through the FIM or AMA if they have the right licensing I believe.

10. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I only have VA coverage, no health insurance.

Circacee likes this.
  11. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Quite a few health insurance plans will not cover risky activities. Pretty sure racing falls in that category.

12. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I've been injured a few times racing . Always said it was a "motorcycle accident" .

13. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I left BellSouth/Alltel and moved to Bell Atlantic/VZW. There was a few months between the jobs and coverage. I had to stop racing. I did keep doing crash truck and Lori kept doing registration/scoring. As soon as coverage kicked back in, I was back out there.

14. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

When I started racing having coverage was not that important. I could afford to pay doctor

15. Sudowoodo

Sudowoodo Error 404: Skill not found

Same. VA still covers ER visits, but I haven't gone through that process yet. I can only imagine it's a huge PITA like everything else, but it's still coverage.

16. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

As far as I know and what a couple friends went through if you are racing and you wad up your bike or you get injured you are pretty much f***** they will not cover you.....
    I had a friend that had to eat I think $20,000 for his fractured leg and ankle....

17. 27

27 Well-Known Member

which is complete bullshit!

so after I paid of over $40k from a shattered leg and surgeries, I had an agent quoting my business insurances. He asked if I wanted health and work comp, to which I laughed and said sure… he was an old dude who knew his shit… if an insurance company sells work comp in a state they are put in a pool for the uninsurables and are assigned at random the jobs that nobody will insure. Every state is similar but differentt. It’s usually about 10% of the salary but all medical is covered.

I know this because all of my surgeries, after that for 20 years, and over 100 different fractures were paid for by the insurance with no issues along with my time off from racing. My income was covered at 66.66% and non taxable. If anyone wants to know how that works feel free to PM me.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
  18. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

That is one of the things that varies from company to company. I had to look really deep to find whether I was covered or not. All of my insurers clarified that non-covered racing was professional, as defined by potential monetary gain by performance on the track. Therefore, I was covered. That doesn't mean they would have willingly paid, but I was willing to fight them on that.
    Bottom line, read your policy and get clarification on coverage before you go racing.
    I wonder if medicare covers racing?

27 likes this.
  19. 27

27 Well-Known Member

yeah in Croatia what’s it cost for surgery a goat?! :D

try to answer that without getting political :Poke:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
  20. MattTries

MattTries Member

Damn. I watched that one from up top of the viewing tower on Saturday. It looked like the front tucked in turn 5 (before the bump), and he slid out of my view as the tree line got in the way. Big machine to watch sliding at that speed. They sent two ambulances out, but I was hoping it was nothing too serious as it didn't look like either ambulance left the track immediately.