1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holy S@#t the field is stacked @ the 2021 Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jan 30, 2021.

1. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Was confusing as hell as I thought it was too. They had same number 97. I guess Hobbs changed to #7 after red flag I think.

2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

For everyone bagging on the announcers google richard chambers, he's practically a motor racing legend and certainly is around Daytona yes he's getting up there in years but there's a lot of history there and yes at times they were watching a feed that was 30 seconds behind the actual race

MELK-MAN, YamahaRick and JBall like this.
  3. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

People just looking for something to bitch about. The dude is cool. Reminds me of Harry Carry announcing for the Cubs. So what if he makes some mistakes, wrong comments and has drank 14 Old Styles.

MachineR1, Triple X, Thistle and 2 others like this.
  4. mike574

mike574 Well-Known Member

Just watched race and I don't understand all the bitching from coverage that was the best footage I seen since CCS took over, just wish I was able to watch it with my brother in it. Sadly my brother this year never made it one complete lap. Had a huge highside into the international horseshoe while starting his first hot lap. Some one oiled down the track ans my brother was one of the first to hit it. He managed to qualify as he went out in last QP, but was way to sore to make the race. (turns out he suffer broken bones in his foot and torn ligament in his hand) Dame shame because weather was great and we had the pace to finish inside the top 20. Hopefully we can try again next year, but these last 2 have been rough

cBJr, jd41, mpusch and 3 others like this.
  5. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

That sucks, always good seeing you guys out there.

6. Gino230

I am all for the 110% cutoff, even though that would have still had 44 starters instead of 56. Virtually no difference.

If you're going to do that, you would need to eliminate qualifying tires. Which means tire stickers or some other type of tire control, which is costly and time consuming for a one off race. Many of these guys are using rears that last 1 lap for qualifying.

Car racing is apples and oranges. There is more than one driver per team, the trout paying the bills doesn't need to qualify fast, he just has to stay clean on his stint.

Lapped traffic is a fact of life in endurance racing. Hell, Rocco got lapped, which means there were only 7 guys on the lead lap. The same people bitching about lappers would be bitching if there was only 20 bikes starting the 200, and with the attrition due to mechanicals and crashes, the closing laps would be about 12 bikes running around a 3 mile track.

That thread would probably look like this: CCS sucks, the 200 sucks, Daytona sucks, the announcing sucks, no cigarette sponsorship sucks, Dunlop needs to stick to Road courses because he sucks, etc.

FWIW, Nascar using the road course and adding all the new bumps SUCKS!

The 200 guys getting all the practice time SUCKS!

Dunlop didn't get the bike he was promised.

I finally busted the 2:00 mark with a 1:59.3 on my SS R6, which has been a long time goal. Second fastest lap of the old man race on Sunday!

wookie, grasshopper, cBJr and 10 others like this.
  7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

My favorite announcing faux pas was when Richard said something like "here's SDK on the dominate tire", but yet SDK has finished for two years in a row behind a different tire brand;)

The Great One and Circacee like this.
  8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

And speaking of George Milkma how are you doing George? Any idea when you will be back on a RR bike?

9. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Dominant as in showing up with 2 semi trucks and Crew vs privateer running the pirelli tent although doing a damn fine job and keeping people happy

gixxerboy55 and mike574 like this.
  10. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Are you sure the nascar's added the bumps and not the Rolex cars?

418 likes this.
  11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Big trucks, we don't need no stinking big trucks! My successor is doing a fine job with support from the Milan peeps by winning 3 of the last 5 Daytona 200s and dominating the top 3 of each. Very proud of that kid!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    ducnut and notbostrom like this.
  12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Don't dem Nascar cars weigh about 4 tons each and a Rolex prototype weighs about 1800 lbs each, just asking?

Gino230 likes this.
  13. mike574

mike574 Well-Known Member

Don't know the math's but Rolex prototype put alot more down force into the track so weight issues would be diffrent

418 and noles19 like this.
  14. noles19

Yes they weigh a lot but they also have tiny breaks and aren't going near as fast. Big breaks and more down force is normally the cause of the ripples. Look at cota after the f1 cars

jdmosley43 likes this.
  15. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

After doing many events at COTA I think they made some boo boos with the paving mix and the way it was put down, but...

Sabre699 likes this.
  16. noles19

That's a good point also

17. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Johnny B.....you in here ??

TLR67 likes this.
  18. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This.

19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Talking to a track partner/owner, he said the outright weight of the car is what creates the ripples. He said vintage Trans Am cars do more damage than anything. There was one of those motorcycle-engined aero cars there and the guy said he hoped to see more of them.

20. Gino230

I don't know the difference in potential bump generation qualities, I just assumed because the road course portion deteriorated so much this year (compared to sports cars which run the course all the time) that it was due to NASCAR running that configuration. The ones I noticed the most was the big one exiting the dogleg (not a braking zone) and the ripples where they added the chicane prior to the tri-oval specifically for the nascar race (which would have been a braking zone for that temporary chicane they added).

noles19 likes this.