2020 NFL Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Hmmm. Is this something that has to be done prior to the actual pick? Say Trevor Lawrence says "I won't go to that team if they pick me", what recourse does that team have? The whole point is to give bad teams a chance to catch up. If they are denied picks, what chance will they ever have? Do they receive financial compensation from the team Trevor eventually goes to?

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Not a good look for the player, but the team has no recourse. It's a risk the team takes drafting that player.

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

They can attempt a trade with a team that the drafted player will play for. Usually they don't get full value for them, but they do get something. The alternative is the team plays hard ball and sends a message that if you don't sign, you won't play. If the player doesn't have much financial resources to fall back on, that will play to the team's favor in the negotiation. I would suspect players in that situation would not put that kind of message out. When you have nothing, you don't care quite so much about who is paying you millions to play football.

4. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Ahem.
    NFL: Draft Flashback: Chargers Select Eli Manning No. 1 Overall, Then Trade Him To Giants
    Leading up to the 2004 NFL Draft, Eli Manning, the consensus No. 1 pick, went public, telling the San Diego Chargers, owners of the draft's first overall selection, he did not want to play for them. This set the stage for one of the biggest trades in NFL draft history. San Diego selected Manning with the first overall pick, but he was only a Charger for 45 minutes, as they soon traded him to the Giants for Philip Rivers, whom New York took at No. 4.
    Not a like for like trade, but the Chargers did get something.

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

with the current CBA the $$ is already known before the draft even happens. I believe the Charger Bosa didn't like some addendums to his contract and refused to sign it. The dollar amount was not the issue though.

6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Lest we forget:

Eagles suck...

BigBird likes this.
  7. BigBird

BigBird blah

They hung in there though. I though the game was over right before the half, but they scored that TD. At least the Giants get to hold onto first for one week.

[​IMG]

Sabre699 likes this.
  8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

9. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Corrections - *NFL-caliber players, *Jets

BigBird likes this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

Baltimore vs Pittsburgh is on now

11. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

Yay! Wednesday afternoon football.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Shit, thanks!

13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Is this all of the regular players or do they have the jockstrap washer playing QB in this game, too? :rolleyes:

14. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

RG3 is QB for ravens... and 16 (I think it was) other "non-starters" who are playing pretty good except for that last sequence.

Steelers have a handful of starters out as well.

15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

A small step up, then?

:D

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I missed 98% of the game because I didn't pay attention to the NFL crapola this week. Sam caught that it was on looking at Twitters. :mad:

Not upset with the results of the game though. :crackup:

BigBird likes this.
  17. BigBird

BigBird blah

Jets Suck
    Giants 1st Place

~sent from mobile

Sabre699 likes this.
  18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I am starting to believe the Browns are for real. That will doom them for sure.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  19. BigBird

BigBird blah

I bet them straight up to beat the Titans....yesterday was a good day with the Giants/Browns/Rams, only the Colts/Texans game messed me up (i bet the over) from winning my 4 team parlay.

20. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Jags suck...
    Falcons suck...

Friggin' Jets (who suck) keep losing and are ahead of the Jags (who suck) for the Trevor pick. :(
    Browns are real. Giants leading the NFC east at 5-7 is a sad statement for that division (but Bird is happy).

And great lordy mama... the Lions won !! :eek:

BigBird likes this.