1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heated Jackets/vests

Discussion in 'General' started by fastedyamaha, Dec 24, 2022.

1. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Anyone have real world experience with these battery powered heated jackets/vests? Looking to get one for my daughter for when she goes back to college in minnesnowta in a couple of weeks

2. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Buy a quality one. The ones on Amazon suck and don't really get warm enough

3. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

I have a Tourmaster vest. It’s about 3-4 years old, has 4 settings, on low it’ll last 4-5hrs. On the higher settings it dies fast. It works great at taking the chill off on low and keeping core temp up. I only really use it when I hunt. I’d like it better if it charged via USB instead of a barrel connector. I’m pretty sure the pack is just a pair of 18650 cells so when it dies it can be refreshed.

4. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Milwaukee makes one. That's all I got

R/T Performance likes this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Unless they’ve changed designs, I’d steer clear of the Milwaukee one.

I have one of the heated sweatshirts and used the heat function…once.

It uses an M12 battery that goes into an adapter, which sits right at your kidney (can’t even remember which side). Huge block of uncomfortableness. Impossible to swap batteries without taking it off. If they had put the connection in the pocket it would have sucked much less.

6. wac

wac Well-Known Member

Project farm in you tube got a nice review.

7. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

The Milwaukee one is ok, but there's no heat in the arms at all and you're going to want to wear that under another layer.

I'd only recommend the Milwaukee if you already have some M12 tools . Otherwise just buy a nice coat, it's a pain in the ass.

8. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I've had my vest from ororo for years. I've used it under a hoodie in Buffalo in Feb. I got mine before they added fleece to them. The wife has the fleece version, and I want one of them.

3 settings. I start with high, and it turns itself down after it gets up to temp.
    Big battery that lasts well. I have a spare battery so I can rotate them out.
    Battery has a USB port that I use to charge my phone if I need.
    It's actually a warm vest when it isn't turned on

https://www.ororowear.com/?gclid=Cj...qPYu8wLxwbaL3oiF-m4IDkODfnkqgnQIaAlePEALw_wcB

fastedyamaha and SUPER K like this.
  9. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Begs the question,WTF were you doing in Buffalo in Feb?:crackup:

10. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

That's not the crazy part. It's all the different weather I went through in about 10 days.

Here's the story. I was in Myrtle Beach for a week working, riding MTBs. Mid 80's wearing shorts. Came home and flew to Buffalo the next day. Was there for 3/4 days meeting with Dunlop and checking out the plant. Spent time roaming around town going to Niagra and the zoo. (Did you know arctic animals play outside when it's really cold? They don't do that ever here in SC) Single digits and snow before wind chill. Flew home, and hopped in the truck to go to Tally for the first WERA race of the season. 30's and raining.

I used that vest for Buffalo and Tally.

11. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Duh,I forgot about Dunlop,I live about 10 min from the plant.Did you know Les Washbon?Next time you're in the area PM me and we'll go out for beers and
    wings on me,as long as its not between jan and may,I try to go to FL. cant take the cold anymore:D

stickboy274 likes this.
  12. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Dont have any experience with the battery powered ones but based on how well the wired ones work, I wouldnt hesitate to buy one from these guys if I was looking for battery powered options....owner is prickly as hell but Ive used the wired shirt and pants riding 8 hrs plus from anywhere in the teens to the 30's multiple times and never ran it on full because it got too hot....total game changer for winter riding....almost every GS/RT rider I know has a set (and after using them, totally understand why and why they are the first brand they recommend).

https://www.warmnsafe.com/collectio...mens-heated-baselayer-heated-neck-long-sleeve

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  13. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

14. wac

wac Well-Known Member

15. fastedyamaha

I went with this and if it works, I’ll get one for my girlfriend too

16. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

you are supposed to say thank you to everyone that took the time to share their experiences….cmon Ed!

merry Christmas my friend!

fastedyamaha likes this.
  17. fastedyamaha

Hahahahahahaha thank you everyone for your help, merry Christmas my friend!

18. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

19. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Absolutely. Wore the stuff for years. Gerbing used to have a lifetime warranty on their heated gear. Maybe they still do, but I'm not sure. They off-shored some of their manufacturing and quality with the heating wires declined and heard they brought the manufacturing back in house. But, that was about 10 years ago.

20. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I've got an old Widder electric vest that still will roast you out when you turn it up.