1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoked Salmon

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Dec 21, 2022.

1. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Married to an English girl whose family relocated to Ireland - staple of breakfast and on crackers for special occasions. There is a wide range of quality, but we always stick with the Irish stuff, can't go wrong.

2. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

Like Yz said slice it as thin as possible and add as much or as little as you like. There's enough else there is bring it all together well.

Yzasserina likes this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

Horseradish

Yzasserina likes this.
  4. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

5. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Cold-smoked (Swedish Gravalax style, Jewish bagel style for others) isn't cooked by heat, but by a chemical reaction which cures it - similar to ceviche where the fish is "cooked" by lime juice or similar acidic liquid.

Hot-smoked is of course cooked via heat induction - both are great and have their place.

Both options are great in many applications:

-hors d'ouvres - on toast, crackers, or my fav - pumpernickel crostini's with a fat base like cream cheese, sour cream, or creme fraiche then the usual players like dill, chives, capers, etc.
    -pasta's - particularly well with North American cream based pasta's like our version of an alfredo with a long flat noodle like pappardelle.
    - pizza toppings - I garnish our pizza with the same items listed on the Hor d'ouve above - salmon layered on top after it's cooked with a cream sauce, then dill, arugula, fried capers, chive oil, pumpernickel crumbs...
    - stuffing - great in chicken roulade, rolled into a porchetta, or the obvious sushi application instead of raw salmon.

Wen making my own at home (gravalax style) I add a little raw red beet juice and it adds a little sweetness but mainly it's for the color contrast on the outer layer - bright red, then bright orange inside.

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Since we're talkin' onions and other "not" red meats, can we toss braunschweiger onto the plate?
    On rye with mayo and onion. Mmmm.

bpro likes this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

[​IMG]

Anything else is an abomination.

8. fastfreddie

Do you do the 'sabe and soy?

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Let’s just say the girls know better than to dip their food in my soy cup. ;)

Many many moon ago, down in Daytona for the 200, I succumbed to a dare and plopped a golf ball sized dollop into my face.

Somehow I managed to keep it down. Damn, I did some stupid shit. :D

Yzasserina likes this.
  10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That's my favorite. The place we like the best, covers it in ponzu and onions.

11. fastfreddie

I fill whatever receptacle is provided with the sauce. Then I drop clumps of the 'sabe in and stir it up. Not all the clumps break up, making for some occasionally delightful taste experiences. :beer: Mmmm.

pickled egg likes this.
  12. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

13. fastfreddie

Well there went a set of race rubber. :crackup:

14. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

had an old timer take the same date. Until his passing ( GRHS) he still blamed us for that shit giving him gout

15. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

As noted cucumber a herb or veggie cream cheese some everything bagel seasoning and your smoked salmon on top is amazing. I also have a recipe for cherry tomatoes stuffed with a smoked trout mouse, very easy to eat; both are light enough to not weigh you down but filling and satisfying.

17. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I am interested in this recipe! Please clarify that it is mousse and not mouse. :)

18. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Get some cream cheese and some sour cream. Mix them together to get the spreading consistency that you want. Mix in some flaked smoked salmon until you get just the right amount of fish flavor. I like to add some red pepper flakes for fun. Then you can spread that on whatever crackers you want. I am not adverse to stacking on a thin sliced jalapeno and some Cholula hot sauce.

Phl218 likes this.
  19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Throw 1/2 block of cream cheese into a pan and start heating it. Add milk to the consistency of sauce you like. Stir in 2T of pesto. Put this sauce down as a foundation, salmon, and a dollop of sauce on the top of the fish.

Everyone I’ve grilled salmon for has raved about this sauce. It minimizes the fishy-ness of salmon that many don’t like.

20. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member