1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California folks check in

Discussion in 'General' started by ToofPic, Jan 5, 2023.

1. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I moved here in May,and have heard so many conflicting views on the drought,and fires.
    The Indians have said it was always like this,and they also back burned to prevent fire.
    The one thing I do believe just from the drought tolerant plants/ trees,it's not new.
    In GA. shit will up and die if drought lasts,even old growth plants/ trees.

malamute and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Except kudzu. :moon:

YamahaRick, 969, Robin172 and 3 others like this.
  3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Well played

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

You stay at a Holiday Inn? You seem to have confused climate averages with climate anomalies.

5. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Perhaps my terminology was flawed. What I was trying to convey is that we have built our entire modern society in California in an area that has historically always been too dry to support what we now use the land for. The past 100ish years have given us a false sense of water resources (as humans are very short sighted) and now we will have to adjust our lifestyles, population and industry in order to survive with the reduced rainfall we will see into the future. Also people are stupid and we have witnessed completely unchecked usage of non-rechargeable groundwater aquifers in the central valley for the last several decades. That is just one example of how this state will be screwed in the future regarding water. It will not get better.

OldGuyOnBlu, hotnail and Jon Wilkens like this.
  6. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Commiefornia has been a complete shit show for decades. The politics have really reduced what was a beautiful place into complete mess. And no end in sight either.

ToofPic likes this.
  7. ToofPic

How is it more reservoirs weren't built in the 5 yrs of this drought?
    This rainfall is just getting pissed away into the ocean.

8. brex

brex Well-Known Member

They're more concerned with removing dams and reservoirs.

969, ToofPic and britx303 like this.
  9. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Less water...Check

Less hydro power...Check

More chaos...Check

Anarchy Rules! :rock:

969, ToofPic and britx303 like this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

William Mulholland’s is a fascinating story. St Francis Dam did him in.

SundaySocial and ToofPic like this.
  11. ToofPic

And pushing the dog shit out of electric.! I love the state,its beautiful! But damned if they dont do stupid shit!
    Just banned menthol ciggys,and I believe some other flavors? Was this really a problem?
    Did see Camel is already side stepping the law with new menthol,not menthol,but relly menthol flavors
    Don't know if we will stay here,but its definitely been interesting! Im on several Lake county forums,and laugh my tits off daily!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  12. ToofPic

Had to give it a goog..of course he's irish af! My peeps

In March 1928, Mulholland's career came to an end when the St. Francis Dam failed just over 12 hours after he and his assistant gave it a safety inspection.

Is he where Mulholland drive came from,assuming?

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Yep, he was the mastermind of the LA aqueduct system. Read the wiki page, gives you a good overall summary of him.

ToofPic likes this.
  14. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Probably illegal to collect rain

SundaySocial and ToofPic like this.
  15. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

The issue with building reservoirs is that you have to be careful how much of the natural stream and river flow you interrupt. You can severely damage downstream ecosystems by trying to fill water behind a dam and reducing outflow. This is especially precarious in estuaries where the fresh water meets salt water. If you reduce outflow significantly then you will have massive salt water intrusion and you have a whole different problem to deal with. Its always a balancing act and often very complex. Areas of the US that have massive rivers (Columbia river for example) are great for power generation because their drainage basin is huge and they flow massive amounts of water all the time. The Colorado River is an example of a large river with a comparatively small drainage basin. If that system doesn't get a lot of rain in certain areas every year then Lake Mead's level drops and downstream areas are severely affected.

16. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Well, sometimes when a mommy cow and a daddy cow love each other very much, they have a baby cow.
    Then that baby cow grows up.

L8RSK8R and ToofPic like this.
  17. ToofPic

Im gonna need some pictures,and a very graphic description,or I aint gonna be able to get off..

18. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Now google Michael O'Shaughnessy.

ToofPic likes this.
  19. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

had to run 2 miles when it was REALLY coming down on New Year’s Eve in a dress shirt, slacks, and dress shoes because I’m an idiot and forgot to stop for gas. that’s about all the inconvenience I got from the storm.

Circacee and ToofPic like this.
  20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Love your avatar pic!