1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heartworms...

Discussion in 'General' started by six6two, Jun 5, 2023.

1. six6two

six6two AWD

This morning I took my 3rd pup to the vet for his 12 month proheart injection, and he tested high for heartworms. He has been on proheart consistently, without lapsing. My oldest has suffered the same fate, and is now on semperica preventative as he's a 13 year old stray/mutt who is really starting to age. My youngest is also a stray who was positive when I found her at about a year old, and also now taking semperica after a successful(survivable) treatment.

If any fellow beebers have experience dealing with this, I would really appreciate your input here! I've gotten a lot of conflicting information over the years in regards to both the infection and it's available treatments.

Just doing a little digging this morning I found out that both Proheart and Semperica(both widely regarded as the best option in their class) are made by Zoetis Inc. which just so happens to be owned by Blackrock, Vanguard, and Statestreet. So I'm not too keen on just throwing them money however they ask and expecting the best result.

That said, I am assuming heart worms can cause a really painful death, with the high possibility of breaking off to form a clot. So, I'm not just going to negate treatment here, but seriously looking for another option. I don't understand how this can be happening to almost all of my dogs on Proheart. We do have one of the strongest mosquito populations in the country, but also have a ton of old stray dogs living off trash in the slums rocking majestic gray hair who have never seen a doctor.

Really hoping someone has a suggestion or some kind of option here outside of the Blackrock empire.. but that window seems to be shrinking rapidly...

[​IMG]

2. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I have had acceptable results from Interceptor Plus. Not sure on the corporate background, but I stay away from ivermectin as the active ingredient due to the risk it presents to border collies.

six6two likes this.
  3. six6two

six6two AWD

I'll check em out!

4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I have had dogs on Heartguard and Frontline for over 20 years. They are not outside dogs, so exposure is limited to playing/training/hunting and bathroom breaks, but with as many mosquitoes we have around here(Minnesota state bird), that's got to say something.

six6two likes this.
  5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I picked up a stray 2 years ago that was HW positive. I used the slow kill method using Iverheart max with good results.

six6two likes this.
  6. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Our last senior adoption was heartworm positive. Since she had a horrible bladder infection and her kidney function was in question, we opted for the slow kill method using Iverheart. It takes quite a while, but you effectively kill of whatever immature filaria are in their system as the mature worms produce them until the mature worms die of old age. It turned out that she was diagnosed with stage 1 kidney failure within a few months of adopting her, so I was pretty relieved that we had made the right call.

six6two likes this.
  7. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

If it’s bad enough you may have to go through full treatment. The preventative drugs won’t enough to get it under control. That was the case with my dog. She was heartwarming positive when we got her. The rescue center had already put her through heartwarm treatment once but she was still testing positive. We had put her through another another round of treatment to get her negative. You have to watch them pretty closely after the treatment too. Once the warms die they move through out the blood stream and cause clots.

six6two likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We've been on heartguard forever and no issues at all. Did adopt our pyrenees with heartworm and she was already on doxycycline which we continued. It worked but I also think it caused the kidney failure that killed her a couple of years later.

six6two likes this.
  9. six6two

six6two AWD

Some great info here.. I appreciate yall! He's got a heavy load of mature worms... and has been coughing a LOT the last few months.. according to my vet and what I've found online there seems to be a consensus that the treatment ending up deadly is rare.. but irl I have heard from so many people that it later killed their pup.. but man.. chicken or the egg?! Tough choice, but seeing him cough so much and hearing the term "high positive" doesn't really give me much hope for riding this one out by preventing new ones. He's not even three yet.. and is super tough so we might as well send it.. Wish my boy luck! He's a good one!!!

5D709930-EE38-4319-8EB6-644D8CB35177_1_105_c.jpeg

backho, tony 340 and Sabre699 like this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd take the two years all over again versus her dying from the heartworm.

StaccatoFan and six6two like this.
  11. six6two

six6two AWD

I haven't lost a pup since my parents had one as a young child.. it's pretty eerie having to make these kind of calls with the health care of a being that you can never really speak to... but at the end of the day the heartworms seem to be a really high risk for a lot of suffering.. and treatment should be much less risky regardless of a few anecdotes in my personal life.. shame there's not much data out there to dig through, but at the end of the day the dog's not worried and he's super healthy otherwise.. time to send it again, I reckon!

12. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

My dog was around 2-4 years old when she went through the her treatments. That was a touch over 10 years ago now and she’s still around.

six6two likes this.
  13. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Only 3 years old I'd go full attack and wouldn't do the slow kill. He will feel like total shit for 12-24 hours but after that they perk up. The toughest part is not letting them run for a month while the body disposes of the dead worms in the blood.

Pride & Joy, backho and six6two like this.
  14. six6two

six6two AWD

That's what I'm thinking too.. he's super stout and got some time to figure out preventatives.. but man.. my 1 1/2 year old stray that was positive did the full deal. The vet actually kept her for a whole week.. and they told me to keep her kenneled for 3 months with a 6 week check up in there.. She took it in stride though.. other than the pure agony of being denied zoom zooms for like 2 dog years!!!:eek:

15. backho

backho Well-Known Member

What a beautiful pooch! I hope it all works out well!

six6two likes this.
  16. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Heart Guard here for all of our pups. Never an issue.

six6two likes this.
  17. six6two

six6two AWD

Just got back from a check up after concern over his increasing cough... unfortunately he likes to tear out through roundup-ready soybean and cornfields on the daily that get sprayed with God knows what! I thought with my luck he may get through this treatment only to end up having some wild lung cancer or something the whole time. Turns out, with such a high load, the cough is from his heart inflammation.

Great stuff from yall.. I appreciate the input and obviously the full treatment is the way to go here... will have plenty of time to look into a switch to heartguard or something else in the mean time.. but man their treatment is so intense! Can't believe I forgot.. but he's going to stay on doxycycline for 30 days, with some prednisone to ease up on him whatever it can, with some cough medicine. After a month on doxycycline we check into the vet mon-fri for an intense round of treatment where they can monitor him fully.. then we come home for 30 days of kennel confinement.. followed by another 5 days of heavy treatment at the vet for an additional heavy round, then ANOTHER 30 days in the kennel! Pretty confident in my boy though.. thanks again yall. Hopefully we'll chime back in in a few months with a fully healthy pup, going absolutely ape shit again!:D

Razr likes this.
  18. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Razr and six6two like this.