1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holy S@#t the field is stacked @ the 2021 Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Yes, I just got home from Daytona. I chatted with Richard down at the Daytona 200 Memorial. I'm looking forward to working with him again at Weirs Beach for the Tower St. Hill Climb during Laconia Bike Week.
    "Hi everyone! I'm Richard Chambers! I used to race, but I don't anymore 'cause I broke everything but my mouth!"

grasshopper and Sabre699 like this.
  2. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

I look at it this way:

The announcer wasn’t wrong any more often than the scrolling position and timing thing running across the top of the screen. At one point Sean Dylan Kelly’s name appeared in 3-4 different spots.

Lapped traffic is part of the D200, I don’t think they should change the race format for a “problem” that every rider has to deal with.

For the first race of the year I have watched, it was really good and I hope it is an indicator of what is to come in 2021.

3. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Hobbs was listed as 7 in the timing screen, but I think his bike had 97 on it. Landers was listed as 97X in the timing screen. I watched the whole race and was confused by that as well. I'm still not sure I know what Landers bike looked like.

The Great One likes this.
  4. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

Was good hanging with you at Jennings and shooting the shit (this is Jimmy, btw;) ) You better set those Pats straight and tell them to get rid of Cam!

YamahaRick likes this.
  5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

many, not all, that are complaining, simply have zero idea how hard it is to fill up dead air time... and would find SOMETHING to complain about.

Thistle and mike574 like this.
  6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

At times listening and reacting to announcer flubs took precedent over watching the race so I ended up muting the stream to keep from getting angry. Bad announcing to 'fill dead air' is worse than no announcing.

stk0308, RonR and turbulence like this.
  7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I don't remember ever complaining about any announcer. I've heard complaints about Robbie Floyd, Greg White, Scott Russell, Roger Lee Hayden, Ralph Shaheen, Ricky Carmichael, and they are all okay with me, maybe they have an occasional issue but nothing worth complaining about.

Having said that, Richard Chambers does bug me and I wish they would move on from him. I'm pretty sure I may not do it very well, but I think I could do it at least as well as him. I've run user conferences and seminars, where I had to interactively speak in front of 400-500 people on multiple occasions.

ToofPic likes this.
  8. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I had issues with Leigh Diffy back in NBC F1 days because he had a habit of spoiling other races during F1 broadcasts.

The 200 announcing was annoying and comical only because it was for a dedicated audience on an obscure streaming service. If this were a TV broadcast I can't imagine what a casual racing fan would have thought hearing that.

stk0308 likes this.
  9. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

The casual fan would have thought David Estock was back out there lol.

10. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

Normally Pat Gonsalves is at Daytona with Richard but thanks to Covid travel rules it was too difficult for Pat to get to Daytona from Canada so he missed his first Daytona since sometime in the 70s.

Gino230, Peter Hively and MELK-MAN like this.
  11. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I absolutely had a bigger problem with the ticker than the announcer. The shitty announcer definitely gets a small pass because of the ticker, as its likely he was looking at incorrect timing data as well. And Hobbs registering as 7 but running 97 with Rocco a few spots back at 97x was so bad it was funny.

The Great One likes this.
  12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

.. even though 90+% of the announcing was spot on, where the guy only does it once a year, seeing these riders on track like never... ummkay.
    not singling you out, just a general comment to those STILL complaining about the "horrid" announcing ;)

13. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

I would pay extra $$ if there was a no commentator option for motorsport events, put a mic by the exhaust and I'd be good with that.:)

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're too funny, you act like you've never listened to the at the track announcing for the 200 before :crackup:

15. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

When Richard walked out of the shit house that day I almost fell over laughing. He was in there for like 10 minutes or more just blabbering away on the can.

16. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

^^this^^

And was it ever revealed why it kept showing SDK as last?

17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

My bone to pick is this, you're announcing the largest purse m/c roadrace (i.e. professional) in North America. And doing so you should do your home work. That means knowing how to pronounce the rider names, what brand of bike and tires they are on, who the crew chief is, and any interesting things about them or the team. You find this out by walking the pits, taking notes, and asking questions starting on Thursday. Then you go and talk to Tony Romo, Oscar Solis, and Thermosman (or other suspension dudes) to know some cool stuff about rubber and suspension because at Daytona this shit is different. For instance a few comments about how, when, and why MD decided to race here, what he thinks of the track, etc. THEN you have more than you need to be able to fill in when things get slow (red flag) and you can keep the listener engaged.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

He was #40 but they also had him as #40X so I think it was a transponder duplication?

19. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

I agree that they should be doing this (and I assume they did) but you also have to realize there is only so much you can learn and remember for a one-off weekend. Do you remember when Simon Crafar started commentating/pit lane reporting in MotoGP? If you don't, he was fucking terrible. Mumbling, stuttering, fucking up names, seemingly only turning on his mic when bikes were coming down the main straight, etc. And this was a guy who spent YEARS in that paddock surrounded by many familiar faces. Fast forward to today, he's the best asset on their commentating team, because every weekend he got better and better.

It's impossible to maintain any type of learning curve when the 200 is once per year. It'd help if the MotoAmerica guys covered the 200 too because there is so much rider/crew/team overlap, but that's obviously not in the cards. Even if that did happen, people would just be bitching about Greg White instead.

20. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Pats? Cam? Never heard of them. :)

G8rDuc likes this.