1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Personality Type & PTSD & Racing

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave Wolfe, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Shit we all knew that

noles19 and Banditracer like this.
  2. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Nope. Looks to be perfectly functioning. :Poke:

Banditracer likes this.
  3. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Indeed.

Always thought those tests were BS.

I'm re-thinking that now....

Banditracer likes this.
  4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Hmmmm.... “website crashed repeatedly”.

Ducti89 likes this.
  5. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Says I’m an Adventurer, a introverted, observant, feeling, prospecting one. What?

I’ll give a couple of weeks an try again for a higher score.

6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I'm a ISTJ-A , Assertive Logistician whatever that means.

7. Dave Wolfe

For the PTSD side of the discussion - ptsd causes a permanent "fight or flight" response in the brain even when there is no threat. Somehow the adrenaline hit brings things back in balance for a short while. I feel good for a few days after racing. RC helicopters worked for that as well. And while PTSD is typically brought on by traumatic events, it can also be caused by being stuck in a lousy situation for a length of time where you dont feel safe and have no escape, alcoholic parents, etc, but doesnt require any one or repeated traumatic event. PTSD from a traumatic event is the easier one to treat from the small amount of research ive done so far.

YamahaRick and Yzasserina like this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Sounds like the divorce thread... :crackup:

StaccatoFan likes this.
  9. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

If you haven't yet read it, or are so inclined read such things, try the book: The Body Keeps Score, by Bessel Van der Kolk.
    It addresses some of things you are talking about.

10. Dave Wolfe

Yep ive got that one and its great. Now im on to Pete Walker's Complex PTSD: From surviving to thriving. Ive just started on this one as i'm c-ptsd and that is a bit of a different animal.

11. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

The Body Keeps Score is a great book. I tend to go back and forth between that one and my mandatory therapy books. I have a C-PTSD diagnosis along side my ADHD that was diagnosed at 6 (Twice the dose of forgetfulness, disorganization, and anxiety.)

My thirst was quenched for years riding like an asshole on the street with the boys, and when I grew out of that I started running into burning buildings. My C-PTSD doesn't so much come out in impulsive and highrisk behaviors - it's people pleasing. Because if the people weren't pleased when I was growing up - life was miserable.

Therapy has helped, and now through the guidance of a good friend I am writing my story...I get overwhelmed and have to go back and forth from my trauma story and the sci-fi I am writing so I don't descend completely into darkness. But it is so damn cathartic to get it out. I have also been participating in the trauma studies that Harvard does - I have the need to help people, so I toss myself headlong into aiding research on how the PTSD brain works.

I have Pete Walker's book in my queue - I will get going on it.

12. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

Except Myers Briggs is total bullshit, created by a mother and daughter with no psychological training whatsoever based on the unproven theories of Jung, who himself cautioned against using his theories in an absolute manner.

The company that markets this crap to your HR departments makes more than 20 million a year off this test, that has no actual basis in science.

CBRRRRR999 and pscook like this.
  13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

And depressed, which is evidently natural for you.

US RATES OF DEPRESSION BY STATE.png

14. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I can’t take credit for Utah...but correlation sometimes *does* equal causation :D

15. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Hey, for Utah, it might just the special underwear....

t500racer likes this.
  16. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Ya know the PTSD would subside a little if you stopped rooting for Rossi. Just saying. :)

17. Dave Wolfe

Daaaayyyuummmmmm ima gonna whoop yer ass !!!!

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So a normal guy.

YamahaRick and Phl218 like this.
  19. Dave Wolfe

I totally relate to the people pleasing. I had to always very carefully choose my words to avoid setting certain people off. Which normal people tend to find a bit off.

20. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

Yep - and then people get pissed when it takes too long to respond because you are going through all of your mental notecards, and images, and emotions trying to put the correct response together so you don’t end up getting screamed at.