1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free time in London, UK.

Discussion in 'General' started by Jedb, Oct 12, 2022.

1. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Headed to London for work next M/T/W and will have Thursday to the following Tuesday free.
    Staying in Canary Wharf area, but can get to pretty much anywhere.

What would you do with a couple of days free in London over a weekend?
    Places to see?
    Food to eat?
    Restaurant recommendations?

Currently have one evening planned for an EPL Game (Brentford v. Chelsea).

henry_carlson likes this.
  2. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

What are you talking about? UK is in Lexington. London is about an hour down I-75 from there.

rd400racer and Jedb like this.
  3. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

So, you're suggesting the fried chicken... :D

bpro likes this.
  4. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

I'd check out that bridge they're always singing about, before it falls down.

fastfreddie likes this.
  5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

That's in Arizona now.

britx303 likes this.
  6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Visit the Queen's burial site.

7. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Amsterdam

8. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

And I know why…….:D

9. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

British History Museum.

Other museums that tickle your fancy.

Hop on a bus and see where it takes you.

Jedb likes this.
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Indian food, best in the world is in the UK. You’re required by law to get fish and chips one night, find a good shop. Wonder around and tourist watch.
    Really, it’s a pretty okay place to be stuck for a few days and they speak ‘Mercian there but with stupid accents so dealing with the natives is easy enough. :D

Jedb likes this.
  11. muguvian

muguvian Well-Known Member

There are several good pubs/restaurants on Fleet Street like The Old Bank of England and the Sweeney Todd meat pie place. The food is terrible, but I hit Ace Cafe off the North Circular Road a couple times. I never went in October, but a local told me the Jack the Ripper/Sherlock Holmes walking tours were cool around Halloween, at least they were 10 yrs ago.

Jedb likes this.
  12. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Dude! You can hop a train and see about anything! Next time i'm over i'm heading up to the aviation museum in Duxford, or find a random castle to visit (my favorite is Warwick). However, you can play London Super Tourist. Check out the HMS Belfast museum, the view from the Eye is nice, but not exciting, Art museum at Trafalgar Square, etc.

Jedb likes this.
  13. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Book an EasyJet flight over to the Isle of Man and spend a couple days there.
    Rent a motorbike and make that historic lap, even with traffic and at posted speed limits... MAKE THAT LAP !!!
    Eat at the Creg, visit museums, check out some pubs.

dtalbott, laich528, ducnut and 3 others like this.
  14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

British hookers & blow and chase it with warm beer.

16. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

The warm beer joke is as stale as the cat meme. If you like real ale, or if you have never had it and are game to seek something new, hit up a CAMRA pub. Increasingly hard to find traditional beer, but still widely available. Pubs that serve real ale tend to be much better pubs beyond the beer as well. CAMRA's pub map app:
    https://www.london.camra.org.uk

Jedb likes this.
  17. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Take a tour of the Globe theater. Worth the time.
    https://www.shakespearesglobe.com/
    Go shopping at Harrods in Hyde Park Area. You are walking distance to Kensington palace there too.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...5ee630d4b4e0d42!8m2!3d51.4994055!4d-0.1632344
    Have a meal at Duck and Waffle. View can't beat and the food is excellent. Plus you are 5 minute walk to the tower bridge and tower of london. SUSHISAMBA is right upstairs from Duck and Waffle too. Amazing but f'ing expensive!
    https://duckandwaffle.com/
    https://www.sushisamba.com/locations/uk/london-heron-tower
    Ride the tube.

So much to see in London, its overwhelming.

Reservations will be a must for almost everywhere.

Jedb likes this.
  18. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

You may not wanna, but you're GONNA eat some peas and beans. Fuckin' limeys...

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

watch a football match

Jedb and dtalbott like this.
  20. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

2 more thing2. The Indian food there is legit! Get some Chicken Tikka. Screw the bangers and mash, they are gross! Try and find a proper Sunday Roast at a good pub. Probably the only veggies you get there.

BigBird and Jedb like this.