1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda S2000: 4 hours left. How high?

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I would love one of those, my budget would not cover it. :)

That't a Lambo, I believe a Diablo, but I didn't compare pictures to verify.

2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Yes it is Lambo. Motor fits pretty good. He paid 90k for it.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nah man, the question is WHY. :D

Yeah, the LS is probably more reliable but still, why? That's like surgically grafting a penis onto scarlett johansson. (might be cool if it was in the middle of her forehead but still, a waste).

L8RSK8R and Boman Forklift like this.
  4. Boman Forklift

Wow, that sounds like a good price.....although it would probably be hard not to have that 12 cylinder singing behind my head.

Back in the early 2000's I owned a viper and my boss bought a brand new Lambo Diablo. He let me take it out and I let him drive my Viper. Down low the Lambo didn't really feel any quicker, we never raced them side by side that I remember, but the Lambo felt so solid and connected (4 wheel drive) where the Viper would come around and bite you quickly if you got silly with the throttle.

The Lambo 12 cyl sounded so much cooler!!!!! And it obviously looked cooler too. I think way back then he paid a little over 300K for it.

5. TWF2

That is what he said, he could not resist. He bought my Cayman couple years ago. Sold it and bought this thing.
    I think I want American car next, Shelby or zl1, leaning zl1.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I don't know. My balls tell me I'd rather have a Viper over the Lambo.

No idea why, just the risk of death every time I'd drive it. lol!

7. Boman Forklift

I think the Viper is definitely the best bang for the buck on the used car market with stupid speed. However they are finally starting to go up in value.

I would come around a corner in 2nd gear and stab the throttle about 40-50% and I could drift around the corner and then hold it for awhile going down the street, sometimes fishtailing a bit. Took me a bit of practice and a few screw ups to be able to consistently do it. It was sooo much fun I literally had to do it multiple times on my drive to work or to a store.....but not in the neighborhood.

No traction control, no abs, and a lot of torque, it would get away from you pretty easily. I think I told it here before but, within the first week of owning it, I remember coming off the freeway on a nice exit ramp that you could carry speed on. At the apex I punched it instead of "rolling on" the throttle, I was already in 2nd or 3rd and going at least 60 and she shot sideways because the curve was slightly off camber and I stupidly punched it to the floor. Scared the shit out of me and I thought for sure I was crashing it. Let off the throttle, turned into it, and luckily she came right back.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Montoya, Seiko, Dave K and 1 other person like this.
  8. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Oh shit, it is. From that angle I looked at it quickly and thought Lotus Esprit.

bleacht and BigBird like this.
  9. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Vipers are garbage to drive. They are the best example of "fast on a track and no good anywhere else" on the road.
    As for how to fit an LS in anything, sawzall and JB can make anything happen.

BigBird likes this.
  10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Did it have the trans swapped out as well? Someone got some cool parts cnc'd :D

11. TWF2

Yes, manual transmission. I did not look to close but it did look like nice and clean swap.
    He would not let me touch car, he pulls shirt over the hand when touching paint :)
    Not sure how he got himself to drive up to my house on gravel :)

TurboBlew and Boman Forklift like this.
  12. Boman Forklift

Vipers definitely take some skill to drive, since they are raw with no driver aids.....well at lest the Gen 2 was. It drove/handled much better than my 930 Turbo.

I will say I remember coming onto an on ramp in my modded 03 Mini Cooper S with about 210HP. I told Tyler hold on, we will smoke this Viper through this on ramp, because I knew how much respect the driver has to give the car when it is on street tires with no traction aid. We went right on by on the inside through the clover leaf with stability control engaged and then he passed us back on the straight. LOLOL

BigBird likes this.
  13. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

cha0s#242 and BigBird like this.
  14. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

lol i told my sisters friend to get one recently when she had 30K to spend... i had no idea they could get that high even with exceptional details.

she said she wanted something sporty and cute.. but kinda fast lol

15. SLLaffoon

I wish I could know, but couldn't get someone to hand me keys. The only Viper I drove was at Skip Barber 20 years ago. More recently, I was cross shopping them with a 997 GT3 and a GT350. Both the latter handed me keys, but not even close for the Viper. It's probably for the better. Older me can't quite justify putting that amount of $$ into a depreciating asset. I ended up buying the GT350 because 1) it was the best smile machine of the group; 2) the value wouldn't crater if I want to put miles on it; and 3) even if the value does crater, it doesn't completely violate my rule of "don't drive/ride anything in anger that you aren't willing to see leave in a front loader." Apparently I should have invested in a garage queen S2000...

For the S2000 people, what's the experience compared to a 986 Boxster?

16. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

I had a 2014 Boxster S, and I worked at a Honda dealership when the first gen s2000 came out. While the S2000 was a lot of fun with its lightswitch powerband and close-ratio trans, the 981 Boxster would demolish it in any way that could be measured. As for the 986, it is a little closer comparison.
    I'm sure that it would be a lot easier to locate an unmolested 986 or 981 with low one-owner mileage and full service records than an acceptable s2000.

black knight likes this.
  17. Boman Forklift

Stephen,
    Well if I ever get another one or any sports car you are welcome to drive it.

On another note this Saturday morning, Tyler and I are going to the Cars and Coffee show in San Clemente, I didn't realize it is the biggest one in California until finding the link. https://www.southoccarsandcoffee.com/ If you aren't doing anything come join us.

It's a fun show, years ago Dan Gurney let Tyler sit on his motorcycle when it was down at Crystal Cove. When it was in Irvine, it was the first place I saw a Bugatti Veyron. Chip Foose brought one of his cool customs down years ago. In Irvine we saw a guy unload a streetable funny car and idle it into the show. When he left he lit them up and it sounded just like a funny car, it was really cool, although not practical. The Irvine show got out of hand in the weeks after that, and the police started really cracking down on exhibitions of speed.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  18. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

You passed on gods gift to the porsche world?!?!?!?!?!?!?! DIE WELT IST FLACH!!!!!
    Seriously, the 997 is the best thing Porsche has made.
    Conversely, the first two gen's of boxsters suck. The S2000 is better in literally every way.

I should add, all my experience besides a Ferrari 360 at AMP has been street driving and not pushing these things hard all the time.

19. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Prices on BAT have been nuts. My best friend growing up just bought a 73 Bronco on there a week or 2 back. I was shocked at what he paid.

BigBird likes this.
  20. SLLaffoon

Yep, and I still think it's the right decision, at least in the present. No guarantees for the future. The Porsche crowd seems to be an interesting bunch, with some wanting records of whether or not I ever farted in the driver seat. I also can be slightly more incognito in the Mustang. Not that I don't still browse 911s, but maybe not the GT3. I've been close quite a few times. I think I need to find one with a couple scratches or dings on it for the right price.