1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

04 gsxr 1000

Discussion in 'General' started by Sandman39, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Sandman39

Sandman39 Member

Good afternoon everyone,

I am new here and just need some insight, yesterday I came across Jason curtis’s 04 gsxr 1000 where he won the WMSA AMA superbike Championship, I am hesitant to get it and here is why, it’s been sitting around for 5 years according to the guy who is selling it. It’s gonna need a lot of work of course which is fine, he is selling it for $2500 I know that’s a super low price for a gsxr 1000 race bike, I am not new to the track as I have hit the track before (barber, road Atlanta, back in 08-12 but I rode the 600 class back then, so question is should I purchase it since it’s a low price, but needs a lot of work ? Thanks any sight would help

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  2. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

What is "a lot of work"?

And how about a list of the go fast stuff on it (Ohlins, engine work...ect)?

3. Sandman39

Sandman39 Member

4. Sandman39

Sandman39 Member

And what I mean by lot of work, Looking like 2k of work, full service on everything and tweak a some stuff on it.

5. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

No title or MSO and a stock motor, might have ohlins carts and shock but hard to tell from the pics.

I don't think $2500 is a deal if your saying it needs $2k to fix.. just my opinion

6. Sandman39

Sandman39 Member

Yeah just a bill of sale. Again it’s a tough decision, i test rode it in a parking lot but you know that doesn’t do any justice until I hit the track and see what it’s all about, hence why I am turning to the experts here

7. Sandman39

Sandman39 Member

Again 2k might be over reaching, but again just don’t know, of course after sitting for 5 years it’s gonna need Atleast 1k of servicing done to it, suspension adjustment (if it’s an ohlins) and then the motor thats another story

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Id keep searching and hold out for an 05-06. I've got an 03 sitting in the trailer. It was an endurance bike, but know id prefer to ride the 05 instead.

9. Sandman39

Sandman39 Member

Okay cool, I appreciate the insight on everything, I just wanted to confirm what my gut has been telling me which was not to pursue it since there is little to no history on the bike expect the fact that it was risen by someone who is well known the in the racing circuit Beyond that it’s a crap shoot

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

why are you interested in this?

11. Sandman39

Sandman39 Member

I’m looking to get back on the track and start competing at the same time don’t want to take my gsxr 600 street and transform it into a race bike, would like to have best of both worlds street (canyons) and race bike..

12. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Kev59 likes this.
  13. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Always

14. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

An 04 GSXR1000 is not the best of any word these days. But if your budget is $2500, you're not working with "best of" material.

You could probably buy something newer with less pedigree that works better for the same money rather than fully shit 25 bucks into a has been.

15. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

I'm going to be the devil's advocate. From the scant info, maybe it doesn't need much. How much less could you get an almost? (again details are unknown, but it's not a basket case) ready track bike of that capability for? I've never been interested in a 1000, but I thought 2004 was a good year for those, unless I'm mistaken. Bring 2k and get your finger nails dirty (if it's straight and the motor is good) imo.

16. Sandman39

Sandman39 Member

Yeah I mean I am searching for something better, I have found an 06 600 for 4K I’m trying to keep my budget under 3k.. yes the 04 1000 comes with unknown questions, everything under the “hood” there is an ohlins dealer here local that I did send the same pics that you see in the ad above and he said it does NOT have an ohlins system in it, and other fast goodies are unknown as well, I didn’t want to get it just because it was ridden by a known racer or as one of you called it a has been lol, I guess I could just save up some more bones and see what else I come across.. the plus side is the bike is located right down the street from me so it would not take much for me to bring it home.

17. Sandman39

Sandman39 Member

I used to own an 04 I now ride an 07 600 street which is IMO the best. Honestly I could go for any Suzuki race bike from 04 + just have to see.. I’m going to go to willow springs in may so like to get something by then.

18. Sandman39

Sandman39 Member

The Todd likes this.
  19. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I always like to mention salvage title bikes. They are an excellent option for track only bikes. They get totaled with just fairing damage and you can pick them up dirt cheap and have an awesome toy.

My first track only bike was a 06 or 07 GSXR 600. Paid like $1800 IIRC, including a new subframe which cracked when the passenger foot pegs hit the ground.

Never had a single problem out of that bike.

The Todd likes this.
  20. Sandman39

Sandman39 Member

Awesome, I didn’t even think of salvage title bikes, slipped my mind completely, appreciate that insight