1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F'n Wood Peckers!....

Discussion in 'General' started by The Todd, Oct 13, 2022.

1. The Todd

The Todd It's 'The Todd'

I live near Milwaukee, WI. The house is nearly all Cedar siding.
    We had some wood pecker damage, mainly on my rotting chimney chase.

I had the chimney chase re-done, old wood replaced, and then the whole house painter about 1.5 yrs. ago.

I just noticed MORE wood pecker holes and damage today! FML!

I have an Owl decoy, even the rabbits aren't afraid of it anymore.

What can I do about this, that is NOT expensive? I'm not repainting the house for a while.

I'm thinking about getting a new owl decoy and mounting it on top of the chimney chase! LOL

What to do?

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Ha! Couple weeks ago I spotted no less than 3 different woodpeckers hammering on my siding. Bought some of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/363660509707 and hung them up, we'll see how they do.

3. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

Cat on the roof?

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Should have gone with latex.

6. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I'm no metallurgist, but I hear lead's pretty cheap.

sdg, CBRRRRR999 and dtalbott like this.
  7. 969

969 Well-Known Member

Crossman 760 10 pumps.

8. Jed

Jed mellifluous

They don't peck wood for fun. You have bugs.

Slider82, stk0308, BigBird and 2 others like this.
  9. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

10. Greg ZX6R

Greg ZX6R Well-Known Member

Obviously the answer is to get a real owl and train it to do your bidding, like Beastmaster.

BigBird likes this.
  11. Tristan

12. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

You need to get rid of the bugs/grubs they are after.

13. Tristan

well, yeah... but until then I'd like them to STFU right outside my office. I'm sure I have some carpenter bees in the siding, not sure what else could be in there. After dealing with termites at my old house, I scorched the earth all spring and summer with Termidor around the foundation, and other various granules and sprays all over the property.

14. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I used to have a house right near Wilmot, and they would always go for the chimney chase (cedar cornerboards). Though I agree they're usually looking for bugs, I never saw evidence of them in the areas they damaged. I hung some CD's on each corner of the chase, and never had another problem. Could be a coincidence, or maybe they worked.

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

What a fucked up situation. Cedar is supposed to be bugproof, but I guess the installation left open access to the space behind it.

16. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

That was my solution to a "T"...

17. pro69ss

pro69ss Well-Known Member

I have them peck my gutters , so I don’t think they are always after bugs . I use the owl decoy and move it from the rear fence to the roof in the front of the house . Seems to be working for 2 years now .

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Considering they'll peck at metal fences and such I'm not sure how true this is...

ToofPic likes this.
  19. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Over the summer I'm outside early in the morning getting ready to go to work. I fire up the van and had to go back in the house for something. Right after I start the van and I'm walking back in the house I hear this rapid metallic pinging noise. It goes for a about 5 or 10 seconds then stops and then starts again. I'm like what the fuck is that? So I walk back to the van and I'm listening to the engine hoping it's not coming from it. The metallic sound starts again and I can't tell where the hell it's coming from. Finally I look across the street and on my neighbors roof there's this stupid fucking wood pecker pecking the chimney cap. He's just pecking away at the damn thing. Stooopid wood pecker.

20. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member