1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiberglass

Discussion in 'General' started by ghetto customs, May 15, 2023.

1. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

Not your typical fiberglass topic but I'm hoping that in this community, I can find a hook.

I'm buying rolls of fiberglass from south florida. My problem is shipping. Just sucks to pay it and I have tried local places in Nashville to bring in the style I use with no luck as they want me to buy 10 rolls or more... ( I'm growing but can't really afford a 10k lump just yet )

I'm in Nashville and the manufacturer of the brand and style I use is in Louisville, but they won't sell to me direct...

So my question is , is there anyone in here that deals with fiberglass on a large scale?
    Brand - BGF
    Style - 7725
    Width- 50 inch
    Length - 125 yards ( full roll)

2. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

I use Mertons, Fiberglass Warehouse and US composites depending on what I'm getting.

3. ghetto customs

US Composites are one of the locals that refuse to call me back.

I've shopped all over the US and the best deal is in south Florida. I've even shopped for places that's close to fellow racers to have them bring it to the track.

Just looking to see if anyone has the capability to have it drop shipped from the manufacturer or if I can drive and pick it up in Louisville.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  4. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

My neighbor that used to build drag boats sourced his materials through FGCI, FiberGlass Coatings Inc but they're in FL too.

He told me prices went crazy these past couple years and stuff he got for free, wasnt free anymore.
    Used to 55 gallons of acetone for free when he bought two 55 gallon drums of resin.

5. ghetto customs

I'm at about 60 gallons of epoxy and 4 rolls a year. It's expensive on the front end but pays for itself.

6. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Have you tried Advanced Plastics there in Nashville? I know they sell BGF but maybe not the style you want, that could be the rub. (615) 350-6500

7. ghetto customs

Advance Plastics is the Maserati dealer for fiberglass in Nashville. They are way over priced for the same stuff . But no, they do not have the style I use and refuse to bring any in unless I get 50 rolls at still, way over priced. Fuck them!
    I still buy rolls of vinyl from them as somehow they are reasonably priced...

8. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Ok, I had no idea on their pricing, I just knew they were there and they carried a bunch of stuff.

Razr likes this.
  9. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

The guy who previously owned Knox Enduro, Gary Pugh, was a big time race boat builder. (National Championship Boats)

He built everything out of Knoxville. I'll shoot him a screen shot of your post and see if he can help. I'll get him in touch with you if he knows anything.

R1M370 likes this.
  10. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

^^ Bunch of quality boat builders in Tennessee like Allison, Bullet, Master Craft, and Phoenix boats. Wonder who their suppliers are.

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  11. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

12. We are building a couple large pieces of automation equipment that’s not for glass (can’t say what’s it’s for due to NDA) but the company makes high end glass. I’ll ask one of their guys who seems to know how to get stuff ( he just got me way more carbon than I need at his cost, which his company approved because we are a supplier. F ing wish they made resin though. He is in town tomorrow and it would not be too bad of a commute for you to pick it up, all I say as far as location. I’ll send ya a pm tomorrow either way.

13. I know who Allison gets theirs from and although their boats aren’t cheap they use very high quality stuff.

14. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Chris, if you find it in Indiana and need a commercial account there to buy it I can help. The entire RV industry is there. It’s been awhile but the good weaved(twill?) glass was used for FRP(walls) as a strength layer before the mat and gel. That and some big boat factories as well. It should be available.

let me know