1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ways to carry spare wheels & tires in small enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'General' started by Kid a, Jan 3, 2023.

1. Kid a

Kid a Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

I'm looking into ideas on how to best carry/ secure my spare race wheels and tires in my small enclosed trailer.

Was thinking about something off E-Track like an axle sized pipe off the wall (just long enough to hold a wheel) and then a way, maybe like a safety clip or whatever, to keep it from sliding off.

Space is a premium because I only have a 6x12 with two bikes, a tool chest, along with canopies and everything else that goes with track days.

Trying to keep them up against a wall for less footprint.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

3. grapejuiceboys

grapejuiceboys Well-Known Member

4. Kid a

Kid a Well-Known Member

Nice options, but I'm trying to keep them parallel with / on the trailer wall to save space.

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I had a 6x10 that I put a work bench in up front. Underneath the bench were the bike's spare tires, wheels and the trailer spare.
    Along the upper side walls were shelves just wide enough for milk crates (my choice of totes). Getting stuff off the floor definitely makes life easier in a small trailer.

DmanSlam, JBall and TurboBlew like this.
  6. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

rsz_11screenshot_451.jpg

E Reed, Kid a and dtalbott like this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

that rack does exactly that... You can carriage bolt thru the trailer frame tubing. Fold it out of the way if you camp

8. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

collapsible tire shelf. i have the same size setup as you. mine is from Pit Possee

9. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

What about just mounting them along the trailer underneath?

Weld some threaded rod to the frame in like 4 places, then mount them underneath with a large washer and nuts. Leave them there permanently like a spare car tire. Never in the way but always there. If ground clearance would be affected too much you could do the same thing but with a bolt through the floor, and have the spares tucked up into the frame rails.

10. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

Something that helps keep the rotors from getting damaged or bent. I also have a small enclosed trailer and stack mine behind one bike with a tire in between.

11. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Shit man, I thought we were talking about spares for the trailer.

Disregard my previous post.

12. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Pit Posse rack or stack em' with a tire between. On most bikes the rear can go on the bottom with the rotor facing down if it has a tire on it, then a tire, then the front wheel. Add more tires and wheels as necessary. In my experience, they don't go anywhere, but there probably is a limit on how high you can go before you need to secure the stack. I typically never needed more than two rear wheels and one front wheel and that worked fine (rains plus a spare rear). My slow ass and well set up bike could run an SC2 front for half a season, so didn't bother with a spare front.

JTRC51 likes this.
  13. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

Hey just go to the gas pipe section in a big box store and get a little section of pipe that is threaded …that’s long enough to put the wheel on and as wide as your axle…. then buy a plate that mounts on the wall that the pipe threads into they sell them in the same section 4 screws hold it against the wall ..I had one in my plywood walled trailer.. I just looked around my garage to find the one I had but I can’t find it …all I did was drill a perpendicular hole in the end of the pipe put a clip in there to hold the wheel from sliding off it worked great..

Kid a and lopitt85 like this.
  14. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

15. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

I have the same set up for my 2 sets of wheels.
    I hold them down with a tie-down, to make sure then don't up out off the rack.
    I put a tire in between each wheel to protect the rotors and they have spray foam, so the tire doesn't compress (my hold set-up was stand-up, reason why those bumper tires have spray foam in them.

FYI, my trailer is a 6' x 12'

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. Kid a

Kid a Well-Known Member

That's exactly the idea I was looking for! Thanks

sdg likes this.
  17. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Tire rack from Amazon.

tire rack.jpg homesteader10.jpg

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.