1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying used helmets and racing gear: would you/would you not?

Discussion in 'General' started by DmanSlam, Jan 31, 2022.

1. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I post this as a serious question which, imo, is above the type of oil you're running in your engines. Maybe above the radiator coolant vs water discussion for track day discussion.

There's a lot of used helmets (and other racing gear) for sale. Not just on this beeb but in other track/street motorcycle groups.

Used helmets, racing gear and protective gear. What's everyone's thoughts? And "why" or "why not"?

2. flewid

flewid Well-Known Member

I'm sure anything but a helmet is fine. Given the condition of suit, boots, gloves etc. I'd never buy a used helmet.

3. DmanSlam

@flewid, agreed.

I don't shy away from purchasing used leathers, boots (and, sometimes, gloves). For those, "it depends" on their condition.

The thought of buying a used helmet is another thing. I don't even think I would sell a used one. Might let someone borrow one of mine in a desperate pinch though.

4. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Helmet's have a "born on date" and depending on age won't even be permitted on most tracks.

5. DmanSlam

True, but "crash date" isn't. Not every org checks the helmet date. Some do at the beginning of the season only.

6. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Wearing a helmet that has been on someone else's head just seems weird to me.
    Just buy new unless your collecting them to put on a shelf.

DmanSlam likes this.
  7. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Bought almost all my gear used... Except for helmets. Actually, my first ever helmet when I learned to ride was from my buddy. After that every one has been new.

Just not worth it to take the chance. Some good helmets out there that aren't too expensive.

8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Like everyone else, I'll buy anything used but helmets.

That's just nasty.

9. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

New helmet and current born date must be within 5 years if you plan to race. Everything else that hasnt touched the pavement in some form of a crash is fine.

10. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I'm with the "anything but a helmet" crowd, providing I get a chance to inspect prior to purchase.
    I'd also throw back protector in the buy new category.

11. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Used helmet is gross

britx303 likes this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Not the answer I expected.

969, Gorilla George and BigBird like this.
  13. apcojo

apcojo Member

Helmet new
    Anything else depends on condition
    Undersuit.....depends on the color

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

my first suit was used.

I didn't want to buy an expensive suit and not like the sport. I had very few street miles ridden before hitting the track, so yeah everything motorcycle was new to me.

Helmet nah bruh, first one was an Arai Oval shaped jobbie. After crashing that one, I went to Shark and then Bell. Gotta save somewhere. Now in a Simpson for Car stuff.

15. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

I’m grossed out by my own helmets, can’t imagine wearing someone else’s. I won’t even wear someone else’s hat.

RichB and thunderalley3 like this.
  16. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I bought a used Arai once, and got a whole new set of liners.

Boots/shoes no, unless it's minimally used and has no funk. Not tryin to share foot funguses.

17. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Is there also a used toothbrush thread?....

Bleah!:eek:

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You two sound like those sissies who will hold it in instead of pissing in their leathers. You should take up knitting, with your weak immune systems. :D

(I don't think it needs to be said but I'm sure some will be miss it anyway: sarcasm.)

969, TurboBlew, jasonhise and 3 others like this.
  19. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

Along those lines...where is the mfg date on a Shoei x-14? My RF had it on the chin strip. I do not see one. No problem with used gear but I would prefer to know who I was buying it from just in case they had bad lice or were known to not take care of their stuff