1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey Portland peeps...

Discussion in 'General' started by tl1098, Mar 22, 2021.

1. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

What the actual F

I recommend discussing it here though:

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Why would that affect PIR? Is it owned by the city/county?

4. 418

418 Expert #59

Apparently.

5. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

I think it is considered a city park,could add some excitement to the racing there:D

6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Damn and I thought the deer at barber and summit point was a issue...

5axis likes this.
  7. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

PIR (Portland International Raceway) is a city park / city owned.
    They have drifting, MX, road racing, and Bicycle racing (both CX and Road).
    Additionally they have all the SCCA & other club racing.

The proposed 'vote' would allow homeless to camp in open spaces (read: empty lots, parks, etc)

Here's a more in depth view:
    https://www.kgw.com/article/news/lo...osal/283-c427735c-3835-4286-8aba-80048ab7a8cf

IMO, allowing the camping will further degrade quality of life for all portland residents at the hands of the few that don't actually contribute to the tax base, the general city welfare, nor the positive that Portland once was.

IF allowed, then you can be sure there will be problems, theft, drug use, etc at PIR. Generally the racing community here is a good one, and do a good job of making sure things in the pit area are secured. This proposal would definitely set up a conflict.

Senna likes this.
  8. Jedb

I'd rather take my chances with a deer. At least the engine noise will give them warning.
    The meth-heads will think it's a call to pick up scrap aluminium.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Cheap chicanes?

10. Jedb

I'd rather deal with deer.

The bikes don't usually run the chicane, as there's a transition from ashphalt to cement to ashphalt to cement and then one more to ashphalt.
    Also, if the bike blows the entry to the chicane, they will run right up the back of those exiting the chicane.
    MX is held roughly where the table of turn info is.

Bike run straight at C1 through C3. Cars and vintage bikes go to the right.
    Course runs clockwise.
    Track record for Superbike is 1:06ish
    Novice time to graduate used to be 1:19/lap over 6 laps

[​IMG]

11. Jedb

Here's a better map.
    Bike run straight through 1 --> 4

[​IMG]

12. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

Boy, I miss going up to that place. :(

Not the best racetrack in the country but I had some great times there when my son was racing. Some pretty good people there as well, even that JedB guy! :p

Harp, Razr and Jedb like this.
  13. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

The first public hearing resulted in a lot of "are you out of your effing minds " in regards to parks and open spaces being included for encampments.
    Another public hearing coming up.
    But, the city is well known for holding public hearings, because they have to, then just going ahead with whatever they planned to do.

Phl218 likes this.
  14. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I think he could be referring to tent chicanes?

Jedb likes this.
  15. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

The panhandlers could hold up pit boards.

Anything helps.....
    +2
    lap 23
    P1 go!! go!! go!!
    :D

16. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

LOL. That’s going to be a cluster. First bike weekend there, and some homeless guy sets up a motorcycle superstore in tent city. Yeah dude, we got gas cans, and they’re already filled.

17. elevenn7

elevenn7 Well-Known Member

I've lived in Portland for going on 40 years - and in the last 6-7 yrs the homeless (er...Junkies disguised as homeless) problem has exploded. Bad policies and weak leadership is turning Portland in to the third world. Thank god I have a trailer to lock everything up during race weekends. Makes me sad...

Jedb likes this.
  18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Im flabergasted by this fact....How does a city/county run by...I cant even call them tree huggin wackos as tree hugging wackos are right wing to them...own and operate a racecourse?

I now give it less than 3 years of operation before they are forced to turn it into a transspecies only nature park with government sponsored stagger thru heroin dispensary. And of course a play area for small kids, so they can learn the ropes. Total estimated cost to redevelop this land is 40 billion, but hey its just government money right?

19. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

During WW2, the land PIR sits on was a city called Vanport.
    It housed the workers for the nearby Kaiser shipyards, building Liberty ships.
    Postwar, a flood wiped out Vanport and it wasn't rebuilt.
    The City ended up with the land and it became stockyards, an expo center, a golf course and PIR.

20. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

What's the big deal with filling open space with bums?