1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CV Axle - Which One To Buy?

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Nov 3, 2022.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

CV axles on my 2012 Camry will need replacement soon. OEM is not an option, as they are $600+ each. With third part options are about 20 different options, most all under 25% of OEM. But which brand is the best option?

Suggestions welcome. TIA.

2. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

One with a Warranty. Napa house brand

YamahaRick likes this.
  3. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Have had decent luck with both AutoZone and Advance auto axles. Should be in the $90 range for that car.

YamahaRick likes this.
  4. YamahaRick

NAPA has them at about $110 each w/ current sale (buy 3+ items, 20% off), and limited lifetime warranty. Sounds good to me. Thanks guys.

5. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

Why will it need replacement, is it making noise or boot is torn? If boot is torn fix it, try to keep OE axles as long as possible because aftermarket stuff is not on par with OE quality wise!

969 and gixxerboy55 like this.
  6. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Go with quality factory rebuilds if possible. Most of the chain auto parts store ones aren't the best. A part warranty is great, but it doesn't cover my labor, knuckle skin and vehicle down time, which are the biggest factors for me.

969 likes this.
  7. YamahaRick

It is making the clicking noise. Boots are fine. Car has close to 250K miles on it. So $1300 in parts alone is probably not in its future.

Once a Wanker.. and BigBird like this.
  8. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Napa brand on my BMW. They worked great. I recommend doing both though.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

What’s the 5th digit in VIN?

10. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Rockauto

11. YamahaRick

"F"

12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Looks like new axles are all that’s listed for that model (2ARFE). Plenty of inventory so you shouldn’t have trouble getting your hands on them.

Act fast though because the bag deal is only for two weeks, not the whole month!

YamahaRick likes this.
  13. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Good luck.right side support bearing is not fun.

14. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

Not sure if this vehicle is the same, but on a Solara, Ive used a plasma cutter to cut the shaft so I could get that whole bracket out, and beat the shaft out on the bench. I could not get the shaft out of that bearing while it was on the car, struggled for quite awhile.

15. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Have you looked at what your Camry is worth these days, lately? I have a 2010 I'm keeping so I won't have to drive my new truck every day.

16. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Same car,I was able to unbolt and remove the bracket and axel together, then soak overnight with penetrating oil.

17. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

This was an older Solara, and on that particular car, you couldn’t get it all out in one piece, there wasn’t enough clearance, thats why I had to cut the axle.

gixxerboy55 likes this.
  18. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Just get new ones dont get remans.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.