1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aeroplane Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Sep 28, 2022.

1. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Pretty sure there's a russian mechanic somewhere in Crimea pounding away on a underbelly.

...or using light blue duct tape. [Скотч]

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Like we didnt see that one coming. Freakin idiot.

Maybe he can still youtube while he does his time. Unless he goes to Epstein's prison because everyone knows cameras dont work there.

4. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

These Mig-23s look rather depressed.

sad jets.jpg

prm, Triple X and BigBird like this.
  5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Those are Romulan "Birds of Prey". ;)

6. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Engine inlets are all wrong for a mig-23. Don’t know Soviet aircraft enough to say what they are (were).

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

My initial thought was SU-25, but it's some obscure Romanian jet, the IAR 93.

8. Resident Plarp

You're both right - I was way off, but should have known better. At first, I thought it was a MIG-27, given the narrow almost radar-less nose, but then I thought it might be some low production/test varianty of the MIG-23 since it did appear to have, at least, a ranging radar of some sort.

9. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Interesting airplane! Never realized that western companies were supporting/supplying Com-bloc companies with equipment. Thing had a Rolls engine/ GE/Marconi avionics plus some Honeywell? Back prior to the iron curtain falling.

10. Resident Plarp

The Apollo Launch Escape System consisted of a rocket attached to the top of the Apollo capsule.

It was smaller, lighter and far more powerful than the first rocket that put an American in space. Fortunately, it was never needed on a manned flight.

LC-36.jpg

Razr likes this.
  11. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Look like a Sepecat Jaguar copy, sort of. I had not heard of the Romanian jet.

12. prm

prm Well-Known Member

That’s cool. Just saw the Saturn V in Houston last weekend.

13. ORIF

ORIF Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
    Zoomie likes this.
  14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

HOLY CRAP......amazing they can eject like that.

A Cessna went down in Virginia today, USAF sent 6 fighters to take a look why this plane was flying over restricted air space. The pilot was seen slumped down, they think they lost cabin pressure.

15. Resident Plarp

That was YOUR boy? Glad to read he’s okay, and what an interesting event to have on his OPR. :D

The seat fitted in DoD jets nowadays, the ACES II, has continually been improved since inception around 40 years ago. It’ll get you away from a jet sitting on the ground at zero knots and all the way up to FU speeds/altitudes.

What usually hurts guys isn’t the ejection itself, but the landing and failure to separate from the ‘chute properly. It can’t be much fun being pulled along in 40 kts winds through a Walmart parking lot after you lost your wheels.

Or, if you were like my dad doing water survival training with no-shit SEALS in Bermuda, the sharks decided to check out the big orange pillow in the sea looking for something tasty. No one got bit, but he learned to be fast getting into that rubber boat that comes down with your parachute. :|

ORIF likes this.
  16. Zoomie

Zoomie Well-Known Member

ORIF that is amazing , and awesome. Not much time for him to decide, and act

ORIF likes this.
  17. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

The pilot was friend of mine, retired SWA Captain from Melbourne FL. I have flown with him extensively and he was very experienced, a good pilot.

It was a 1990 Citation V that was just purchased in April of this year, it had been living in Venezuela since 2015- given the nature of the accident, I'm assuming a loss of cabin pressure followed by a failure of the O2 system, or a failure of the cabin pressure alerting system. I'm going out on a limb here, but Jeff was a thorough and conscientious pilot who was used to an airline level of safety, and I feel he would have checked the O2 system before departure.

I'm really saddened to hear about this, I know that he would never have wanted to let down his passengers.

@ORIF I'm glad your boy is safe, probably had less than a second to decide to get out of that one.

BigBird, ORIF, Boman Forklift and 2 others like this.
  18. Zoomie

Zoomie Well-Known Member

@Gino230 , similar to Payne Stewart incident?

19. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Holy shit, that’s awesome he made it out of that. Any idea what happened with the plane?

ORIF likes this.
  20. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss, looks like a mom and daughter passed too, shitty situation.