1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The wait is over. Need help from the iracing gods on the beeb..

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Monitor imho just based on playing with all the VRs and the graphics to me just aren’t there yet.

2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Depends on your budget .
    In order to get the best VR experience , you need to spend $$$.
    The chip shortage & data mining have driven the cost of graphics cards to get out of hand when you can find them.
    Nothing really new as far a VR hardware. And from what I've read, it's going to be a while.
    I prefer VR and using Valve Index.

3. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

What VR have you tried ?

Quicktoy likes this.
  4. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Not with the iracing game but with regular games and pretty much every high end one out there. I’ve probably had 20 VR sets through my pawn shop since the oculus development kit came out years ago. My pawn shop manager builds gaming computers for customers so we get a lot of gamers through the shop.

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I'd be interested in the computer build.
    At today's prices, mine cost $4500
    GPU/CPU make all the difference.

6. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Where you located?

I cant do monitors after using VR, but I don't have triples either. VR doesn't have the best graphics, but they're good enough, and the immersion is so much better.

7. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I'm in Huntsville Alabama. The only VR I've ever tried is the VR "rides" at the arcade where you sit in a seat that moves.

I'm fine with using monitors if that is easier, I just wasn't sure if it was even possible to get a good computer and/or computer parts right now with COVID/Crypto issues. I did enough research the first time that I feel like I know about seats/wheels/pedals and what my options are, but the main computer is something that I will either buy or have built for me, I don't deal with computer parts.

8. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Ahb ok, well if you're ever in Austin I have a cockpit I need to get rid of. If you're gonna buy, go with 8020. Can't stress that enough.
    You can still get a good enough computer. Maybe not top of the line, talk to Erik about the computer. He's a big nerd like that.

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I do indeed. Has been bullet proof since I bought it. No problem on questions.

G Dawg likes this.
  10. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

If you're on FB, search the various Sim Hardware pages.
    Lot's of people that got into it because of the lockdowns, are now selling their stuff.
    Erik can build a system for your needs.

BigBird likes this.
  11. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Who is Erik?

12. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

13. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I started in VR, moved to triples, upgraded the triples, then moved to a single 49" ultra wide, all while messing with VR again in between. The immersion is awesome, everything else sucks IMO.

Unfortunately the best way to get a computer at a decent price now is buying a prebuilt. Historically building your own has been cheaper (and more fun IMO) but thanks to crypto it's almost impossible to find a GPU at MSRP. If you want to PM me your PC budget I can help you find a solid PC. If you are on Discord you can add me Erik Luke #4520 and we can chat as well as bring you into some channels and get others perspective as well.

My biggest advice when it comes to sim racing gear is buy once cry once. I went through 3 cockpits, three wheel bases and three sets of pedals, eventually buying the stuff I wanted in the first place. The good news is it's very easy to sell the hardware. A good set of pedals is a must.

BigBird likes this.
  14. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Are any of the curved monitors good for sims? A big one in front then a pair of curved ones wrapping around the sides would be theoretically perfect no?

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

So the 49" UW was the best?

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Well the application has no idea the panels are curved so you are projecting flat planes on to a curved surface. The impact is minimal however. I run curved triples and really don't notice it compared to the flat panels they replaced.

17. 600 dbl are

That is up for debate. For me it's perfect as I mainly run GT cars and LMP2/1 cars, so the small loss in field of view was no big issue for me. Running open wheel cars would probably be better served with triples. For the cost of my ultra wide you can buy triple 1440p monitors. If you are limited on space, a single ultra wide is the way to go. I also went from 1080P triples to the 1440P ultrawide and it was like cleaning a dirty window, the graphical improvement was awesome. If I got a wild hair up my ass and wanted to go back to triples, MSI makes 32" 1440p monitors that I would go with.

The biggest problem I have with VR is distance clarity. Objects 200+ meters up the road are not crystal clear, and I don't like having to move my head down to clearly see the gauges. The center of the VR lenses provide the most clarity, the edges are blurry. Keeping your head straight and looking down and the gauges are blurry. No Bueno for me.

18. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Did Glitterpants have good pedals?

19. 600 dbl are

Fanatec V3's

20. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

BUNCH OF VIDEO GAME PLAYING NERDS!