1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motogp Sprint races are stupid.

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Aug 19, 2022.

1. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

2. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Maybe AM73 might be good at them, No?

3. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Never.

The.Johnner likes this.
  4. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Everyone said the same thing when F1 and world super bikes introduced them.

Suzuka_joe likes this.
  5. 418

418 Expert #59

Competition yellows coming next.

6. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

They already have sprint races, it’s called qualifying.

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

This new thing is new and therefore stupid. Prolly Mongo's idea in a further attempt to destroy road racing.

Sudowoodo, Jedb and Phl218 like this.
  8. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

If they're going to do sprint races, I want to see motogp endurance races. With pitstops, and tire changes etc. Sprint races on Friday, endurance Saturday, and regular race on Sunday. Easy peasy. :D

fastfreddie likes this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, it has made the WSBK record book useless. F1 went back and forth trying to decide who gets pole position in the record book, which leads me to believe they hadn't thought this through either. I haven't even bothered checking if the Sprint race counts as a race win now that it's no longer counted towards pole position records. Anyone know?

418 likes this.
  10. Critter

Critter Registered

This is a dumb idea period

11. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

The races are already short enough that grid position dictates 60% of the finishing order

12. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Curious. Why? Because "race laps" and the tires?

13. PPPope

PPPope Well-Known Member

He may be referencing rider championship points/wins. 40 races to score points/win vs. 20.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I'm speaking for myself, I get that it doesn't matter to the general public. But for instance, how do you compare Haga's record to Toprak's? Do you assign the same value to wins, or do you consider that Toprak's total is cheapened by sprint races? It's a good thing that Rea has won so much that there can be no question as to who really is the winningest mofo out there, but it won't be that clear cut for everyone. Again, I get that it's my issue.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  15. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Have you asked Garth ?
    I heard he knows a thing or Two :clap:

Robin172 likes this.
  16. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

We are farmers...

Chino52405 likes this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:crackup:

18. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

This is a pathetic gimmick to make it look like they’re “doing something” about flagging viewership. It’s already a lot to follow 20+ races and keep track of everything that’s happening in the sport. Now they want to give us MORE of the thing that people are watching less of?

It’s retarded and will vastly cheapen the main event. One of my favorite things about MotoGP has always been the pure simplicity compared to other motorsports. No gimmick races, no top N advance to the next round bullshit, no multi phase season nonsense, just show up and race and whatever you put up you put up.

This greatly cheapens the brand. I’m actually less likely to watch with an increase number of races, and now there’s another variable to keep track of. If they really want viewership numbers to improve, reign in the ride height and aero nonsense so that dudes can pass.

Ian178, 418, HPPT and 3 others like this.
  19. BigBird

BigBird blah

This is stupid. I believe a sprint win is a race win

Razr likes this.
  20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member