1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.308 vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Discussion in 'General' started by StaccatoFan, Jan 19, 2022.

1. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Thats a lot of round for a small AK variant!

2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Said screw it and bought all the components at the shoppe yesterday. I've got a small problem with the grip assembly I'm going to ask the about, but other than that,
    I have the lower done thanks to some consultation with the U-tubes. Had a lot of fun yesterday with the tinkering of it all.

Got a Sig Sauer Tango-MSR 1-6x24 SOT61000 scope to mount on it for optics. I don't forsee me shooting past 200 yards. Hopefully this does the trick for that application.

3. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Fixed my 308 yesterday DZ. Running f*ckin' awesome. Wife loves it more than the 556 :crackup:The wee lass was still in firefighter training course, so she missed out on going to the range but the ol' lady was telling her all about how much more awesome the 308 was...........guess 308 bulk orders are going to be a thing:p:flag: The outdoor range we go to is a hike for you but its 5 bucks a day or 20 bucks for a year!!!!, When we get the go ahead on a private farm to shoot, yall are welcome to come down.More fun shooting up stuff than punching holes in paper:rock:

StaccatoFan likes this.
  4. StaccatoFan

Let me know @britx303 I'm down for $20/year even if it's a bit of a drive.

I hope to finish my AR10 today. I have a 100 yard lane at Guntry for tomorrow at 11am.
    I'm kind of excited to shoot it. Denise is coming along and going to shoot too. She's never shot a rifle, so
    that should be fun to see her reaction the first couple rounds.

We also got Alex a .22 this week. Guntry allows shooters age 8 and up.
    He and I will go shoot at Guntry next weekend. He was so excited when we went and got his .22 on Wednesday.
    You should have seen his face when they handed him the rifle at the counter. I'm going to mount a little Pinty scope I have
    onto it for him. It will be great fun to teach him firearm and range safety.

jrsamples and britx303 like this.
  5. britx303

The club we are part of in southern AA isnt that far for you, but its pistol and rimfire only. Perfect for the 22. Its 150 per year for individual or family, and open 24 hours.......members get a keycard to get in the gate anytime. Theres a rimfire only 50 yard range, with 15 or so lanes, and almost any time you go, nobody is there, so its nice and private. Self policed, so no ranger rick to deal with, if you feel froggy and dump a few rounds quickly. 2 of the rimfire lanes have spinner targets setup, and that makes it more fun for adults........i mean kids. I can bring yall in to shoot as guests anytime for free. Let me know, we'll work it out.

6. StaccatoFan

I found out the range I go to allows kids 8 and up. So I got Alex the M&P AR15-22 as well. I put a little Pinty scope on it for him.

Last Sunday we went and did rifles in the morning, and handguns after lunch. That Pinty scope is getting replaced.
    I let him shoot my AR15....his face was priceless. He was on target at 50 yards. Made a couple scope adjustments on his own once I explained how/what they did..and he put a few on teh X dead center.

For handguns, I rented him a Glock 44, but I also let him shoot my Sig .40. Again...his face....the grin..priceless.

Today, I went by myself with the AR-10 I built. Aero Precision parts all around on this with a Sig Sauer Tango-MSR (LPVO) 1x6-24 optics. LOVE THIS RIFLE!!!!
    Aero Precision's Customer service is awesome. I screwed up and trashed the fastener that tightens the hand guard trying to keep my workspace tidy before trash day.
    Called them up and told them what happened....new part delivered to my door in 2 days...no charge.

Now I want to build another AR15. Yeah, I know I have one already. I'm going to leave that one as it is. I'm going to research/read more on the various parts and take my time
    putting this one together with my own personal touches/choices. Definitely an Aero Precision stripped lower to start, maybe the same for the upper...I was so impressed with their qualtiy and the Customer Service. It's just a new thing to tinker with....and then when you're done tinkering, it goes BOOM!!!! and you get to tinker with the optics to zero it on target.

I used to read the rifle/gun threads and just think "I don't get it, unless you hunt." But, now....I get it. And now it's something we can all do together. (I even took Denise once to shoot Alex's .22, and she had a great time).

skidooboy, Clay, Montoya and 2 others like this.
  7. britx303

Wait til he shoots the 308!:rock:

skidooboy likes this.
  8. StaccatoFan

Yeah I’ll stand behind his little skinny butt with a mattress. Ha!!!!

britx303 likes this.
  9. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I was going to join RBGC for Christmas but bought a new (to me) car instead. I'll probably join this spring as my daughter is showing some interest in shooting, and I would like to get into shooting longer range (they go out to 600 yards). I know one or two members there, and it's a very nice facility, I went and watched a few cowboy action events a few years ago, and like the fact that they have a "plinking" 22lr range to just go shoot at stuff and not have to shoot targets all the time.

BTW a friend is a member at the indoor range out on Barrett Parkway, Governors Club or something. Met him there the other day for lunch (member only restaurant upstairs) and the food and service was very nice. As he said it's his "Guntry Club". They have a 100 yard indoor range as well as indoor skeet.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  10. StaccatoFan

Indoor skeet would be cool as hell.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Indoor range on Barrett? Wow. Only downside to that is I hate that road :crackup:

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Holy shit that place is pimp!

13. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I was impressed. The ranges were cool but the upstairs members area for food and drinks was very cool.

I didn't get over to the shotgun range but will have to try it out. My buddy said the only bad thing was they use steel shot or something a bit different and they don't have the right shot for his 28 gauge.

And you can sneak in the back way from Chastain...

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Noticed that once I pulled it up on Google Maps :D

15. StaccatoFan

Ever done sporting clays?

Now that’s some fun with a shotgun.

16. camp170

camp170 Well-Known Member

Now you need a nice bolt action Ruger Precision rifle in .308 and you might be able to find one in the classified right here.

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So which is it? Nice, or an RPR?

18. StaccatoFan

Got another AR15 Lower coming. And Aero precision is haveing a Presidents Day Sale this weekend. Got almost the whole gun ordered for under $1000.

jrsamples and Clay like this.
  19. camp170

camp170 Well-Known Member

What’s your issue with RPR? I realize it doesn’t cost a zillion dollars but is there something I’m missing?

20. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Who knows how to read barrels?

Tikka T3 barrel, 308. Has about 400 rounds. Weird spiral cuts from manufacturing.

WIN_20220215_21_58_29_Pro.jpg

New, no rounds through this Springfield Saint 308. Lots of weird chatter cuts.

WIN_20220215_21_11_55_Pro.jpg