1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R.I.P. CV-63 USS Kitty Hawk

Discussion in 'General' started by auminer, May 31, 2022.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I'll have to let my dad know this. He was on the Kitty Hawk in 63-64, if I remember correctly.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  3. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

We (VF-121) was on her for F-4 Carrier Quals in the late 70’s .. Albeit was all local ops, off San Diego.

4. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

In March 1984, Kitty Hawk participated in "Team Spirit" exercises in the Sea of Japan. The Soviet Victor-class nuclear attack submarine K-314shadowed the task group. On 21 March 1984, at the end of the Sea of Japan part of the exercise, K-314surfaced directly in front of Kitty Hawk, time was 22:05, too dark and far too close for Kitty Hawk to see and avoid the resulting collision, with minor damage to the aircraft carrier, and significant damage to the Soviet submarine. At the time of the accident, Kitty Hawk is estimated to have carried several dozen nuclear weapons, and K-314 probably carried two nuclear torpedoes. Kitty Hawk was thereafter considered the first antisubmarine carrier weapon and a red submarine was painted on her island near the bridge but was ordered removed upon return to home port North Island San Diego, CA.[11][12]

Kitty Hawk went to the U.S. Naval Base at Subic Bayin the Philippines for repairs. A piece of one of K-314's propellers was embedded in Kitty Hawk's bow, as were some chunks of the Soviet anechoic coating, from scraping along the side of the submarine. The result was an "accidental" intelligence coup for the U.S. Navy.

Pride & Joy likes this.
  5. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Didn’t get any traps (back seat) on Kitty Hawk. Did on sister ships Connie and Indy, though just a few. Even back then the difference was pronounced. Nearly all on Nimitz boats, and much preferred them!

6. auminer

Yeah, back in my day, we didn't allow any traps on the Kitty Hawk.

Ohwait... you mean THAT kind of trap. :D

I was a pit snipe, the only time I ever saw the flight deck was when I'd relieve the balls to 4 smoke watch an hour early to look at the stars.

Even at sea level (plus 150ft or so) way out to sea under darken ship the stars are incredible.

7. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

The Shitty Kitty as it was lovingly referred to back in my day.

auminer likes this.
  8. auminer

You got Captain's Mast for saying that during Captain Denny Major's tenure. Dude was....... different. You half expected him to go off on a rant about strawberries at any moment.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
  9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Frozen strawberries I presume....

auminer likes this.