1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Santiago Chile

Discussion in 'General' started by Steak Travis, May 1, 2023.

1. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Dressing to match your environment is smart, regardless of if you are American or not.
    And that above list could apply to Florida as much as Chile.

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I put beans in my chili....

3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

[​IMG]

tiggen likes this.
  4. backho

backho Well-Known Member

At the petting zoos I’ve been at they actually sit on your lap, move around, let you fondle their fun parts, and empty your wallet.

cha0s#242, Senna and Gorilla George like this.
  5. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Back when skiing was my go to sport I was supposed to go to Portillo for a summer ski trip. Got sick and missed out, always wondered about a redo.

6. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Isengard or Chile?
    IMG_4284.jpeg

Phl218 likes this.
  7. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Your photoshop editing skillz need some work.
    The sticker saying "Chile" on the dash might give it away...
    @Steak Travis

Steak Travis likes this.
  8. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

When I was there (Sept. '14), my original plan was Portillo.
    But '14 was a very low-snow year; and local intel suggested that Valle Nevado was a safer bet.

In the context of my Pacific Northwet heritage (and the related 'huge dump' character of the place), the Chilean skiing was...unspectacular.
    Particularly in ill-fitting rental gear...

But it was Southern-Hemisphere skiing, by Golly. And I'm glad I pulled it off for a day.
    Besides, the bus trip up was noteworthy in and of itself - sketchier by far than anything in the Western US.

9. Steak Travis

Little man slept the entire flight. Woke up normal time, had a bottle, then it was time to get off the plane. Hopefully going home is the same but being in the same time zone is clutch

Attached Files:

YamahaRick, ungwaha, motion and 3 others like this.
  10. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Is the the hill with the zoo somewhere around the bottom and an outdoor church on top?

11. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

If you are non rev trying to leave Santiago on DAL, watch the loads carefully. We carry a LOT of freight out of there and even the 359 can be payload optimized. Make sure to have an ID90 back up plan.

12. Steak Travis

Yep!

13. Steak Travis

Looked at United and American as back ups . Gotta look again but only one left later than the DAL flight. It looks like there are about 40 open seats on the returning flights everyday. Going down was like 100

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Unsure if typo or brilliant...

[​IMG]

ronin1052 and Phl218 like this.
  15. Steak Travis

thanks for the heads up though . We have a full day today and tomorrow so if we feel like we’ve seen enough.. may look at jumping out early. We also planned on being able to stay longer if needed too

16. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

Not a typo.

Born & raised - got the webbed feet and lichen-crusted back to prove it.

17. six6two

six6two AWD

Be careful down there bro... I'm staying stateside after hearing a bit more about their culture. That said, you can get ahold of a shotgun for hunting down there fairly easily... it's just going to be extremely overpriced. I think you can fly in as a US citizen pretty easily with one too, as long as it's for your hunting trip!

"US Citizens" warned to basically stay inside by the embassy a month ago... here's their watered down warning.. text messages from the embassy to US Citizens were more extreme, allegedly.

https://cl.usembassy.gov/message-u-s-citizens-day-young-combatant-2/

Also, be careful at the airport if you can.. couple of BIG hits went down there just within the COVID era:

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/08/1162046843/chile-santiago-airport-heist-shootout

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-51818107

Last edited: May 5, 2023
    Steak Travis likes this.
  18. Steak Travis

It’s been fine so far . We’ve made a couple friends who’ve told us to keep on the move in certain areas but it’s been no different than nyc or sfo . Watched a dude take a dump in the street.

lovely people that we’ve actually interacted with

the Abuelas are obsessed with Emmett. He’s got big blue eyes and blonde hair and we’ve gotten stopped a couple times

six6two likes this.
  19. Steak Travis

My wife’s Spanish is really good which also surprises them , her being blonde and blue eyed too which has helped. I can get 60% of it but I need to brush up on my speaking

six6two likes this.