1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

500cc, two stroke single test/build.

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by dave3593, Aug 8, 2022.

1. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Of course I'll have another bike with me if I take it out at practice and it's not working.

2. dave3593

I'm still making progress. The front end is mostly done including a steering damper. If I have time I'll get a better fender on it.

It now has tires, thanks coupe.

The engine has spark in its present home. Hopefully it will run it soon.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2023
    90kacoupe likes this.
  3. dave3593

I may not get this ready to run in just two weekends for Cycle Jam. If not then Nelson Ledges in a couple more weeks. Hey coupe, will you be at either? Any body elce planning on V6LW?

Last edited: May 10, 2023
  4. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

It's not looking like I will make cycle jam. Couldn't get the Endurance team together in time. I will be at CMP June 10th with my RZ and SV.

5. dave3593

I went to Cycle Jam. The weather was perfect. Big turn out for modern classes. Some vintage bikes. Lots of nice folkes helping the old guy load/unload and offering me food.

I got the Husqvarna ready and took it along with my fzr600. The 1986 Husky dirt bike with the sv650 front end and lowered rear handed well. I had put the tallest sprockets on it I had but is was still way to low. I was carefull to hold smooth lines so folks could pass especially on the straights. I'm guessing it was only hitting maybe 90. Gearing will fix that.

The first practice out I got it hot so the only other time I took it out was for V6LW on Saturday but nothing Sunday.

I'm glad I chose to use my 430 motor instead of the 500 motor. The 430 vibrates but is tolerable. The longer stroke 500 I'm not sure. Something weird I learned. When I road it on my long driveway at home the foot pegs did not vibrate but the SV650 aluminum handlebars that are mounted to the fork tubes vibrated badly. I put the top mounted stock steel handlebars back on it and the vibration dropped dramatically.

I'll gear it up, improve some other things and take it to Mid-Ohio vintage days. I'm having a ball playing with this old 2 stroke.

Phl218, CBRRRRR999 and motion like this.
  6. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

Maybe I'll see about slapping mine together for Mid-Ohio. The big thing I have to work out is replacing all my riding gear I destroyed at CMP this past weekend.

dave3593 likes this.
  7. dave3593

I like the coming to mid ohio thing but not the tearing up riding gear thing.

8. dave3593

Woo Hoo. Mid Ohio soon! Im going to pull out the GOOD bike. Along with the old husky I think I'll bring my TZ250. It's interesting. The tz goes down the straights faster than my FZR 600. I wish I was a better rider but DANG this stuff is a blast!

jcivince likes this.
  9. dave3593

Lowered seat, taller gearing, different bars. Going to VMD.

Attached Files:

Kurlon likes this.
  10. nokturnal

nokturnal Well-Known Member

*cough* wheres the pic of the TZ...

11. dave3593

In the January 2023 thread "life is good" thread, rd400racer posted a picture of it under vintage threads. It is green and white.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
  12. dave3593

I had a lot of fun with this at VMD this past week end. Lots of people came in the garage to ask what it was. I'm going to do some more changes/improvements. I can't decide if I'm going to try the 500 motor or not. The 430 already vibrates plenty. It definitely needs a 17 inch wheel on the rear.

13. dave3593

Just an interesting bit of information.

I guessed on sprocket sizes for gearing when I ran this at VMD. It doesn't have a tach but it was geared to hit peak horsepower RPM at 109 MPH. On the long back straight at Mid Ohio it was peaking out as far as I could tell. I'm happy that a near 30 year old, two stroke, 430 single is hitting 109 plus or minus.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
  14. dave3593

I just took delivery of rear end parts for this build. They are perfectly engineered for this dirt bike and come from a premium race part distributor.

A complete wheel with all brake parts off a cbr250r Honda bought from Ebay.

This set up is narrow enough to go in the Husky swing arm with mods. The wheel is 4 inches wide by 17. Just right for a lightweight. I won't have to fight gearing eather.

15. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Well-Known Member

So glad you're making progress on this. Keep it going!

-T

dave3593 likes this.
  16. dave3593

Thanks! I will be riding it in V6LW some next year. With a little luck I'll also try out the 500 engine.

17. dave3593

upload_2024-4-10_7-17-14.png

Making progress.

You see the old Husqvarna now has a Honda cbr250r rear wheel which took significant fabrication to get it and it's caliper on the Husky swingarm. Also there is now a vintage fox twin clicker on it. I had to fab a shaft extension to get it to fit. On the right side is the Honda master cylinder mounted to the Husky frame and still using the Husky brake peddle.

The current sprocket arrangement would make for a 120 mph top end. The present engine could not pull that but the engine is torquey enough it should still pull of the line ok.

I'm not far from testing.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  18. Tim Mobley

Tim Mobley Member

Copy of DSCN0688.JPG [​IMG]

This would be a great start if anyone is interested in a two stroke single. It's got a CR500 motor in it now, but with a little work could be made to house something else. It was built in the late 90's/early 2000's by a NASCAR fabricator, John Rairigh, never finished, sitting in my garage for many years. ZX7R front end, ZX11 radiator, Fox Shock, RC 45 upper, TZ250 Tail, ZX6 rear wheel. Modified Honda Hawk tank. Custom expansion chamber and silencer. Could be had cheap, make me an offer, I'm moving and need to thin down the herd before moving. Just south of Memphis. Come get it....

Super Dave likes this.