1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E-Bikes. Are they murderous?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

or this one if you have an extra $18,000.
    https://www.cabmotorworks.com/Electric-Bikes-p/racer.htm

Optimized 30 kW Sine Wave System The 2023 Racer, with it's 30kW Sine Wave controller, it is by far the most powerful electric bike on the planet, hands down. With an increase of 50% of the power of the Recon, we were able to develop a system that provided a 25% increase in top speed while simultaneously increasing torque by almost 50%. The Racer receives proprietary next gen heat dissipation processes to allow for that high duty cycle that you expect from a CAB.

RACER Sub-frame and Moto Seat Are designed by CAB and made in the USA. The sub-frame allows for the waterproof controller to be housed outside of the body cavity which increases it ability to shed heat, but more importantly opens up that room to add more batteries. The moto style seat was designed and built by riders for riders, so you get the best fit, form, and function out of the seat.

Ultimate Off Road Capability With 10" of front full motocross suspension and 12" of custom built rear tuned suspension, there is no terrain that can stop you. This thing will take the hits and keep coming back, no matter if it's a gnarly downhill trail or the track, The Racer stays a step ahead.

DOT Motorcycle Wheel and Tires With 21" wheels and tires up front and 18" rear, all motorcycle standard and DOT rated, the Racer is ready to tackle any surface. The wheels are hand built in the USA with the latest rev spokes in the cross pattern for the ultimate protection. The enduro tires with heavy duty tubes make the perfect combination of versatility and durability.

State of the Art Battery System The Racer has the largest stock ebike battery in the world with over 3000 WH of energy the Racer can do up to 100 Miles in Ultimate Range (175 lbs rider riding on paved flat ground under 15 mph), see about 20% of that or less if you are hammering down. With the upgraded battery you will officially have the biggest ebike battery in the world with over 4600 WH of energy, this battery will take you to the moon and back. All battery options will charge from empty in about 6 hours.
    High Power Braking System The Racer's source of braking force is derived from full motorcycle brakes, which provide a drastic improvement over any of the bicycle braking systems available. With a vehicle of this power and speed, full motorcycle brakes become a very friendly advantage.

2. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

probably cool but it looks dumb so I’m out. I’ve seen plenty of E and non E bikes creeping up on that price point though. 5k doesn’t seem that bad to me.

Photo likes this.
  3. 418

418 Expert #59

No need to get sand in your vagina baller, I wasn't singling you out.

Just pointing out the obvious fact that these bicycle prices are straight outta control.

4. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I'm currently selling KHS e-bikes. Dealer on the least expensive one is in the $1200 range with MSRP being $2200
    Just like anything else, you get what you pay for.

motion, 418 and cpettit like this.
  5. 418

418 Expert #59

So about 80% markup? No wonder I see so many bicycle shops popping up.

A motorcycle dealer can't touch that.

dtalbott likes this.
  6. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

7. Letitsnow

Letitsnow Well-Known Member

I hurt myself enough on my human powered bicycles - no way am I using a motor without wearing mx gear.

As far as OP's situation - most that would rent them probably aren't good enough on a bicycle to do much damage anyways.

motion and tony 340 like this.
  8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Fixerated.

9. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I'm confused.

Shouldn't you have asked for the input before you bought the fleet?

10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Make sure you are crystal clear with any customers that these aren't actually mountain bikes and are illegal to use on any trail system anywhere, unless you happen to know and have written permission from a private land owner. They are throttle powered electric motorcycles, and aren't even technically legal to ride on many city streets.
    Your customers will get tickets, and they will sue you over them.
    Also, no bike shop will work on those pieces of shit. They are lower quality than the typical Walmart bike, and nobody will work on them.
    You bought throw-away level commodities.

11. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

While I don't want any part of an e bike (yet), I can definitely see myself as a senior on vacation renting one.

Great option for old folks and people with bad ankles, hips, etc.

Also, people that aren't used to altitude rides may run outta breath easier so there's that as well.

Don't skimp on insurance is my only advice.

motion likes this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Why? Are they like a Segway and won’t fall over?

Asking for a senior citizen. ;)

13. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

The biggest reason I closed the motorcycle end of my business.

80% is what I price most components on.
    I usually check with Amazon and price just below that.
    Other dealers are at 100% markup .

418 likes this.
  14. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Not sure where you're getting your info from, but it's not correct.
    1} The bikes he bought are not "Lower quality than Walmart"
    I have "Walmart and Amazon shit boxes in for service often.
    Welds are shit , total crap for components, ect.

I worked with my insurance company when I 1st started renting bikes on a release form.
    I make every person who will be riding sign one and if under 18 , the parent or guardian .
    Like I said earlier, he needs to consult with his insurance provider to make sure he's covered.

NC e-Bike law

https://wsd-pfb-sparkinfluence.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2020/01/E-Bike-Law-Handouts_NC_2020.pdf

motion, 5axis and Photo like this.
  15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

So Sunglass Hut has gotten into the e-bike business. 80% markup.

16. Jed

Jed mellifluous

EBikes are on all the local MTB trails here. Purists hate them as they pass you uphill and get in your way downhill. Definitely not illegal to ride on public trails.

G Dawg likes this.
  17. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

My local shop started carrying similar e-bikes last year. They come with a throttle and are quote quick (20-22 mph).

I told the shop that they are going to have some trouble with them - people getting hurt riding them or running into people on the gravel trail.

Sure enough, my mom broke her ankle on one from the same shop about two months later when she lost her balance approaching an intersection when a car waived her through.

YMMV, but they can be surprisingly gnarly and the low end torque can catch people out if they don’t ride much.

Photo likes this.
  18. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

G Dawg likes this.
  19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

At Motion & Bird, LLC we move at the speed of smell when see an opportunity to loose vast sums of money. While other firms may calculate, speculate and delay...we act. Its how we are able to achieve such impressive losses year after year after year. Its our DNA.

:D

20. brex

brex Well-Known Member

There are different classes of actual e-bikes. Pedal assisted class 1 e-bikes are allowed on most trails, and are great bikes. Class 3 throttle bikes (up to 28mph) are not allowed on trails.
    Class 2 lower speed (up to 20mph) throttle/assist bikes might be.
    The specific bike discussed here, that was purchased, is a class 3 bike.
    They are subject to fines on trails anywhere.
    And yes, these are lower quality than Walmart bikes. You can actually get a decent frame with crap components at Walmart. These piles of garbage have worse welds than $200 Walmart bikes
    Yes, I have seen them. Yes, I have seen Walmart bikes. Your shop isn't the only one on the planet, and if you call these higher quality, I wouldn't recommend anyone take a bike to your shop.
    Then again, you don't sell high end mountain bikes. You sell beach cruisers and low end bikes.

stk0308 and Phl218 like this.