1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aprilia RS660 IRC QS VS. OEM For Race application

Discussion in 'Tech' started by swetngblts, Mar 21, 2022.

1. swetngblts

swetngblts Well-Known Member

So far i am not impressed with the IRC. First race weekend out using it about a month ago i left it at default settings. Horrible. The QS ability is not so much the issue as is the DS/BLIP. If youre only doing 1 DS fine but anymore than that and you may shit your pants. A couple different things happen on the 2nd DS. When you hit the 2nd DS the bike either lunges forward, doesnt blip so your mind is unsure about the shift, doesnt engage (feels like its jammed), a combination of those or it may work. Even when it does work its very harsh, nothing seemless about it.

Second race weekend (practice). Played with the settings that are available. IRCs directions arnt the greatest and i cant seem to locate some of the settings in the unit that the paperwork indicates is there. Maybe they omitted some of the settings for the RS660, not sure though. Anyhow, i changed a few settings to make them more sensitive and quicker cutout timing. Basically same as above but a little better. Race comes around and the Aprilia system malfunctions and i resort to the old fashioned method. 2nd race the Aprilia system malfunctions again and resort to the old fashion method but am now prepared for it. Then, i updated firmware in upmap and reflashed map and now i get the proper QS dash symbol as before it was showing (R) GP but i was always shifting Standard. Race 3 the Aprilia system and the IRC work but again the IRC is very harsh.

So, those of you racing with OEM QS or IRC do you have some input? Ditch the IRC? Do i need to fine tune the IRC settings? Is the OEM QS/BLIP good?

2. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

I have ridden a couple of these built multiple place and the blip issue you described with more than one down shift was present. My benchmark is a 21 r1 with yec ecu and the Ape left a lot to be desired.

3. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

I thought that the OEM auto blip portion of the quick shifter is disabled on the Rs660 when then race ECU is used. Something about tranmission not up to the task of race abuse and auto blip.

4. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

It's a setting in the dash "AQS down", race ecu is same. Haven't heard anyone having luck with it in racing, but haven't gotten to try mine yet. For what it's worth, they specifically note that they have it off on the official Trofeo version as well.

5. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

It's not the IRC unit. All that does is replace the stock linear sensor with a load cell.
    All the the cut and blip timing stuff is in the ECU. I've had the same issue with the stock sensor on track.
    Mine has never been happy with rapid multiple downshifts either. It also has a tendency to get confused during the first shift (when it determines if you're running GP shift or standard) and turns itself off.

For what it's worth, if you look at video from last year's twins cups, you can see De Keyrel using the clutch for downshifts.

6. swetngblts

swetngblts Well-Known Member

I dont have the Race ECU. I have the AQS enabled and IRC setting on pull (standard). It appears the IRC is not necessary for this bike at this time as its only good for upshifting QS and 1 DS/BLIP based on several peoples experiences. Im sure it could use some fine tuning in the settings but overall IMO it aint worth the headache.

7. bruceiam

bruceiam Well-Known Member

This sysytem certainly could use some refining. My experience is that it only seems to allow 2 autoblip down shifts and prevents them all together if your downshift will over rev the engine.