1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

goin to hawaii, any advice/places to go??

Discussion in 'General' started by gixer1100, Apr 12, 2006.

1. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Have a fantastic trip.
    33 years in San Diego and I've never had the desire to goto Hawaii.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Kahului - 4 days
    Honolulu ~ 6 days

3. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Should be plenty of time on each island. I'm assuming you'll have rentals. The Hana highway is very popular, can be quite congested. Lots of little hikes and waterfalls along the way, but the easiest one to get in and out of especially with a big group and a couple cars is the garden of Eden.
    Aside from Baldwin beach and Kihei, the western edge around Lahaina and up to Kapalua is pretty and although it's a very touristy area, you can still find a beach spot to chill. If you want to do a luau out there, there's one in Lahaina that is really good, but a bit pricey.
    On Oahu, lots of touristy things to do, or find your own beaches and hang. Pearl Harbor is of course a place to visit for the history, you gotta go early to get tickets to the Arizona, but the Missouri is still cool, and the submarine will show you how small and tight quarters those things were/are.
    The north shore is crowded, the Kamehameha highway gets very backed up. Turtle beach is nice, it has a good swimming/snorkeling area for all ages. But it's not the best place for turtles.
    The sunset beach/banzai pipeline stretch is fun to watch the big waves and surfers. There's an elementary school across the street from the main pipeline stretch that makes it easier for parking.
    Waimea falls area is a nice walk through the flora up to a pond with falls. You can swim in there if you choose. It's a cost to do the walk though.
    And Waimea beach has a really neat feature where the fresh water river from the falls runs into the ocean and you have that cold/warmer water merge and flow. Good place for the kids to play in the water too.
    Dole plantation I guess just to stop in and learn about how pineapple grows, get some tourist stuff.
    The west side is forgettable unless you just want to go for a drive. Very different vibe, way more urban camping, the people really don't like outsiders over there to be honest. The mermaid caves are neat, but you'll have to decide if it's worth burning a day getting over there.
    Ko'olina isn't worth it. Just some manmade coves and chock full of the people staying at those resorts.
    Polynesian cultural center is cool, but again you're burning a day to do it.
    Punchbowl cemetery is neat, but maybe not all ages will dig it. Same with diamond head. It's a cool drive into the crater, but the hike isn't for everyone.
    Hanauma is cool, the blowhole is as well. And again, Waimanalo beach is very nice. Different sand and water, nice long stretch and I've never been there when it was crowded, unlike Waikiki. But even at that, it's nice to relax and play in the water along Waikiki and Queen's beach.

G2G and BigBird like this.
  4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I’m with you, I’ve been 2x and my wife would like to go again. I just tell her there are 100 other places we haven’t been yet and I don’t really need to see a different island over there.

5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

It's worth it. We just came back from 5 days in Pacific Beach a couple weeks ago. It's a nice stretch along there as well, but the sand, water, vibe, weather, air, everything is so different. San Diego area is definitely the best part of kalifornistan, by far.

L8RSK8R and socalrider like this.
  6. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

For me, the only reason to spend the money on Hawaii is Pearl Harbor.

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

San Diego is nice, especially along the coast between Del Mar and Oceanside, but it can't compare to South Orange County. Monarch Beach to South Laguna is on a different level from pretty much anything.

socalrider likes this.
  8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I've been to Hawaii so many times since the early 60's when I lived there. Poke from Foodland is the only real reason for me to go back!

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Only been once, in ‘95 IIRC, to the Big Island. Would love to go again with the kids and see the lava floes from Kilauea.

BigBird likes this.
  10. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

And, poke from Big Save in Kaloa on Kauai!

motion likes this.
  11. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Father-in-law was born there, and wife wants to go badly. I used to want to go………then I got married. Bye-bye dreams of becoming friends with Turtle, winning a surf championship and getting Nia Peeples.

12. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Going to have to start a me too movement in regards to Nia. From the lead of Shalamar to a surfer dude, with a couple of other mixed in, that baby doll has been around the block a time or two. Regardless, she’s aged fairly well for being almost ready for SSI. I’d snuggle with her…

britx303 likes this.
  13. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

upload_2022-6-7_10-2-53.jpeg She’s even hotter with the lung extractor on her hip :D

14. black knight

black knight Well-Known Member

Lots of good suggestions, we got a tip from one of the hotel employees when we stayed and Boot's & Kimo's was one of the best breakfast's I have ever had. We went about 10 years ago and there was a line for about 45 mins every day, but worth it. It looks like they moved to a larger location so maybe better. But the macadamia nut banana pancakes are world class tasty food. You won't regret it. The Kualoa Ranch is a total tourist trap, but they filmed lots of movies there and you can take an ATV tour (throttles governed of course) but it was pretty cool. The Valley of the Temples is pretty cool too. It is a cemetery and many faiths are represented there, church mormon temple I believe and then also a Buddhist temple, very cool and peaceful not the normal tourist thing but worth doing. Kind of on way back from N shore.

15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Good call, that Jurassic Ranch is something the kids would really like. All ages can appreciate the landscape and the place in general, but especially with yet another Jurassic Park movie coming out, the kids would like that place.

16. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

There is a great airplane museum on Ford Island.
    We rented a Harley and cruised the island for a few days.
    The shrimp trucks are a must stop.

17. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

Shaved Ice - best sno cone ever