1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music business

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave Wolfe, Oct 18, 2022.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Trampled by Turtles. No harmonicas I’ve found so far but, You’re welcome.

socalrider and E Reed like this.
  2. 72westie

72westie Well-Known Member

Watched this last night. Thanks a bunch for the recommendation.

stk0308, Steeltoe and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  3. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

All the song writers I know would love for George strait to sing one of their songs. That's their job and it's a better job than being the artist. Don't have to put up with all the fame BS but you still make great money once you get a few songs cut and go #1. First year pub deals give you a livable wage then all you have to do is wake up at 10am go to your write, then go to the bar at 4pm. Do a writers round a couple times a month and put in the work.

The session musicians are the real deal. They create stuff out of thin air and it's good. The guys that play it live are also really good musicians but the guys in the studio are wired differently.

Bluegrass is more fun to see live but Josh Williams playing Cherokee shuffle is a good version, Ronnie bowman is good, IIIrd Tyme Out for some great bluegrass then you realize it's gospel music.

One of my friends is a decent artist on signed to Arista in BNA but I think he still makes more money for the songs Luke, Tim, Blake cut

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    stk0308 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Excellent! Blew my mind first time I saw it.

You might like the documentary Buena Vista Social Club too. It's about the Cuban music scene pre-Castro. Producer Ry Cooder finds the old hit makers and they make a record. Great record too.

Hondo, Once a Wanker.. and Yzasserina like this.
  5. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

So if you listen to this pop country stuff on the radio, it seems like 90% of it is super nasal, about 1/2 a beat behind the tempo, and about 1/4 or 1/2 tone flat.

About drives me nuts, it’s all the same sound, and for me, it gets tedious after awhile. Somebody needs to come along and not sound so danged whiny.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  6. MikeR

MikeR Well-Known Member

I came here to say exactly this! You want legitimate music, singers and for the most part roots that follow/lead to it....Bluegrass is where it's at! Did I mention that I play the banjo?! :D

SirCrashAlot likes this.
  7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Respect don't pay da billz!!!!

Hey that's better than racing, at least it isn't costing them anything!!!! There are probably less than 20 road racers in America that can say that.

I don't believe it is cheaper to own your own jet, based off of talking with a friend that sells them and also pilots them. Having said that, if you have plenty of money, like Iron Maiden, it is definitely more convenient.

I'd just rather not listen to it, but surprisingly my kids like it and it seems most people do.

I would rather listen to Rap or Disco over country.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
  8. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

2008, we landed at Gatwick and pulled up right next to the Iron Maiden jet. It was pretty cool. The End :D

cpettit and Hondo like this.
  9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

DaveK had it right when correcting my statement of ownership. Maiden leased the jets.

10. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Podcasts and death metal are pretty much all that grace my phone. No clue about the business end of death. Metal but the market is pretty small so I don't think anyone is getting rich or getting songs written for them.

11. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

There are still some really good musicians out there in metal land. The music isn't my taste, but I do appreciate the talent it takes to make some of that. Of course, like any genre, there is crap with guys that can't sing of play well too.

12. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

If you haven’t seen the flight 666 documentary about their tour, watch it. It’s awesome.

Yzasserina likes this.
  13. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Just posted a youtube piece in the youtube thread that talks about the operations of a larger scale tour and what goes into the day and night grind of a touring operation. This popped up in one of the stage hand / events groups on FB. Not sure who made the video, but they did a pretty good job of boiling it down for civilians.

14. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I happened to watch that last week, very informative.