1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leathermann multi-tool

Discussion in 'General' started by DBConz, Mar 7, 2022.

1. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

someone recommend a standard one to get? the website has a crap load of models and i dont even know some of these tools included in them.

just looking for a basic multi-tool that works for the average person.

screwdriver, flat head, knife, pliers, cutter, etc.

2. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Personally, I like the Gerber tool with the slide out jaws, better.

socalrider likes this.
  3. joec

joec brace yourself

Get @Metalhead for your secret santa. I use the one he sent me all the time!

Metalhead likes this.
  4. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Agree. The slide out tools are much easier to use.

I still have one i got in the Army over 25 years ago. Still works great.

6. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

7. 27

27 Well-Known Member

the jaws of the pliers extend out of the handles once you flip them out. In addition to the leverage of the now extended handle the jaws are usually better on these models as well.

DBConz likes this.
  8. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

ive had a gerber one for 15ish years now. much more leverage than the fold out styles.

9. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Love my leatherman. Best. Roachclip. Ever.

R Acree likes this.
  10. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

I think the preference of style depends on what tools you use the most. I typically like my Leatherman Wave more than my Gerber. The main tool I use is one of the knife blades. The pliers / screw drivers are secondary for me. If I need to turn a nut or something then I probably want a properly sized wrench or socket. If you need the pliers more often then the Gerber is probably the better choice.

renegade17 likes this.
  11. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

exactly. i'm looking for something simple and basic for everyday use. was on vacation trying to use a GoPro on an excursion and suddenly realized i needed something to tighten the screw on the handle. the floaty is thick and you really cant get the screw finger tight. realized i probably should have some sort of multi tool, because i've been running into random situations like this lately.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Same, it's like having switchblade pliers :D

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Instead of having to fold the tool to get to the pliers and other items the pliers on the Gerber just slide out the end and then lock in so you can use it easily one handed.

DBConz likes this.
  14. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I had about 200+ multi tools aftet winning a bid on TSA confiscated items a few years back. Still have several SOG, Kershaw, Leatherman and Gerber ones. Sold a dozen or so on here a while back.

Send me a pm and ill send pics of what i have left

StaccatoFan, Triple X, chobes and 2 others like this.
  15. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Wave is my fave of the Leatherman tools. It differs from the Gerber mostly in that it hurts your hand right away, rather than doing is suddenly when the Gerber cuts through something.

black knight likes this.
  16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

100% Gerber. Mainly because when I was a climber the Gerber can be opened with one hand while hanging off whatever. Leatherman is good though.

17. ShadowBoxer

ShadowBoxer Well-Known Member

Leatherman MUT is still my favorite but I ain’t buying another, I lost one and some jacksass at worked lifted my replacement. I’m on the hunt for something similar but around $100 or less.

18. 27

27 Well-Known Member

what kind of shitty work environment do you work in?!?

Maybe I have a warped sense of trust but no construction site I’ve even been on would a sub or any other person take a tool owned by another. If anyone leaves anything every other crew guy would run around asking until they found its owner... like racing ethics

AC1108 likes this.
  19. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I've had a Leatherman Wave for about 20 years. Looks brand new, despite loads of use.

20. river rat

river rat Well-Known Member

When I was 16 a party I was at got busted by the cops so I did what any delinquent would do and ran. As the cop was chasing me I heard something hit the pavement as we ran across the street. After laying in the field for an hour or so and the cops left the house I backtracked my path and found a pair of Leatherman that the cop dropped and the pliers were coated in weed resin lol. I’d like to think the cop was using them but he probably just confiscated them earlier in the night