1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uh…that’s a hard no from me dawg

Discussion in 'General' started by ChemGuy, Jun 19, 2023.

1. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Flex seal and a screen door?

sharkattack likes this.
  2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

You want these guys rescued, tell @Gorilla George that there is a puppy aboard.

Robin172 and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

4. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Add this to the list of one more reason I hate carbon fiber

backbone likes this.
  5. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

They lost contact with the toy 1hr and 45 min after it submerged. Takes 2.5 hrs to get to the Titanic. one of 3 scenarios.

1. lost power, got gaught in gulf stream and surfaced 100 milesout of the area and they dont have comms to call (bestscenario)

2. imploded at 10k feet (worst scenario)

3. There actually IS a megladon and thought the toy was a Tic Tac and now has minty breath (nightmare scenario)

6. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

gradual de-lam and you can't climb fast enough to outrun water....

7. diggy

diggy Well-Known Member

A long time ago, I worked on a Oil & Gas project that utilized composite Coiled Tubing (imagine continuous drill pipe w/o connections, like a 3.5" diameter garden hose). Anyway, long story short is the pressure integrity of composites are a bitch to figure out, especially with age and use. Composite is porous and in the case of this project, it was cancelled due to not being able to indefinitely keep downhole pressures out...

8. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

That's exactly what happened....I'd bet my house on it.

9. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

They did say it was titanium and CF.

But it also looks like even if it were at the surface they are still stuck in there without fresh air until someone comes and unbolts the nose and lets em out.

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Broome doesn't need help typing his posts...

Steeltoe likes this.
  11. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Did you watch the video of that thing? Saying titanium and carbon fiber portrays a vehicle that the video does not portray.

12. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

13. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

I'll take that bet. I'm going with Kraken got it.

ClemsonsR6 likes this.
  14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'd like to see y'all try to put me inside anything and BOLT it shut. No fkn way.

15. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Yep…somebody is dying. There is a good chance it’s me but damnit…SOMEBODY is dying.

Steeltoe likes this.
  16. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

They lost contact at an hour and 45 minutes, the dive was planned for 8 hours. I would hope before they subject it to eleventy billion pounds of pressure it went through a thorough inspection and didn’t fail at ~25% of the plan. I’m thinking the the PlayStation remote had drift…my son-l replaces his like every 2 months :Poke:

17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

They said in the video Steve posted that they dove to the Titanic 8 times last year so it's not like this was a trial run.

18. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Considering the novelty materials and construction and the environment they are being used in, what do you think the chances are there wasn't enough testing or rigorous enough testing?

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

20. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

They worked with university of Washington for a previous model.

this dude who designed a ton of crewed subs did the design for it.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Hawkes

It was made out of carbon fiber and titanium for weight reasons so it could be launched and retrieved without a huge boat with a crane because it lighter.

I still wouldn’t get in that fucker.