1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Been out of the game for awhile...

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by bilet69, Aug 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. bilet69

bilet69 Well-Known Member

Thinking about track days and racing again as a old head lol
    Seems like the new R7 yamaha seems like the lightweight bike of choice...
    Any input?
    Anyone know if they plan on adding it to the D class list of eligibility?

Looking forward to possibly coming out of retirement.

Thanks

2. mattys281

mattys281 Banned

I'm kinda in the same boat. I recently bought an R6 with the intention of doing track days. I haven't even owned a bike in 10+ years, but I never stopped thinking about it.

Anyhow, the R7 is very interesting, I considered buying one myself. I decided against it as being a brand new model, there's essentially no used parts market and I didn't even find any new aftermarket goodies available for it as of a couple months ago. I personally decided to stick with something you could find parts for in the classifieds. Although I have to admit I even messed that up, as the R6 I bought was a 2020 and it's been much tougher finding stuff for that then it would have been for a <2016 model

Just my .02

bilet69 likes this.
  3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

I’ll bet it goes directly to LTW twins

bilet69 likes this.
  4. William Schneider

William Schneider Well-Known Member

If you want to go with the LTW twins, and you are willing to buy new, it seems like the RS660 is going to be the class leader for years to come as it has a ~10 hp advantage over the rest of the pack. Though, I really don't have any significant expertise.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not seeing it come true just yet.

6. William Schneider

What do you mean? The power advantage? They seem to be doing well in motoamerica. But I do not follow too closely. I haven't done too much research into this.

To be fair the R7 would be a fine choice as well it seems.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not seeing them dominate or even be the class leader. I don't go to MotoAmerica, I go to a lot of WERA races. They're still having a lot of teething pains.

E Reed and William Schneider like this.
  8. William Schneider

So then what's your recommendation on bike selection?

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Currently, SV650.

William Schneider likes this.
  10. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Your more likely to find spares at the track for an SV650

11. bilet69

Keep in mind the reliability of the Aprilia is a huge question mark... Yamaha parts you can get anywhere

William Schneider likes this.
  12. bilet69

Definitely the 120/180 combo gives you a better choice of rubber I would say....
    thinking with development, the yamaha will be the bike to beat.

13. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

So you have already made up your mind and you are just looking for affirmation that you are right!
    OK, you're right the R7 is the best bike.

14. bilet69

Well was looking for more input, not patronization to make myself feel better lol See ya out there hopefully

15. bilet69

Long time NO chat buddy!
    As far as classes go I see the R7's main classes as being the LWT Twins and Formula 2... Does not look to be D class legal correct? any changes on that?

16. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

You do remember where you are, right? :Poke:

Pretty much every "learn me" thread the OP already has their mind made up and is just looking for justification.......

17. bilet69

I see some things have never changed

SuddenBraking likes this.
  18. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

As an owner/operator of an FZ/MT07 superbike, I think the R7 could be competitive in LWT Twins SS, unlike the 07, because it addresses most of the stock 07's issues : fork offset, shock linkage, and no slipper clutch. If you're focused on LWT Twins SB andF2, there isn't anything about the R7 you can't do with an 07 currently. Either way, since most 07 parts will also fit an R7, except the handful or so of unique R7 parts, parts availability for an R7 shouldn't be an issue (putting aside that many OEM Yamaha parts just aren't available right now due to supply issues).

19. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Or, you could just take my post at face value, in which case, that is input.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Correct and no, no change. It's a LW Twin just like the SV.