1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going Motorcycle Drag Racing July 21-23 Cordova IL

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Jul 15, 2023.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yesterday I decided I need to get out and race again. Fortunately I have some old miles, so last minute tickets aren’t ridiculous. The race is July 21-23rd at Cordova, Il which is by the quad cities. https://cordovadragwaypark.com/cordova-media-viewer/#777-23

Unfortunately I’ve only raced about 4-5 times over the last 25 years, so this will most likely be a big money donation on my part. This is a big race where I will be racing against dragsters and door slammers. Generally they are much better than bike racers, because they have 2 tires for traction and automatic transmissions.

I’m excited to go do it again and this morning when I booked the tickets, I asked dad and he was excited and said he would go help me. Mom called me back a little later and said even though he wants to go that many days in the heat will be to hard on him, he’s 79, and the injuries he got the past few years of racing are really taking a toll on him.

If any of you want to come hang out at the drag strip, I could use some help starting the bike in the water box and getting pulled/pushed down the return road after a pass.
    @beac83 @ChemGuy @TurboBlew
    @Scott S. @RRP @Dave Wolfe you can come make fun of me for liking Stoner and Marquez
    @Pneumatico Delle Vittorie if you bring me a new car tire slick. I will pay you for it and run Pirelli stickers. Lolol
    @motion you probably already rented out your inventory so come in over.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2023
    beac83, BigBird, 27 and 2 others like this.
  2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Wish I could make it to help! Gotta be here to pull big $$$ for the ex :)

Good luck!

Boman Forklift likes this.
  3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Good luck!

And if you die can I buy that kx65 back?

4. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

If it were this weekend Id have been all over it. Good luck & have fun!

5. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I believe I'm missing some information, to understand what your motivation for this endeavor. I grew up in the next town upstream and across the river, and can hear the races clearly every time they run there, when I'm in town. The 3M plant next to the track has polluted my home's well, as well as the town's city water. They have a huge haunted woods attraction on the track's property each October. Many of my friends race there regularly.

What leads you to want to drive about 1,850 miles to run at a hole in the wall dragstrip like Cordova? I did re-read and see that your folks live nearby. Where do they live? This still seems a bit odd, and out of the blue, to me.

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Chatgpt?

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I would love to show but I will be in middle GA next weekend :(

8. Boman Forklift

I bought a dragbike around 5-6 years ago and left it at my parents in Illinois. My dad has two dragbike’s, but last time or two I used his something broke. I’m not flying and driving all that way to race, and have a bike I can’t compete with. Last time it happened, I borrowed a bike and won first place. So I gave the owner 1/2 the winnings and considered buying that bike. I only didn't because it had a lot of blow bye and you had to pour the oil out of the overflow back into the crankcase every few passes.

I just bought one and left it there.

My motivation is my dad lives for drag racing and has raced most weekends all summer long since he started when I was a kid in 1976. Every other time I’ve come we spend the weekend together at the track.

9. Boman Forklift

Plus I love to compete!!!!!

beac83 likes this.
  10. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

What kinda bike, what's the Dial in.

11. Boman Forklift

It’s an old school GS1100 with an aftermarket chassis, backbone tank, with a car tire slick, delay box, slider clutch, air shifter, electronics to control your revs at launch which is called a stutter box, and auto shifter. Also has controller to turn nitrous on and off in different gears and for different amounts of time, but I don’t run nitrous.

Last time I rode it, it ran 8.95 to 8.98 in Norwalk Ohio. Not sure what it will run this time, but should do similar or a little slower, as I think I’ve gained 5-10 lbs, and it will be hot this coming weekend.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2023
    gixxerboy55 likes this.
  12. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Upside is you will probably lose that 5-10 lbs.

13. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

I always have fun when I go to the dragstrip.

14. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I've been itching to get a drag bike so bad

Good luck

15. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Sounds like alot of fun.

Now the commercial. Please road race again. Vintage is a great place for older racers. How about a V5 bike? That's a similar era to your GS1100.

16. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

That sounds like a blast and a great time hanging with dad. Good luck to you and more so, good luck to your mom trying to keep dad at home :crackup:

17. Boman Forklift

Well depending on what you want, my dad can’t race anymore and he has two of them set up with good stuff. They need cleaned up, been sitting for about 2 years, but if you have any interest, we should talk.

18. Boman Forklift

I’ve thought about trying it again. My problem is I still think I’m 20 and can’t keep from pushing. I tend to crash “because my ambition outweighs my skills” just like Rossi, if you ask Stoner. Lololol

Actually I bought a KX65 mini from @SuddenBraking and plan to take that out later this year, once things slow down a bit at work and personally.

I have 2 more weddings and a trip driving from Charlotte to Charleston to Boca Raton to Ft Meyers and stops between. Looking for a possible retirement house and visiting my SIL in Boca.

dave3593 and SuddenBraking like this.
  19. Boman Forklift

Actually mine maybe for sale after this event too. I would have bought my dads car tire dragbike years ago, but he wanted both a slow and fast bike, so he always had a backup.

His has a top of the line Deadenbear crossover delay box, which I like better than the new style like I have. He has one of these good ones on each bike and I think they were $700-1000 boxes.
    Much easier to use, but possibly not as cool looking. Anyway if you are interested, come on down to my parents house next Wednesday/Thursday or out to the track that weekend. I see you are somewhere in Michigan. So that’s probably 6-10 hours away.

I could probably find some pics too, because if you want the new style no wheelie bar bikes, that isn’t what we have.

20. Boman Forklift

Actually I just learned he may not come now. Mom said the heat is hard on him now, and he sent me a text in the middle of the night that it is too hard for him to be at the track and not race. He doesn’t enjoy just watching if he can’t complete. Racers - race!!!

So even though we have been talking about it multiple times and then quickly planned this. he may stay home.

Mom said don’t worry, she will go with me and we will have fun together!!!!

969 and Once a Wanker.. like this.