1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica | Superbikes at Alabama | Barber Motorsports Park | Sep 23-25

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Sep 20, 2022.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

saw a bunch of stuff on facetubes from RRW, and multiple shares from a variety of folks.. I too have been following BD's progress since i met him 2 years ago at Summit Point. as you said, 14 yrs old, and i was pitted behind the Bobblehead moto gang, and this young guy comes over and we are talkin, and he asks what the 600cc track record is, and states he's likely gonna get pretty close to it. At that moment, i was a chuckling a bit honestly, but talking with Emerson and Xavier Z who was riding with them at the time, heard and saw, he was a real potential talent.. and as we have seen.. he sure is !

lopitt85 likes this.
  2. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Currently they can.

3. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I've never met him or anything but I have been following his progress in MotoAmerica. I remember watching his his first race and the announcers were talking about how he had to wait until mid season to start racing because the MotoAmerica's min age was 14 and he was looking good from the get go.

I was surprised he moved to Twins as I thought he might've stayed in JrCup again, but I also have followed a bunch of threads here where it seems more people than I realized are not fans of JrCup in terms of prepping riders for racing in the bigger bike classes.

I'm happy for the young fella and he seems very mature in his interviews. You could see the joy in his body language after the race. Like he was so happy he didnt know what to do.

4. Hayden259

Hayden259 Active Member

Blake did awesome this season. It was impressive to see his progression throughout the season and a pleasure to mix it up with him. He’s a deserving champion and the kid has a bright future

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

He shouldn’t want an opportunity to get back in the seat racing?

He shouldn’t want the ability to have someone else fund most the racing?

He shouldn’t want an opportunity to shine, which could lead to other paid rides?

If he were my som, I would be proud of what he accomplished in this class, and hope it opens more doors.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  6. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

It's just collective silence from all the new RS660 owners who are mad they spent double what an R7 costs only to see their bike lose. ;)

Suzuka_joe and henry_carlson like this.
  7. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Not in the JUNIOR cup. But again, Just my opinion.

KneeDragger_c69 and Circacee like this.
  8. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I know you’re being facetious, but doesn’t the 660 have a lot of restrictions against it in MA?

9. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

So, in your opinion, he should have just left the sport?

10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Yes, which also means it doesn't require as much $ to build it to "MA Spec". By the time you do a full build out on the R7 (superbike motor, R6 front end, etc.), it is going to probably cost as much as the 660. In addition, you will most likely be spending more time and probably more money on R7 Superbike motor maintenance vs. 660 stock motor maintenance.

Boman Forklift and Gino230 like this.
  11. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Actually the Ape is cheaper once you factor in everything it takes to get the R7 competitive.

The RS660's shine at Barber, there are alot of very high speed entries where you need front end stability. The Yamaha is not quite as good on those entries, it's more of an exit focus bike.

From what I've seen, Blake is the real deal and that championship is well deserved. It's crazy competitive in that class!

12. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Just bottom end, it looks like. Not sure what's actually being done in the paddock (on either bike) re: the top end.

upload_2022-9-27_10-41-59.png

Senna likes this.
  13. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Takes about 8k to make the r7 make more power than the stock aprilia

03RumbleBee and 2blueYam like this.
  14. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I see both sides of it, but it's ultimately a disagreement with the MA rules. I think you're just arguing the principle of "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should". Which is your opinion, but there's still technically no rule infraction.

15. Dragginass

Not saying that at all. He could compete in twins, SSP etc. I'm just saying leave the Jr cup for the juniors.

16. Dragginass

Exactly. As I said before, the rules allow it. I just don't think he should WANT to compete in that class. It goes against the spirit of it, IMO.

Boom likes this.
  17. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I think that's just it though. He was at home and didnt have any opportunities to ride in twins, SSP, etc. Then he got back into JrCup, did well, and opened some more doors for himself. IIRC, he has had some rides in twins because of it. I think that's a much better option than being stuck at home without a ride.

malamute and Boman Forklift like this.
  18. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Boman Forklift likes this.
  19. Dragginass

Yall keep beating the dead horse. There's nothing to argue about. He's allowed to ride in the class, I just don't think he should want to. My opinion and I ain't changing it.

drop and 418 like this.
  20. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

You seem to think that racing against children is somehow easier... which simply makes it obvious that you haven't ever raced against children.