Coracoclavicular ligament injury

Discussion in 'General' started by Greenhound386, Nov 2, 2022.

1. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Damn! Well, mine isn't nearly as bad.

Good points on the stretching; I need to do that more deliberately to see if it helps.

If you tried to pinpoint where you're feeling the pain in that tendon, where would it be? My pain is outside and lower than my collarbone; slightly diagonal from the armpit by the ball of the shoulder. Based on images of where the coracoclavicular tendon is, it just doesn't seem right. That's one of the reasons I wanted to get some feedback from other people that have torn this ligament specifically. It is improving, albeit very slowly, or else I'd probably be more proactive on getting some additional imaging and another opinion.

2. mdhokie

mdhokie Well-Known Member

If you want to PM me your phone number, I can send you some pictures of the stretching exercises PT has given me.

It's hard for me to localize where the pain is coming from, but yeah I feel like it's mostly on the outside of my shoulder, where the muscles attach. It also changes somewhat depending on what stretch I'm doing. The doctor told me that the surgery had "fixed the AC joint in place" and also that my time of inactivity in the sling had stiffened it up. I think maybe the AC joint has settled into a different position that it was originally, and the stretching pain is from all the other muscles and ligaments, not just the one I injured, having to stretch farther to get the same range of motion as when it sat someplace slightly different. I'm not a doctor, and my theory may be off, but you may have something similar going on, where the tear in one ligament has shifted things around and making more work for the other ligaments.

BigBird likes this.
  3. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

What imagery have you had done, and of what areas.

Stiffening up after the surgery and immobilization is normal. Stretching and activity will help that greatly.

I've had the same ligament as you done, along with the one at the ac-joint, and some other stuff on a previous surgery (100% recovery on that one too). PT, stretching, aggressive progression under their guidance, and focusing not only on the injury but all of the musculature that surrounds/supports that area was key as well.

Edit: and a huge focus on ROM exercises, both passive and active. Not just a physical therapy, but at home, at work, all the time.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
    Greenhound386 likes this.
  4. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Good advice! 2 CT scans of the general area when I was in the hospital, and 1 MRI scan a few weeks after being discharged to focus on the shoulder specifically.

Thanks! Shooting you a PM now.